megaupload shutdown.

And that happen the day after the SOPA/PIPA protest and way before this law is in function.

No matter what this is a great demonstration that SOPA dont target piratcy as this event show that the current US law already have the tools to bring website that help piratcy down.

So if it's not targetting piratcy it's targetting free speech. The goal of the law is therfore just to have an easy way to censure anything.

Now US citizen tell me that your country is the country of liberty... There are dictatorship that give more freedom than your country with the coming law.

The worst part of it is that once SOPA is on in the US, all the other country will feel the need to copy that stupid and dangerous law. Yeah for freedom.

Dont worry guys, the brave new world is coming...

Seriously, guys... Megaupload were making money hand-over-fist basically from nothing other than piracy. The only reason they were ever used for legitimate files at all, was because they were able to offer a good deal due to being largely subsidised by said piracy.

I have no sympathy for Megaupload, but the circumstances under which they have been taken down are somewhat dubious, and furthermore also present a clear example of why we don't need SOPA.

A majority of the folks complaining about the death of Megaupload are crying about their free, unlimited, pirate film streaming applications suddenly ceasing to work, or their huge repository of illegal material being deleted.

People who had legitimate uses for it, and are feeling burned by its abrupt takedown should probably have a long, hard look at their own thought processes. Who the hell chooses to host legitimate content on a site that's almost synonymous with piracy? Particularly if it holds any value. I think twice before putting stuff on any cloud storage server, but those shady, ad-infused, pyramid-scheme file locker sites? You've absolutely got to be fucking kidding me!

I saw this comming.. it seems that this is another small move of US Gov't to force hacker's [anonymous] move and attack. Then they'll be having clear light to push martial law in tha states* [because of cyberattacks..] and cease totally freedom of speech even without SOPA/PIPA and ACTA stuff.

* - theres already a resolution to push martial law after big cyberattack.

Last edited:
Seriously, guys... Megaupload were making money hand-over-fist basically from nothing other than piracy. The only reason they were ever used for legitimate files at all, was because they were able to offer a good deal due to being largely subsidised by said piracy.

I have no sympathy for Megaupload, but the circumstances under which they have been taken down are somewhat dubious, and furthermore also present a clear example of why we don't need SOPA.

A majority of the folks complaining about the death of Megaupload are crying about their free, unlimited, pirate film streaming applications suddenly ceasing to work, or their huge repository of illegal material being deleted.

People who had legitimate uses for it, and are feeling burned by its abrupt takedown should probably have a long, hard look at their own thought processes. Who the hell chooses to host legitimate content on a site that's almost synonymous with piracy? Particularly if it holds any value. I think twice before putting stuff on any cloud storage server, but those shady, ad-infused, pyramid-scheme file locker sites? You've absolutely got to be fucking kidding me!

Unfortunately I think we all know this is just the start of these activities.

They will go after more and more sites for fewer reasons, and people worry that eventually, oh I don't know, something like the Pandora or iControlpad might 'make all their money from piracy' too.

Ebay after all at first tried to make the Pandora a banned product due to the fact we are happy to promote emulators.

A company with deep pockets and influence in Government could make the Pandora's life difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly why we must oppose SOPA/PIPA. These sort of potential abuses are the very reason that they should never see the light of day. They would, as I'm sure everyone knows by now, allow sites to simply be shut down with no due process; without even a shred of real evidence.

The process by which Megaupload was taken down, however, was long, arduous and something that no industry is likely to embark upon simply out of bad faith.

Still it's sites like Megaupload, who flaunt the law, flaunt their wealth, and obviously do little to curb piracy whilst making money hand-over-fist from the practise, who have brought the big media industries of America to the end of their tether; these "file lockers" are the very reason we're all under threat in the first place.

Of course, it all goes back to Big Media, who have grown so fat and incumbent with raw seething greed that they're physically incapable of responding to the chance in consumer demand fast enough, and prefer instead the simpler route of lobbying to prop up their existing, dangerously unstable business model.

Any support of the film and music industries in their current state, is clearly setting our children, or even ourselves, up for one mother of a recession. Imagine what would happen when online distribution becomes so ubiquitous that content consumption finally flips abruptly to digital-only?

The industries who manufacture DVDs, burn them, ship them, sell them, resell them, trade them, rent them and so many, many more would be smacked down in a very short period of time. If these industries don't start making real inroads toward digital distribution immediately, they'll die and take a great chunk of American (even worldwide) jobs and wealth with them.

Taking down Megaupload wasn't wrong, but it's a misguided action and will ultimately be fruitless. It's also an absolutely shocking and profound waste of Government time and money; when America has far, far bigger problems to deal with. Sadly there's nobody with deep pockets lobbying for bank executives to be hung, or for health care to be drastically overhauled. Two more despicable, fat, incumbent industries which are destroying humanities very soul with their stagnation. Bletch!

We've come too far, now. The only way the world will change is if we burn it all to the ground and start again. That makes us the villain of every Hollywood movie... perhaps they, too, recognise complete destruction as our only road to salvation and use their media platform to demonise the very idea.

Yes, apparently US laws are global laws now. Because most other governments are too utterly cowardly to object.

If the US don't want their shit copied by "Foreign Criminals" then they should stop exporting it. Period. You can't have your cake and eat it too. (what's the deal with that expression!?)

Who the hell chooses to host legitimate content on a site that's almost synonymous with piracy?

So which free file upload server, that isn't synonymous with piracy do you suggest? Just in case I need to share some files that aree too big for my website?

Back