Gp2x Break Out Box (finished Product)

Aninhumer posted on Apr 5 2006 at 06:11 PM said:
Deed posted on Apr 5 2006 at 01:24 PM said:
I don't think internal HDD is really necessary as we could hook up an external HDD via USB, right ?
Except that most of us have a spare 3.5" HDD anyway, so it would be cheaper to use that.

Eh, if it raises the cost of the unit more than about $20, you can just buy a USB enclosure for the old HD (I made myself a 40GB external drive like this for $60 bucks when the going rate was $160. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

i would like to know something about the HD support. As for now Linux filesystem doesn´t support NTFS, as for writing, reading is possible. Well the gp2x kernel uses FAT32 filesystem and at my knowlege that only supports average 100 GB partitions and 4 GB single files.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

fat32 supports partitions up to 2tb and a max filesize of 4gb, the gp2x kernel dosnt "use" fat32, but its supports it.

Yeah, ok thanks. So there would be no worries about using larger disks with breakout box.

GeminiDomino posted on May 24 2006 at 02:37 AM said:
I don't think internal HDD is really necessary as we could hook up an external HDD via USB, right ?
Except that most of us have a spare 3.5" HDD anyway, so it would be cheaper to use that.
Eh, if it raises the cost of the unit more than about $20, you can just buy a USB enclosure for the old HD (I made myself a 40GB external drive like this for $60 bucks when the going rate was $160. ;)
They are now moving to a mini-BoB because GPH has started making the big docking ones.

Try this for a beautiful 1.8" 20GB HDD, $10 more than a hi-speed A-Data 4gb SD! ($99.99)

INOi MyDrive 20GB USB 1.8" Newegg.com

I think it looks very stylish next to the GP2X, also looks kinda like a Razr cellphone, either way look at the pictures with the USB connector, Yikes that is tiny.

I know the price is more, but the 20GB is nothing to decry at that size, and it is still more long-lasting than flash-based memory. Plus I bet you could get a larger one soon, and I am dreaming of ways to replace the back of the GP2X with one closer to the motherboard so I can clip this drive to the back and use two AA under each side like a Game Gear.

Shouldn't be too hard, just need a flat piece of plastic that screws to the original board on standoffs and use some battery clips that screw onto that, then nestle that mini 1.8" HDD in there with the new mini-BoB and put a vacuum-formed cover over all of it. It wouldn't be that hard at all, in fact someone should be making alternative backs to the GP2X with different BoB, HDD, CF HDD, Li-Ion battery pack options, etc.

One basic back replacement to provide a flat surface (perhaps with dents for popular AA battery configurations), and a modular design against the flat surface provided, then just use simple shells to clip over the entire mod, it can be very elegant. Please, please GPH and ED and techFreak steal my idea and do it!!

Imagine a super-slim back with 2 or 3 li-ion packs in it and a control circuit, no bulge 7 hours+ run-time( the 2 Li-Ion one would have room for the Super-micro BoB with the A/V 3.5mm phono jack and one USB).

Then one not much wider than the current GP2X, but with 20GB internal, 4AA NiMH, AND a mini-BOB, I think it is possible to do.

If the back cover replacement was modular, you could buy one with all options you felt like, and then the snap on covers come in slim Li-Ion, and thicker AA/HDD ones, rubber or plastic plugs could fill the holes if you didn't feel like using a BoB option.

I honestly hope someone is planning on marketing/perfecting this idea. If not I have a plan to use Aluminum for the back cover replacer and let all the hardware hang out in the air, I love the purposeful look of raw functional modding (not ugly mind you, I would hide the wiring and use that very sleek 1.8" HDD above.

nubie posted on May 24 2006 at 06:24 PM said:
GeminiDomino posted on May 24 2006 at 02:37 AM said:
They are now moving to a mini-BoB because GPH has started making the big docking ones.

who are they? gph are making a big docking BoB? where's this info from?

For filesystems... If you're only going to use the drive with the gp2x and transfer files over samba, you could use any linux supported filesystem (at least, that the kernel has included or you can get as a module). EXT2/3 might be a good fit; reiserfs would probably be a bit too cpu intensive.

Paradox posted on May 24 2006 at 12:29 PM said:
who are they? gph are making a big docking BoB? where's this info from?
techFreak, the guy who started this topic, he runs the Turkey GP2X shop: http://www.gp2xtr.com/
Yes, that is what is claimed, a dock of some sort on the Break Out Box.
This Thread, go back and read techFreak's last few posts.

techFreak posted on May 23 2006 at 12:26 AM said:
As GPH is working on the project that we already completed, we are working on a solution that is more advanced and portable for GP2X.
He says clearly that he is no longer pursuing the regular BoB and now will concentrate on a portable one.

yoyoyoyoyoyoyo posted on May 24 2006 at 01:04 PM said:
Nice deal, but look at my INOi MyDrive 20GB USB 1.8" Newegg.com, the 1.8" drives are as Long as your 2.5" is Wide.

lintsniffer posted on May 24 2006 at 03:44 PM said:
Are there any online schematics for making a USB hub for your gp2x?

Read my new Sig :) :), GP2X, Modders welcome!!

You'll pay $43.99 and get a MONSTER CABLE USB EXTENSION CORD with TITANIUM-MAGNESIUM ALLOY SHIELDING and DINITROGEN INJECTED INSULATION to shield your PRECIOUS SIGNAL from MARTIAN RAYS. Buy one on eBay for cheap.

yoyoyoyoyoyoyo posted on May 24 2006 at 05:49 PM said:
Does anyone know where I can get a USB adapter that has Female ends one both sides?

What do you need it for? I might be able to dredge up an alternative.

yoyoyoyoyoyoyo posted on May 25 2006 at 04:22 AM said:
I want it so I can connect a regular sized USB cabe to one end and one with a mini-B USB cable to the other side.

I can't find one of those, why do you need that?

If you are going to be connecting it to a GP2X you will need to solder something to a EXT port connector, so why not just use one end of a cable with USB A Female and solder that straight to a TV-Out cable or Samsung e810 serial data cable? (see my sig link to the wiki).

I can't see what you are trying to accomplish, if you could let me know what you plan on plugging into what maybe I can help.

Keeping in mind that the USB mini-b on the side of the GP2X goes to a USB Device chip and we can't change that without changing the chip on the motherboard.

anyone planning on building or know anyone who is making a GP2x cable with serial and JTAG abilities since thats the main reason i wanted the BoB aswell as wanting TV out so i could test out skins (which i cant do just now)

but i am willing to settle for a cable that just does jtag and serial out

Could you add the following:

- Black casing
- Some way to secure the GP2X to the BoB

Then, I'd definitely pay $50 + shipping for this.

I think the ultimate one for portability and usefulness would be a 'jacket' style one, like the Neo-Pad for PSP. You could put extra rechargable batteries for hours of playing, a cf/microdrive slot, 4 USB ports, an ethernet port and built in WiFi, and of course TV and audio outs. That thing would be so cool that any GP2xer that wouldn't want one is a total imbicele! And of course it would have to have little pop-out legs to stand it up for film watching etc. :p

Back