Meta package PND for system update?

Ziz

Advanced Member
Hi,

I thought about the problem, that you need to know, that a new firmware update is available to make an update - There is no messagebox or tiny icon in the taskbar, that a new update is available.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want such stuff. I hate it, when applications or even the OS itself connects to the internet without asking me to check for update or even worse: download updates. I think there are much people using the Pandora with tethering of their mobile phones. I e.g. have only 200MB per month and Android did just download 30 MB unnecessary shit...

Anyway.

So I thought about making a PND, which does nothing more, but starting the update process. But the more important point is to give the PND the same version number as the SuperSaxxon version! Most of us use PNDManager at least once a week. Even without following every thread in the board you would get an update notice from PNDManager for the OS! Of course after the PND update you still have to start it yourself. And if you update it and don't start it, you may even forget about it. But you have at least a notice about an OS update!

What do you think about this?

Greetings

Ziz

Last edited by a moderator:
And how would that work, you start PNDManager, it shows that PND has updated, you select update and PND gets updated, but not the OS. Then you forget about all this and keep sitting with old OS?

It would make more sense to implement it in PNDManager itself (just compare package list file dates/sizes in pandora and on the server), but I'm not the one to do that.

I think what he meant was:

PNDManager could then just tell you that there's a firmware update available and start the upgrade os PND for you right away (like directly from PNDManager - to make sure you dont forget about it).

Right now firmware updates are not visible in PNDManager and you'd have to check for updates manually.

Imho thats a decent idea.

PNDManager could also just run the firmware upgrade pnd on startup, parse its results and ask the user for appropriate actions.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want such stuff. I hate it, when applications or even the OS itself connects to the internet without asking me to check for update or even worse: download updates. I think there are much people using the Pandora with tethering of their mobile phones. I e.g. have only 200MB per month and Android did just download 30 MB unnecessary shit...
An OS is good when it gives you the choice... personally I like this kind of stuff when it's unobtrusive and I'm not on limited internet bandwidth.Unlike for example Linux Mint does it by default: It is running some updates in the background all the time and it's locking up fucking apt so every second time you try some manual command the system is already busy and telling you to get lost. At least that was my impression in the brief amount of time it took me to realize the problem and stop it.

And how would that work, you start PNDManager, it shows that PND has updated, you select update and PND gets updated, but not the OS. Then you forget about all this and keep sitting with old OS?

It would make more sense to implement it in PNDManager itself (just compare package list file dates/sizes in pandora and on the server), but I'm not the one to do that.
Yes. I mentioned this disadvantage myself.Of course the best would be to implement it in PNDManager itself. But my workaround is faster to get. ;)

Back