Gp2x Break Out Box (finished Product)

so then, has anyone here been able to use qtopia with a usb keyboard with this thing?

I'd much rather buy a gp2x than a big ass laptop, but I need something with an office program.

Why does the official bob come without casing? How easy is it to use USB storage, keyboard, mouse, joystick, and what is the bob ultimately for? Will the bob turn my GP2x into a linux computer? Can you really use the bob to make a divx home theatre, ogg jukebox, and mame cabinet? It seems so cool but how easy is it to get all these things to work? Is there documentation?

tshroom posted on Jul 4 2006 at 05:36 PM said:
Why does the official bob come without casing? How easy is it to use USB storage, keyboard, mouse, joystick, and what is the bob ultimately for? Will the bob turn my GP2x into a linux computer? Can you really use the bob to make a divx home theatre, ogg jukebox, and mame cabinet? It seems so cool but how easy is it to get all these things to work? Is there documentation?

Not sure if it was the intended purpose but that's pretty much what HydraLancer and I are working on doing. The design is to convert the GP2X into a small box (maybe about the size of a miniature PS2) that will plug into a TV via S-Video or Composite RCA and the normal RCA L/R audio jacks, plug into one more-powerful power brick (that will be distributed across the internal components)-- GP2X MK1 First Edition board, interface board and probably a notebook hard disk.. the USB ports will be on one side, for connecting USB controllers in a game console format or a keyboard/mouse in a computer format, or arcade sticks in a Cabinet format. The other side would house the A/V and power jacks, and the units would be wired together internally, the LCD, buttons and casing removed, and power switch/LED mounted outside the unit. Internally we'd probably wire up a notebook hard disk via a controller/adapter that attaches to USB (acting as a standard USB Mass Storage device), a customized menu would boot off the NAND and enable TV output right away, enabling selection of the desired task via USB controller or keyboard input. Internally we'd probably also add an 802.11g WiFi adapter (USB).

That's the sort of thing you can get away with using the board. I'm really looking forward to building that .. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back