Missing Members

Missing members you say?

And in other news, police hunting the maniac who has been terrorizing nudist camps with a bacon slicer say they are close to a break-through. Inspector Percy Johnson claims to have had a tip off this morning -but hopes to be back on duty in a couple of days.

:lol:

(sorry could not resist)

As you were...

Hi peelie. I suppose with a post like thats, things can only improve. :wink: j-k.

Are you 'peelie' from gp32x?

I think for some people it can be a little dawnting to post on a new forum when they don't know people, and as mentioned earlier, forums related to things like complex hardware can be a little elitist. (this forum is ok for the most part ^^)

But it can really put people off getting shot down for asking a question when they don't have coding knowledge or a good understanding of emulation and porting.

SyruM said:
I think for some people it can be a little dawnting to post on a new forum when they don't know people, and as mentioned earlier, forums related to things like complex hardware can be a little elitist. (this forum is ok for the most part ^^)

But it can really put people off getting shot down for asking a question when they don't have coding knowledge or a good understanding of emulation and porting.

I know what you mean and I'm happy, that you post your thoughts, so that we can develop a broadly accepted codex of behaviour on the boards :)
I havn't read a rude reply for a long time now, so it seems, that we are on the right track :)

i havent joined until now.

cause now i actually have something to say.

and the thing to say is, that until now, i havent had anything to say, and therefore i have not joined.

and thats because i dont even know where to start, i mean, i payed for this device, but dont even know if i will be able to fetch my mails with it when it actually arives. i lurk the forums and dont even understand what this thing actually will ship with, software wise, and noone else do neither, as it seems.

and thats because when someone asks for information, its all like "OH NOES, THE DEVS ARE BUSY, DONT HASSLE THE SAINT-LIKE DEVS". and its all up to speculation.

i payed money for this, and it isnt made by mother theresa. i thank the devs for making this, i truly do, but i also payed alot of money to them, and expected more info.

so. thats why. kinda.

love.

Hi tantepose, let me be the first to welcome you as a member.

Glad you had something to say. You have valid points, I think.

The reason there were 'leave the devs alone' post is because at times there have been lots of pressure to provide details, pictures or videos for things that weren't finished and people genuinely did not have time to satisfy every demand. It is interesting that it is three weeks since pre-rders and the Paypal situation has not been resolved, there has been little news from the official developers, with the key exception that the OS is based on xubuntu and without a 'normal' package manager for apps, both of which seem to have gone down like a lead balloon. I'll reserve judgment until it arrives I guess.

Make that one less missing member. Hey, there!

I've been following the Pandora quietly for months now, so as to not get too terribly swept up in the excitement following this killer device, but hey, I've made my preorder already, guess there's no use keeping my mouth shut, huh?

Wish I had something vital or exciting to say, but I've got no experience in developing, coding, or anything open source (except for the GP2X!), so there wouldn't be anything I'd rattle off of particular value... Though I do dabble in art, so if there's anything anyone could possibly want out of that, for software or just to pass the time until Pandora makes her way onto our doorsteps, feel free to speak up.

That being said, it's nice to meet all you punks. I look forward to being a part of this awesome community.

I think non-english speakers didn't come here or never read these articles.
Especially,these off-topic articles.So they never join here.
Non native english users don't like off-topic(=no infomation) long text,because I don't want to try to read these things too.

A warm welcome to SuperButtPunch and windwalker. Nice to have you along.

SuperButtPunch you could always post a sample of your work if you want. Either in a separate thread or here if you don't want to start one.

windwalker, I think you are right about some non-English speakers, and that could be quite a few. Possibly they already belong to gp32x or another forum.

I think most people prefer to be lurkers. Over at gp32x.de, I believe that a lot of people only signed up when
(a) they had some kind of issue with their device (installing something, bricked, etc.) or
(b) something was ported/homebrewed that they really liked or were waiting for.

In Pandoras case, at the moment we don't really have either reason, which is probably why there are so few member accounts on this board.

