MK802 - 1.5Ghz Android 4.0/Linux Computer on a stick for $80 delivered

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
I'm seriously considering buying one of these (See link below)

1.5 Ghz CPu, 1GB ram, 4Gb Nand Flash, Android 4.0 preinstalled. Looks like great compromise between the cheaper Pi and the more expensive (but better) Cotton Candy. $80 delivered, to tempting.

Just seen videos with it running other OS's like Ubuntu 10.04 Linux

http://lightake.com/...V_Player_-54773

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cotton Candy does look awesome, but it's expected to be about $199 mark, 2.5 times more expensive.

Hopefully they will lower the price by the time it launches. For the moment the 1gb version of the MK802 looks the goer. $80 including shipping. For the specs, seems an awesome buy.

Very nice, I like

Eii0h.jpg

Would be good to see a comparison review between this(MK802) and the Rasberry Pi. Im guessing the MK802 would take the cake by a long way.

I also get the feeling we are about to see a whole bunch of these type of devices come to market.

I've got a A10 1.2Ghz (1.6Ghz if you add on the 400Mhz GPU, which they always seem to do) tablet. It was surprisingly good actually, I was very impressed by its speed considering the price (I paid £50 brand new)

It will playback 1080p x264 without many issues, I'm not able to test whether it passes through DTS but it was happy enough decoding to stereo. I plugged it into my TV and the videos looked very good indeed. Assuming it the Play Store installed then you have access to loads of programs and apps. The GPU is very good and plays even some of the more complex games without to much hassle.

I like the look of it.

It's nice and clean.

Agreed, and that semi-translucent end bit really sets it off. I hate to say it but that was probably what swayed me to grabbing one and giving it a try. I have a problem!

I've got a A10 1.2Ghz (1.6Ghz if you add on the 400Mhz GPU, which they always seem to do) tablet. It was surprisingly good actually, I was very impressed by its speed considering the price (I paid £50 brand new)

It will playback 1080p x264 without many issues, I'm not able to test whether it passes through DTS but it was happy enough decoding to stereo. I plugged it into my TV and the videos looked very good indeed. Assuming it the Play Store installed then you have access to loads of programs and apps. The GPU is very good and plays even some of the more complex games without to much hassle.
Have you tried any emulators on it?

Have you tried any emulators on it?

Only Megadrive, which runs perfectly and N64, which has some frame skip and small skipping sound but does run fairly smoothly. N64 isnt as smooth as my Galaxy Nexus but thats a dual-core running at 1.4Ghz.

Tempted to buy one for inlaws so that they can use it for basic browsing on tv.

Have you tried skype?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

It's installed and logs in. Not actually tested it though but it does apparently work, even with the built-in webcam. Not sure how it would work with the one listed in the original topic, unsure if it has a mic built-in.

Could you plug this in the pandora and voila android ice cream sandwich on the pandora?

Very tempting, if it can cope with basic internet browsing & skype thats about all my inlaws would use it for. If it can work with a wireless keyboard & mouse that would be perfect.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Could anyone who's bought one of these please test it with a tv or monitor that isn't 1080p? I'm specifically interested to see if the scaling works properly at 1680x1050 and 1440x900 - but any resolution other than 1920x1080 would be great. Cheers!

This thing seems to be getting a lot of attention on the net . Loads of stories popping up. There seems to also be a number of vids popping up everyday on youtube such as the demo below.

Engadget seem to have done several stories on it now, including this one on the 512Mb version : http://www.engadget....on-impressions/

Lets hope the reviews and demos on the 1Gb version start to flood in now.

It's interesting , in one of the comparisons Engadget did in a previous review, they mentioned the Cotton candy had 2 advantages over the mk802 , CPU and memory, whereas the mk802 was 3 times cheaper. They had a poll asking people on one site, asking which they would choose, 80% chose the mk802(512mb version) over the more expensive but higher spec Cotton Candy. Now that the mk802 has the same memory(1gb), the Cotton Candy is looking dead in the water at $199. They have delayed the Cotton candy several times and I get the feeling that it will either be vapour ware or they are revamping it to be even better, so as to give it more of a buffer to the competition that has now come out. Time will tell.

Comparing the MK802 on paper to the Rasberry Pi, the specs favour the MK802 heavily. The interesting thing is the price point the Pi seems cheaper, but when you look at it, will actually set you back about the same amount. The Pi being about $50 - $60 delivered depending on where you live plus power supply, plus cables, plus case. Once you add all this up it will easily cost about the same as the MK802 . Remembering of course that MK802 comes cased and with all cables and power supply.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yBizEOtdDRA?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Back