megaupload shutdown.

Surely that is "stop [the] 'stop online piracy act'" and so, not a redundancy.

Down with VAT tax!

Filesonic site:

All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally.

Fileserve site:

down..

US Govt is happy, because closing MU was a good strategy. It scares the shit out from other filehosting..

what can i say: "only fearless survive.."

Filesonic site:

All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally.

Fileserve site:

down..

US Govt is happy, because closing MU was a good strategy. It scares the shit out from other filehosting..

What!?

Filesonic site:

Fileserve site:

down..

What!?
Are you surprised ? Seriously ?

One of the best tool to control people is "fear". Many gouvernments have tried that. Each time that method failed in the end. But one country have managed to ramp that enough slowly to not get a revolution and the only reason it's not here now is that they lost a war.

But now some are following that path for the sack of money...

Filesonic site:

Fileserve site:

down..

What!?
Are you surprised ? Seriously ?

One of the best tool to control people is "fear". Many gouvernments have tried that. Each time that method failed in the end. But one country have managed to ramp that enough slowly to not get a revolution and the only reason it's not here now is that they lost a war.

But now some are following that path for the sack of money...

Yes, I damn well am surprised. Sue me. Yes, I know that fear is powerful. But I didn't think other places would go down this quietly or easily!

Yes, I damn well am surprised. Sue me. Yes, I know that fear is powerful. But I didn't think other places would go down this quietly or easily!
Not sure if it works like that in the US as well, but once you have a legal precedent in suing one company it becomes quite a lot easier to sue another, similar company.

Yes, that's true, but still. I guess it's standard human shock; if your friend were to run around nude in Somalia, you'd probably be surprised if he got killed despite the country's near complete lack of government.

Not sure if it works like that in the US as well, but once you have a legal precedent in suing one company it becomes quite a lot easier to sue another, similar company.
actually, i believe its as easy as not even needing a lawsuit for the ones following the first one

Looks like there will be a renaissance in torrents if this progresses.

Anyone who remembers piracy as it existed before the internet will know this will only put the brakes on the 'casual' pirates. The commercial ones, the ones actually doing the most economic damage, stand to be rejuvenated by this nonsense.

Funkin' Govt Funkers Win :< this time:

http://torrentfreak....-action-120123/

As previously reported,
Uploaded.to banned all US IP addresses in what appears to be an effort to distance itself from US jurisdiction. Its affiliate program is still listed as operational but the same cannot be said about those run by some of its competitors.

VideoBB and VideoZer have both reportedly closed their rewards program and according to reports have also been mass deleting accounts and huge numbers of files.

Other sites closing their affiliate programs and/or deleting accounts/files include
FileJungle, UploadStation and FilePost.

Update: Smaller host UploadBox calls it quits. “All files will be deleted on January 30th. Feel free to download the files you store with UploadBox until this date.”

Update2: Another host, x7.to, shuts down.

Update 3: TorrentFreak has seen evidence that on request PayPal is refunding cash paid to Filesonic over the weekend.

Update 4: FileJungle and UploadStation have disabled all 3rd party downloads.

Update 5: 4shared cancels affiilate program.

Last edited:
When fighting those that hide in the shadows, it does you no good to turn off the light.

Paraquote from somewhere.

As previously reported, Uploaded.to banned all US IP addresses in what appears to be an effort to distance itself from US jurisdiction. Its affiliate program is still listed as operational but the same cannot be said about those run by some of its competitors.
That's actually a pretty good move. I would like to see more sites take an anti-US-law stance like this. Perhaps it might create some more awareness amongst the general population regarding these kinds of actions. I might be wrong but, from what I see over here, these topics don't seem to be getting any attention nor the serious discussion that they deserve.

While I don't agree with the practices of MegaUpload (essentially earning money by selling unauthorized access to other peoples work), I do not think that every sort of file-sharing service should be disallowed. If anyone has reliable figures on the legal/illegal ratio of files accessible on MegaUpload then let me know, I only encountered links to illegal stuff myself.

The problem is that any medium which allows a reasonably large file to be uploaded (and accessed unmodified) can be abused for piracy purposes and it's not entirely clear to me how that could be prevented either. The reaction we are witnessing now is rather excessive.

Well, I would think that Fileserve has that covered now. Share your account, you risk people reporting or defacing it.

Here's an interesting take on why Megaupload was really shut down.

https://plus.google....sts/HQJxDRiwAWq

In December of 2011, just weeks before the takedown, Digital Music News reported on something new that the creators of #Megaupload were about to unroll. Something that would rock the music industry to its core. (http://goo.gl/A7wUZ)

I present to you... MegaBox. MegaBox was going to be an alternative music store that was entirely cloud-based and offered artists a better money-making opportunity than they would get with any record label.

"UMG knows that we are going to compete with them via our own music venture called Megabox.com, a site that will soon allow artists to sell their creations directly to consumers while allowing artists to keep 90 percent of earnings," MegaUpload founder Kim 'Dotcom' Schmitz told Torrentfreak

Not only did they plan on allowing artists to keep 90% of their earnings on songs that they sold, they wanted to pay them for songs they let users download for free.

"We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

I think some of the conspiracy theorists need to ease up a bit in this thread... that shit is poisonous to the mind.

News articles only present so much of the real picture, and even after getting a view of that you don't know all the consequences of the presidential signing action. The NDAA just reaffirms the AUMF, and if you think that the law constitutionally allows the government to withhold a U.S. citizen without trial, think again... and again (look carefully, it's a different case). There were other provisions in that bill, so maybe Obama begrudgingly signed it just to get the rest through. And if you think the Supreme Court won't hear challenges about laws the people don't like, they're hearing the case on health care in March. My guess is that they'll strike down the individual mandate, who knows.

But seriously, stop with the batshit crazy talk. Let's talk about SOPA and not things that are only related because they have government-conspiracy-claim underpinnings.

It was probably shut down because the guy who was running it was acting like an idiot flashing his cash around.

If he had kept his head down and stayed quiet he could have gone on for years more.

The establishment is always ready to smash you down if you make money in questionable ways.

I know people right now who are making money from several 'suspect' methods online, often substantial sums,

for some reason they never know when to stop, and being 'megauploaded' is probably how it will end for them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back