megaupload shutdown.

Just in case I need to share some files that aree too big for my website?

Rackspace Cloud Files.

Yes, it costs money, but at least your file sharing isn't being propped up by pirate subsidies.

If you're a distributor of some work-or-another ( Cooked ROMs from the XDA Developers folks is a good example ) then Rackspace is probably a pretty good solution. If the people you're sharing with don't want to pay you the ~18cents it could cost in bandwidth for them to download files, then you should probably not share with them. Many of them were obviously willing to pay for premium accounts on the likes of Megaupload and are probably amongst the lying, piracy apologists who claim they'd never pay for XYZ if they couldn't get it free.

Yes, I appreciate that the idea of PAYING money to distribute files, instead of making it via some dodgy pyramid scheme may be offensive to some... but that's how the internet works for the rest of us.

When distributing a file, it's obviously of some value to either you, or your customers, to disseminate it. Therefore, forking out a little money, and soliciting donations or leveraging your own sources of ad revenue to do so, seems fairly acceptable.

I have to agree with Gadgetoid here. MegaUpload had this coming. It also shows very nicely that SOPA/PIPA are not needed and will do more harm than good.

Just in case I need to share some files that aree too big for my website?

Rackspace Cloud Files.

Yes, it costs money, but at least your file sharing isn't being propped up by pirate subsidies.

If you're a distributor of some work-or-another ( Cooked ROMs from the XDA Developers folks is a good example ) then Rackspace is probably a pretty good solution. If the people you're sharing with don't want to pay you the ~18cents it could cost in bandwidth for them to download files, then you should probably not share with them. Many of them were obviously willing to pay for premium accounts on the likes of Megaupload and are probably amongst the lying, piracy apologists who claim they'd never pay for XYZ if they couldn't get it free.

Yes, I appreciate that the idea of PAYING money to distribute files, instead of making it via some dodgy pyramid scheme may be offensive to some... but that's how the internet works for the rest of us.

When distributing a file, it's obviously of some value to either you, or your customers, to disseminate it. Therefore, forking out a little money, and soliciting donations or leveraging your own sources of ad revenue to do so, seems fairly acceptable.

I don't think that it's fair to blame people with legitimate content for choosing a file host that happens to be a bad choice. Will Host For Food used to be very popular on the GMC (and maybe elsewhere, I don't know) and no one saw it coming when they shut down. Personally, I never associated MegaUpload with piracy copyright infringement and I never heard of the association. I always just associated it with wait times and the "premium" crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always just associated it with wait times and the "premium" crap.

Amen to that. I never understood the appeal of filelockers, given how atrocious they were for end-users.

If you're going to host content, use someone reputable, and make sure they cost a lot of money, or at least *some* money. If you're not paying money to host files, you're probably going to get screwed. If you're *making* money to host files, what the hell!?

Why not just use torrents? I mean, the main problem is that if there's no people seeding, there's no people seeding, but hey... I like the idea of having the website a forum is hosted on also hosting its files/torrent files. This way, when I'm going through forum archives in the next five years and want to download the source code to a program that has long been abandoned... I seriously HATE when I click on a link to an important file and the website it was hosted on no longer exists.

I always just associated it with wait times and the "premium" crap.

Amen to that. I never understood the appeal of filelockers, given how atrocious they were for end-users.

If you're going to host content, use someone reputable, and make sure they cost a lot of money, or at least *some* money. If you're not paying money to host files, you're probably going to get screwed. If you're *making* money to host files, what the hell!?

!amen to that. Just because a service is free doesn't mean it's a bad choice. MediaFire and Box come to mind as hosts that are free and have no wait time bullshit.

Why not just use torrents? I mean, the main problem is that if there's no people seeding, there's no people seeding, but hey... I like the idea of having the website a forum is hosted on also hosting its files/torrent files. This way, when I'm going through forum archives in the next five years and want to download the source code to a program that has long been abandoned... I seriously HATE when I click on a link to an important file and the website it was hosted on no longer exists.

Really agree with you there! I had the same issue recently with Command & Conquer. A game which was once offered for free download, but was long since lost in the wake of website refreshes.

I found still active, official links in the Internet Archive, eventually.

Torrents can be a really great thing, but do rely heavily on users actually seeding them. There's a good reason that P2P is built into a lot of things as the primary distribution method- it's effective and also deadly efficient at mitigating costs without placing your files in the hands of ad-laden hell holes or other third parties with their own financial interests.

Free is always a bad choice, because they have absolutely no accountability to you, your users or any contractually guaranteed responsibility to protect your files. You might simply be lucky, but taking that risk in the first place is on your own head.

