Media Reports

Maybe the status page needs more detail? Including things like chargers, packaging etc. Also it would be handy to have rough milestones on the status page, i.e. Full CE testing takes x days and expected start date is the Nth December etc.

It's just a thought but would sure help to keep the same questions being asked over on the forum.

Beepo said:
Maybe the status page needs more detail? Including things like chargers, packaging etc. Also it would be handy to have rough milestones on the status page, i.e. Full CE testing takes x days and expected start date is the Nth December etc.

It's just a thought but would sure help to keep the same questions being asked over on the forum.

the status is not enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
Beepo said:

Exact dates -> People upset when they aren't met -> Team explaining every little thing that goes wrong, taking a lot of time

Not really no, you don't really know where we are with things like MP of the boards as there's no comment against it. It would be a simple task to add just a little more detail, don't you think?

The MP status is an ideal example, if you go by the status page it looks like the boards have been in MP for weeks and it's still ongoing. I'm pretty sure the OP team are in touch with the company producing the boards and I'm also pretty sure they know the current state of play regarding them, I would if it was my project. It's probably scattered in the forum somewhere but a simple one liner showing where we are and an estimated completion date for that task would help anyone who doesn't have the time to trawl through all the bickering and squabbling in these forums. A completion date for manufacture of the boards must be available from the company, even if it's rough. The same goes or CE testing, estimated start and end date.

My idea of an open/community project is that the details are available to me, and the status page is the perfect place to give me a high level overview with enough detail so I can track process, currently you can't really.

I think that's not too much to ask considering I paid for my pandora almost as soon as the preorder page went up and I'm still waiting. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to wait a little longer, however I just want good visibility of the state of play.

Edit: maybe not specific dates, but how about 'week ending Nth December' etc.

fischju2000 said:
Exact dates -> People upset when they aren't met -> Team explaining every little thing that goes wrong, taking a lot of time

People aren't upset now? The team aren't having to explain things now?

I think you'll find it's easier if we have a clearer status page, if the current state is transparent then you'll get less people bitching.

Every project has slippage, that's why you build in contingency. If the OP team just said it's going to be an Easter release at this point I'd be happy with that because that would mean that there's almost certainly enough slack in the deliverable that it would be delivered when they say it will be.

Obviously, as I've said before, I think OP have done a great job and I can't wait to get mine. I just feel they could have handled us, the punters, a little better.

Its funny how almost any other compagny will just say release Q3 2009 and that seems enough, now there is a compagny that keeps us updated of the whole process and now it is to less info :D We humans are such information whores.

The problem here is the continual disappointment and slippage. I just feel it could be managed better. I'm trying to be constructive, not destructive.

Everything in business is a continual evolution, you take everything as a lessons learned and improve in it - or stagnate. I was suggesting a way to improve.

Also this isn't a product from any other company, this is a product that has had my cash for over a year and is a community effort. Therefore the community deserves to have visibility, at a glance, with regards the current situation. i.e. without having to trawl forums and filter out irrelevant garbage.

I feel the status page could be improved for the benefit of everyone here. I have nothing further to say on the matter and I'm sorry I took this thread off topic. :)

Edit: spelling.

Beepo, we have been there before several times ;) It's ok as it is right now, with the Community Blog and all. It's a compromise most of us can live with :)

@Beepo: i would get the pandora toolbar. It was designed to help communication / status updates

keeps me more than updated! Every twitter, youtube and community blog (including the german blog) is included.

That's the job of the miners. The miners get it from the boards and then it is put on the Community Blog. The Community Blog distributes the info. It's the pretty efficient Pandora info chain ;)

Hmmm I see, but the community blog fails to give me a timeline with expected milestones, it's just another blog...

Wouldn't it just be easier to have a more detailed status page? Instead of playing pass the information parcel I mean.

It would surely be better, but it's not going to happen. The devs are in a dilemma, because there is too much speculation following every word they post. The Community Blog is the logical answer, thus it's successful :)

Beepo said:
Hmmm I see, but the community blog fails to give me a timeline with expected milestones, it's just another blog...

Wouldn't it just be easier to have a more detailed status page? Instead of playing pass the information parcel I mean.

well dates arent always as hard as they seem if they will put all the dates on it and keep them shifting because third party A did something or third party B did another thing than it will open a whole can of worms. People will complain about every little shift and every minor change and they probably have to hire one or more persons to keep track of every little tidbit

Beepo said:
Edit: maybe not specific dates, but how about 'week ending Nth December' etc.

Bosbeetle said:
well dates arent always as hard as they seem if they will put all the dates on it and keep them shifting because third party A did something or third party B did another thing than it will open a whole can of worms. People will complain about every little shift and every minor change and they probably have to hire one or more persons to keep track of every little tidbit

Come on, a single status page with a one liner for each deliverable would require a full time role at 40 hours a week? I think not. A simple update to the page when something slips would take seconds. Even adding reasons for slippage would not take long at all, and you could keep previous comments in there as well, with dates, so you could easily track the history of the cases slipping for example.

As I said before, people aren't disgruntled and complaining already?

As I already said, we had this discussion before and basically everyone would prefer a better status page. Glad that we are almost there and we'll come through the rest too, I'm sure :)

Beepo said:
I wonder if there will be a post implementation review so that lessons can be learned for the next iteration...

multiply all estimates by 2 and give those dates

So we will receive our Pandora's in the year 4020 or 4 months after that?

Back