Missing Members

TaG

Fau-fau-faulty software.
Website
Visit site
This forum was linked to from openpandora.org so there is probably a Pandora bias.
There were 4000ish Pandoras sold.
There are, at the time of writing, 976 members.
That means there are 3000ish missing members.
Some of those units might have been been bought to resell, but surely not a huge quantity?

Where are the missing members?

I doubt they are unregistered lurkers here, as there are never that many.

Is there anything we can do to encourage them to join and take part, or are they all at gp32x.de?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people just want the device, and don't feel that it's necessary to join the community. You can't expect everyone to contribute, a fourth is relatively good for pre-launch

It's possible a few people found that with Hotmail accounts they couldn't register on GP32X and either assume the same is true here or haven't made a second attempt... yet ;)

I'm sure they don't want to bother to look at the forums every ten minutes. No real updates will be given until close to the shipping date of the system anyway. At least that what I think they think.

are you talking about why people aren't joining gp2x?
if so, I haven't made the switch yet, since I don't have a Pandora in my hands yet
once I do get one, I'll be sure to join the community

as of now though, I'm just over here because the forums seem to be much better looking/easy to use for me
I'm sure I'll get used to gp2x when I make the switch though :)

I know I got 2 people to buy a Pandora, and they aren't members of this forum. I'm sure some where bought to resale, but I also believe it's very possible the majority of the orders are individuals.

I've never even been to the other forums. And I don't plan to register until this one dies, cause, well, I like this board much better. It's off to a clean start, and far better organized.

Amnesiasoft said:
I like this board much better.

Amnesiasoft said:
I've never even been to the other forums.

The other one has a LOT of information on it my suggestion would be to try it. it might not be as pretty but it works great. (most of the time)

Listen... while this board may have an overall more noob friendliness, the other board while semi elitist has much more information and knowledgeable members. its like a bunch of mini chips

xGunCrazyx said:
are you talking about why people aren't joining gp2x?
No, I was talking about this forum.

Pandora is a product that needs a community to build a good software base. I thought that many of the people that buy it would join in with the community. There were 976 members of forum.openpandora.org, many of whom have not preordered so there are 3000 or more people that have preordered and not joined forum.openpandora.org. I wondered why they hadn't joined.

I have had to sign up to this forum just to point-out to TaG that people can only tell you why we haven't signed-up to this forum by signing-up to this forum. :twisted:

I didn't bother before because I was hoping that everything would move back to the GP32X boards once they were fixed.

I personally think that having two boards will now split the community. The GP32X boards are where all this started, and in my opinion, the GP32X boards will die as both the GP2X and Wiz fall into obscurity just as the GP32 did.

Everyone who ordered a Pandora (me included) will have to migrate to this board for the latest news/gossip.

And for the smartalic who points out that we can be members of both boards -- I only want to visit one board, not read through duplicate posts on both boards to filter-out the info I want.

I think, there isn't enough substantial to talk about right now for most people. I've been lurking around for a year on gp32x without registering. I just signed in here after preordering to help building up the community :)
I'm sure, that the member count will explode when the Pandora is delivered, so be prepared :wink:

Like others noted - I hadn't bothered to register on this board - since I was hoping that somehow we'd be reunited with the other board.

carlos, PolloLoco: I totally agree about there being one board or a split - I have posted a few times on this. Personally I favoured going back to gp32x.de to keep the community together. I have also said that there seems to be more people visiting the other board now it is back to normal.
Thanks for taking the trouble to sign up and respond. :)

PoisonedV said:
Listen... while this board may have an overall more noob friendliness, the other board while semi elitist has much more information and knowledgeable members. its like a bunch of mini chips
I agree.

gerd said:
I think, there isn't enough substantial to talk about right now for most people...
I'm sure, that the member count will explode when the Pandora is delivered, so be prepared :wink:
I sure hope they do join in - I guess I expected a few more to join in at this stage having just invested a sizable sum of money, unless they were already part of the gp32x.demunity.

I joined gp32x.de first after a bit of lurking. Then posted 1x, forgot my password. Used the password reset form and it has never worked for me, not even today. I never get the email. Just before this post I registered again with a different email address. I didn't want to register again with another address. No bother I guess, I didn't use this ID over there and I don't post a lot as it is so nothing of value was lost.

I sure hope they do join in - I guess I expected a few more to join in at this stage having just invested a sizable sum of money, unless they were already part of the gp32x community.

I think it is a question of the character a person has. Not everyone will join a board. Also take into consideration, that some might think, that they don't write good enough english. It is rare that an important question isn't asked, so it is often enough to read the boards from time to time to get the info needed.

gerd said:
I sure hope they do join in - I guess I expected a few more to join in at this stage having just invested a sizable sum of money, unless they were already part of the gp32x community.
I think it is a question of the character a person has. Not everyone will join a board. Also take into consideration, that some might think, that they don't write good enough english. It is rare that an important question isn't asked, so it is often enough to read the boards from time to time to get the info needed.
Good points well made.

rjardina said:
Here is one, what should I talk about?
Welcome. Talk about anything you like, within reason :wink: . Both this forum and gp32x.de are pretty friendly and informative places. Or just introduce yourself...

Hey, if a few people have joined up to answer this thread it was well worth it. :)

Back