That's not exactly my use case. I don't feel like a distibutor at all ;) The only couple of times I used that servers was when I needed to share some video footage or photos with friends or family. Having a cloud file server just for that purpose seems a bit excessive to me. If there weren't servers like Megaupload, Rapidshare etc I'd rather make a torrent or set up an FTP server on my desktop if "recipients" weren't computer-savy enough to deal with torrents. But both of these are quite cumbersome.

If you see a posting of an IP address saying "this is the new link to Megauploads" DON'T FOLLOW IT!

Don't spread it. Just ignore it. Spammers/hackers are taking advantage of this to expand their botnets.

I had an account on MUP and I have uploaded some legal files there. They are obsolete right now, but suppose the file you host there is important... Anyway, I think everyone should have at least 1, but preferably 2 local backups of important files.1 in my house for easy access and another one at a friend´s place as emergency backup.

4 other lessons can be learned here:

1. If you use an American based domain name, the current company responsible for the American registries, Verisign, will have control over that domain name. Verisign is subject to American law, so...
  2. If you host illegal files especially on an open channel, you run a logical risk to get caught sooner or later. Obfuscation by choosing unrelated filenames does not work once the server is under scrutiny for one foul.
  3. The starting general American domain extensions, such as as .net, .org and especially .com have gotten an increasingly international significance. Such domain extensions should not be under control of a single company or government. They have bceome much too important for that.
  4. ICANN(root registry of all domain extensions and responsible for distributing IP blocks) should be spread around the globe administratively instead of being subject to the rules of one country. Again, the Internet is much too important to be controlled by a single country and it´s whims. The organization should be administered by an international comittee who have to reach consensus on important decisions before they are carried out. I know that the IP-blocks are regionally controlled by organizations such as RIPE (Europe), LACNIC (South America), AfriNIC (Africa), APNIC (Asia) and ARIN (USA). Still, they are all subject to the rules of ICANN.

Sure the Internet started out as a project of the American Defense Force, but there is a reason why the Internet is not called (D)Arpanet anymore.

* - theres already a resolution to push martial law after big cyberattack.
OMG !

some samples in here..

http://www.infowars....hed-in-america/
Then I will not accept anybody tell me that USA is the country of freedom. It way closer to a totalitar gouvernement than anything "free"
America the land of Freedom?! Hrmpfff, now that´s a good one! America is a militaristic control freak state that I will not set foot in. Sure, Americans have the freedom to consume...

The USA needs to curb the power of it´s defense administration and do something about the source of the unrest instead of criminalizing those who stand up for their freedom. Real listening to the people is required and some deliberation instead of hysteria.

Hey now, it's not as bad as you guys make it out to be. This is America, not China; we are not governed by an authoritarian regime. Though I do believe that it could happen, and that the Internet being controlled is the fastest way to do it.

Hey now, it's not as bad as you guys make it out to be. This is America, not China; we are not governed by an authoritarian regime. Though I do believe that it could happen, and that the Internet being controlled is the fastest way to do it.
I'm not even sure China would call for their martial law in case of cyberwar. But your country nearly have done it for a simple attack (read Streak's link)

Add the copyright madness, SOPA/PIPA, and a few other things in the same vein, and I'm not even sure that living in China is worst that in the US : at least in China you _know_ that's it is this way, the USA is a golden prison. but that's a prison anyway

On one of the other hands, a regime which tries to look open and free can be tricked into openness and freedom!

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.

Actual state of our consciousness about how BIG lie is this is very SMALL. Well, well, Goethe said "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Last edited:
That's not exactly my use case. I don't feel like a distibutor at all ;) The only couple of times I used that servers was when I needed to share some video footage or photos with friends or family. Having a cloud file server just for that purpose seems a bit excessive to me. If there weren't servers like Megaupload, Rapidshare etc I'd rather make a torrent or set up an FTP server on my desktop if "recipients" weren't computer-savy enough to deal with torrents. But both of these are quite cumbersome.

I suppose there are exceptions. If the file is throw-away and isn't either something you want people to be downloading for a period of time, or a backup... then pretty much any service will do. But in those cases you've little need to worry or complain when they go down; just move on to the next one.

It's clear that something is drastically wrong in America if all it takes is some made up figures (yes, they were made up) and a heap of cash to persuade the Government to do basically whatever you want them to do. In most other countries I'm sure we call this "Bribery"... what the fuck is the deal with lobbying, and your politicians accepting money from "donors" (who are never unbiased) in order to run their public propaganda campaigns?

I must admit, I don't understand the American Political system in the least.. but it seems like everyone in Congress is in the pocket of one biased, wealthy individual/business or another. Would anyone who knows what the hell they're talking about care to explain it to me, or give me a linky?

British politics is just as shit, except we have cowardly gutless liars who bow to American pressure without the slightest hint of resistance.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Funny, that quote came to my mind, too ;)

Back