Microsoft windows Longhorn

MateriaFox

Still Fresh
Recently i found out that this was supposed to be the successor to XP but it was scrapped in favor for Vista. This topic is for anyone who has further knowledge on the OS and those who have tried it.I have been trying to create a bootable device from which i can boot a working build but I have not succeeded yet.  

Not exactly. Longhorn was the codename for an OS, but microsoft hadnt given it an actual name. The codename for vista was Longhorn-omega.  

Last edited by a moderator:
So to give an analogy, make sure I understand, it's like someone is pregnant and names the fetus "Bob" and then when it is born they look at the baby and think "that's not Bob, that's a Joe".

You want to talk about "Bob"? The "baby" before it was born and properly named "Joe"?

K. Sorry, I don't know much more to carry on the conversation, I was just curious if I had actually missed an operating system called "longhorn" or whatever.

This is Longhorn

jbEMY8Y.jpg

trying to find possible reasons why the project was reset. Build 4074 is the last longhorn build before the project was reset. apparently longhorn was designed to use the winFS and it was reset because they wanted an OS to use the widows server kernel. I would like to create a bootable device which could boot build 4074 or maybe Longhorn reloaded, if i can find a download for it.

According to wikipedia, In mid 2004 development on Longhorn had produced an over-featured, leaky, mess of bugs. Features had been added haphazardly, memory leaks were hard to track down, system performance was terrible.

The XP base code was scrapped in August 2004 in favour of Server 2003 because most developers on the project were veterans of Server 2003 and more likely to produce something much more reliable.

They didn't reset "because they wanted an OS to use the widows server kernel", it was reset because it was a horrible mess of bloated, slow, and buggy code, and they chose to use the Server 2003 kernel because it had the most likely chance of success in a short period of time.

Now I think about what Vista is, how bloated and slow it is, and if that's the reset and improved version of what was originally Longhorn then I can only shudder at how terribly it must have performed.

That's what I thought, just checking. The kids these days, with their bebops and hulahoops, all trouble I tells ya; can't tell what any one of them is saying, recgiven.

Back