Maximum Overclock?

On some I can do 275 (like gngeo2x) but most of the times 266 is stable. For some reason, psx4gp2x won't run at that clockrate, I need to clock it at 250 for that.

Although I have only had the MK2 for 4 days it seems to run sweet at 275mhz, but just a quick question for those in the know, is the model number of a Mk2 f100B

A measly 243MHz ... any more and it just crashes.

I must be one unlucky SOB - or am I doing something wrong. I run the cpu/lcd tweaker, set the cpu to 244 then press select, and the cpu/lcd tweaker just locks up. With 243 it drops back to the menu system and I can run emus etc ok.

I would be curious to hear from other MK2 users - especially those that bought theirs from gp2x.net.au
Maybe there is a batch with low overclocking ability, or maybe its just mine.
Have you tried the speed tester app? http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/markus.vehring/speedtest.zip

I find that app worthless. It said I could do 285mhz (it crashed on 290) but I can only get 270 stable, I can hit 275 for like 2 min.

As for fishbong, are you still running firmware 1.2? Because the way you are doing your overclocking will only work in a gp2x firmware that is or less then 1.2.
With fishbong, do you mean me? Because i didn´t say how i overclock....

Last edited by a moderator:
Got 315 MHz with no problem on my GP2X, first edition. 320 MHz works, but makes artifacts on the screen (a few white dots). Hanging on 325 MHz.

Are you using PSU or batteries though? I find I can overclock slightly higher using a PSU.

Batteries. I will give the psu a go.

Yours may not even be 243 stable. As when yo ureach the menu with a MK2 the clock is set back to 200. So after 5 mins at 243 you may crash etc.

So if when reverting back to the menu the clock is reset to 200 - what is the point of the LCD/CPU tweaker ? As as soon as you save the settings - it reverts back to the menu. Or is it only in newer firmwares that the menu resets the clock back to 200 (I am running 2.0.0 on a MK2 machine).

Out of curiosity, I will give this a go.

a good way to test it is to use the psx emu, its easy to change clockspeed and it really pushes your system.

And will try that as soon as I get a chance - the kids (3 under 6) consume my evenings with a passion these days. My original reasoning for buying the gp2x was so I could game on the loo, and on the move. Although most of the time on the loo the little beggers bust in and try and have a conversation with me anyway !

At the end of the day, for what I will mostly be playing - I am happy enough with the 200MHz, never mind anything else.

The amiga emu is probably going to be the most I will want to push the machine - and worst case scenario I can use outcast instead (most of the amiga games I am interested in should also be available for the ST).

Well in the older firmwares, < 1.4.0, then the menu did nothing. Now it resets hte clock frequency. You need to run a script named a .gpe to launch the app overclocked. I am sorry that I do not currently have an example script handy as I dont use over clocking really unless its built into the program or that there is a major need for it.

~312 MHz with stability, 320 MHz max actual clock. There should be no pattern to overclockability with MK1s, First/second editions or MK2s, they all use the same MMSP2 system on a chip and the only changes are on the stick orientation, LCD panel, etc.

my MK1 could only do 230 stable, and crashed any higher. yes, it was pathetic. my MK2 however can go 285 stable, crashes 290. kickass :)

Hm, I don't quite understand why people get different numbers - is it related to build quality or something? I mean technically each unit is the same right?

By that I mean, an MK2 is an MK2, or an MK1 is an MK1 - I just don't get why each is capable of different max clock speeds.

ARM9 cores used in the production of the MMSP2 have different maximum clockrates they can tolerate. These vary from part to part; a batch of chips may all also be able to reach 290 Mhz yet are marked down to 200 Mhz to meet heavy demand for 200 Mhz processors, like in the MMSP2.

A simple and quick performance (and to a degree, stability, it will crash an unstable GP2X fairly quickly) test would be the simple benchmark utility I wrote a while ago, 2xMark. You can find it on the archive in the Misc section.

ARM9 cores used in the production of the MMSP2 have different maximum clockrates they can tolerate. These vary from part to part; a batch of chips may all also be able to reach 290 Mhz yet are marked down to 200 Mhz to meet heavy demand for 200 Mhz processors, like in the MMSP2.

A simple and quick performance (and to a degree, stability, it will crash an unstable GP2X fairly quickly) test would be the simple benchmark utility I wrote a while ago, 2xMark. You can find it on the archive in the Misc section.

Does that test clock speeds then in increments like the other program link someone submitted in this thread?

Thanks for answering my question too by the way, it makes sense now :)

Welcome. :) It runs with whatever clockrate you have set prior, and does a battery of arithmetic tests, also a simple playback test of an OGG Vorbis audio file, then reports a final score for each step and a composite performance score.

Interesting, I shall give that a look. Be great if there was a full fledged performance tool like 3Dmark though.

A measly 243MHz ... any more and it just crashes.

I must be one unlucky SOB - or am I doing something wrong. I run the cpu/lcd tweaker, set the cpu to 244 then press select, and the cpu/lcd tweaker just locks up. With 243 it drops back to the menu system and I can run emus etc ok.

I would be curious to hear from other MK2 users - especially those that bought theirs from gp2x.net.au
Maybe there is a batch with low overclocking ability, or maybe its just mine.
Have you tried the speed tester app? http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/markus.vehring/speedtest.zip

Hmm...Mine froze when it said "320 mhz checked" on the screen...
What is the best way to find out my stable speed? Just testing and more testing?

Unfortunately there's no "super-easy one stop shop program for magically finding your GP2x's max OC for all programs ev4r" type program... but if there was, where would the fun be in tinkering? ;)

<-- 275 works for everything, I can get a little higher for some things, but keeping 275 for everything makes script writing easier :rolleyes:

Back