My €0.02...

Last edited by a moderator:
Opportunity knocks...Hi, I'm JHemperly. I've been lurking here since preordering and i suppose this is a great opportunity to introduce myself. Being the gadget freak i've always been,when I found out about the Pandora and that it was being designed FOR emulation, i couldn't stop myself from ripping my credit card out of my wallet and ordering one. I've had several devices that I've hacked to run emulators, such as a PSP, DS, Ipod touch, and even had emulators on my old slow Pocket PC. Then of course i've run them on my Wii, xbox, playstation, and PC. I simply cannot wait to get my hands on my Pandora and get into some of the emulators i haven't played in a long time. As some others have said, I have no programming experience with linux and really haven't spent a huge amount of time with it. That said, I have a hunch this device may actually get me interested in learning some programming or perhaps some GUI design (I <3 photoshop). Anyway, just wanted to say "hello" and get myself involved in this very friendly community. See you all soon!

Welcome JHemperly, consider yourself introduced, and nice to hear you are so enthusiastic..

Harsh JayFoxRox, especially after they have said they want to get "involved in this very friendly community". It's their first post, and the device was designed as the successor to GP2X, which was used commonly for Homebrew and _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . Anyway, it was designed for emulation but it wasn't designed just for emulation. :)

Wasn't meant to be a flame or anything, its just pretty annoying to hear it over and over again. It just nulls out my interest in developing for it more and more.
Welcome tho..

JayFoxRox,
I realize that it wasn't designed just for emulation. I think what i was really trying to say is that this thing was really designed with that in mind, rather than something that you have to hack to get it working. Trust me, I'm definitely looking forward to more than just emulators...after all, why would i invest so much money in something for the sole purpose of just playing old games. I look forward to all the native applications this device will be able to cram into my pocket as well! :D I got rid of my laptop a year ago, and although my ipod touch has internet and some really fun apps, it's just not as useful as a full size laptop. I think the Pandora will really be useful as essentially a really tiny laptop. Having said all that, no flame taken. Good luck with your development! I hope i haven't discouraged you from making something really fantastic for the Pandora.

Oh, and TaG...feel free to refer to me as "he" if you'd like. :) Writing "their" has got to be a tad awkward. Cheers!

JHemperly said:
Oh, and TaG...feel free to refer to me as "he" if you'd like. :) Writing "their" has got to be a tad awkward. Cheers!
I thought when I wrote that it. You can guarantee when you assume 'he' that'll be the time you upset some lady. :wink:

You're not alone with how you think of the Pandora, either.

Well, I've been watching the gp32x forums for literally years, since long before the gp2x was released - i used to think about getting a gp32 but was never quite convinced and there was always a better cause for my cash. I think I even got a forum account a couple of times to ask some questions, but I think it then got disabled.

But I joined this forum straight away, and I find it much more professional, easy to use and easy to read. I know gp32x is where the community started but it really isnt too straightforward to use, or easy on the eye, and when I used to browse it childish flame wars and off-topic comments were absolutely everywhere, and it was generally just kind of annoying to try and get information from. Having said that, I haven't really been on it too much lately.

I don't know what the developers of the pandora think, but if I was in their position I would want to present a really good image to newcomers - let's face it, the crowd over at gp32x are pretty much all pandora buyers already, and to keep this project moving new customers are needed. And however big a part of the project, the usability and friendliness of the forums are important for a business venture like this. There is a freshness about these forums that gives the idea that they are tidier and easier to navigate, there are less threads because it is new but each one contains exactly the information you need. And there are links to gp32x when it has superior information for something, if it's really needed.

I'm not critising the gp32x forums, its great the community that has built up there, and without them we wouldn't have the pandora. But I think it's the future, not the past, that is important. And I think that perhaps both forums are needed in some way.

I think a lot of the reasons people aren't using these forums are:
+ They are already members of gp32x
+ This forum is no longer linked to from the pandora home page (AFAIK)
+ Other reasons already covered here

Back