How To Determine Maximum Stable Clockspeed?

nemt

Website
www.nemesisz.net
Right now I have my GP2X running most clock speed adjustable programs at 260mhz, and haven't had any problems. Is there any easy way to test how high I can get the clock without having stability issues? Can testing a system incapable of running at 275mhz stably cause permanent damage?

It won't cause damage. There are clockspeed testers, but they're usually inaccurate (tester said mine goes to 275, but it's only stable up to 260). Best way is to just load up a program and gradually test higher clocks (each for 5-10 minutes) until it crashes.

The one below the crash is clearly your highest speed. ;)

I recently used the Payback demo, as it allows step-by-step overclocking, and renders nice 3D Graphics with sound ;)
It also features in-game replays (15/20mn each), enough to tell if the gp2x is stable ;)

Before Payback I also used Quake with gMenu2x for overclocking

Payback showed that my gp2x is stable at 270, and will crash within 5 seconds at 273, but I remember playing SNES Emu@272mhz stable, yet I'm not sure if it was stable long enough, as I never go over 270mhz...

I was 266 stable until I plugged in my GP32's adaptor. It displayed some bizarre lines, and dropped it's max to 260, semi-stable.

On a semi-related note, I think it's disgusting how GPH chose such a weird voltage for the GP2X's adaptor port, it's clear they made it so more people would buy their proprietary adaptor...

- Alex

You know, I could understand anger at a company like Sony or Nintendo for doing something like that, but GPH really needs all the income they can get - don't they?

They're a company, of course they need all the income they can get. That doesn't mean that all the ways they obtain it have to be liked by their consumers. Don't get me wrong, I like GPH and love the GP2X, but it would have been nice to be able to use my GP32 adaptor on my GP2X and vice-versa, without springing for one that outputs some odd 3.xV...

- Alex

I was 266 stable until I plugged in my GP32's adaptor. It displayed some bizarre lines, and dropped it's max to 260, semi-stable.

On a semi-related note, I think it's disgusting how GPH chose such a weird voltage for the GP2X's adaptor port, it's clear they made it so more people would buy their proprietary adaptor...

- Alex

and it still works with batteries?? You lucky duckling :p

Last edited by a moderator:
eh I wouldn't worry to much about those .3 volts. I have been using a 3 volt adaptor with no problems. only thing nice about 3.3 is the extra power so it will overclock higher but hey ur still gonna get a higher overclock with 3 volts over the batteries 2.2 volts.

Right now I have my GP2X running most clock speed adjustable programs at 260mhz, and haven't had any problems. Is there any easy way to test how high I can get the clock without having stability issues? Can testing a system incapable of running at 275mhz stably cause permanent damage?
You could try using CPU_Speed. Use the walking Ant test under the CPU menu, this will take a while and the last speed to show before it stops is roughly what your unit can do!

Ant-Speedtest.gif
From the above image you can see the test successfully completed at 300Mhz, but has stalled on the 305Mhz as that would be the next test. Now this doesn't mean my 2X is stable at 300Mhz. I would assume it's more likely to be 280Mhz, as an actual game would stress the unit a little more.

Hope that was of help,
Clare.

PayBack Demo is indeed a good tester for maximum clockspeed i think. 270 with my GP2500MaH was no problem, 280 locked up but hey i never go over 250 normally.

eh I wouldn't worry to much about those .3 volts. I have been using a 3 volt adaptor with no problems. only thing nice about 3.3 is the extra power so it will overclock higher but hey ur still gonna get a higher overclock with 3 volts over the batteries 2.2 volts.
Oh, wow, then perhaps my adaptor or unit is at fault here. Sorry, Anna Hong. Oh wait, they fired her. Sorry for nothing :p

- Alex

Back