Marathon Aleph One / Abuse Possible?

gameguy56

Still Fresh
Oh, how I'd love to relive the days of my Marathon playing youth on the GP2x.
It's been ported to Linux-SDL and it is perhaps only slightly more graphically complicated than DOOM.

Links
Here http://source.bungie.org/
And the SF.net site http://sourceforge.net/projects/marathon/

Abuse is another Classic bungie game that I remember fondly from my early mac days

http://freshmeat.net/projects/abuse-sdl/

Since both are SDL using linux games, I really hope they're ported, cause that would be awesome.

YES!
very much so, these are some great games, i remember running around working for that mad Ai ;) was a scary game marathon on mac, i will surely look into porting or making a version for the gp2x, as having it handheld will rock! :D

ABUSE and MARATHON !! yeah
I would love those games ! i played them on a Mac PowerPC (OS 7.x.x i think)
those were the days :), played carmageddon too...

yap yap, this would be a great addition,... not because i am a fan, but just because it are great games :)

yes,

both have SDL ports. One has a developer assigned to it (Abuse) The guy who ported it to begin with.

I've looked at MA1 souce and decided to do something else because of the souce.

I'm sure someone will be brave enough to port it eventually.

ABUSE and MARATHON !! yeah
I would love those games ! i played them on a Mac PowerPC (OS 7.x.x i think)
those were the days :), played carmageddon too...

yap yap, this would be a great addition,... not because i am a fan, but just because it are great games :)

It would be awsome if marathon was ported! Plus all of the games are free now!

Man carmageddon would be soooo cool, but I highly doubt it would be possilbe. Although there is a gizmoundo port, maybe they would enjoy to make it a commercial game for gp2x?

Last edited by a moderator:
I played through M1 way back when I had a Mac, great game exept that in the end there where 1 or 2 places that where so hard to get past that I had to cheat :( It's quite horrible to play when you are used to the wider viewing angle of modern FPS games but it would be great to play all of them on a GP2X.

For those who doesn't know what Marathon is all about it's a series of 3 FPS games that really made Bungie famous. With exeption for M2 the series was only released on Mac. The first game came around Doom2 for PC and it really blew Doom2 away. The story and the feal through the whole series is really amazing. It's kinda the prequel to Halo, you can see the Marathon logo in the center of the Halo logo and IIRC the PoA also carries the Marathon logo. The whole AI part of Halo is even stronger in Marathon where they pretty much use you to do whatever they like.

And the weapons are probably the best in the genre :D

BTW, it pretty much was made to work on a keyboard so controlls shouldn't be a problem, as long as there are enough buttons on the GP2X :unsure:

I played through M1 way back when I had a Mac, great game exept that in the end there where 1 or 2 places that where so hard to get past that I had to cheat :( It's quite horrible to play when you are used to the wider viewing angle of modern FPS games but it would be great to play all of them on a GP2X.

For those who doesn't know what Marathon is all about it's a series of 3 FPS games that really made Bungie famous. With exeption for M2 the series was only released on Mac. The first game came around Doom2 for PC and it really blew Doom2 away. The story and the feal through the whole series is really amazing. It's kinda the prequel to Halo, you can see the Marathon logo in the center of the Halo logo and IIRC the PoA also carries the Marathon logo. The whole AI part of Halo is even stronger in Marathon where they pretty much use you to do whatever they like.

BTW, it pretty much was made to work on a keyboard so controlls shouldn't be a problem, as long as there are enough buttons on the GP2X :unsure:
There is; you need the directional pad for movement of course, one button to shoot, one to jump, one to activate and one to change weapon, if theres more buttons you can have a next and previous weapon button, but it isn't neccessary in this game.
I'm working with the source now and trying to get accustumed to it :)
No promises of course, but i would really like a port of this myself <_<
hmm it wasn't a jump button, it only came in alephone build it was a run function way back when to simulate a jump you 'ran' between edges.

Thing with Marathon was it was released around the time of System Shock, which blew it completely out of the water ten times over :p

There is no released source for System Shock, so it won't ever run on the GP2x (.01 FPS with DOSBox doesn't count)

I think it's awesome that Abuse is being ported already, but handheld Marathon would just rock my world.

There is; you need the directional pad for movement of course, one button to shoot, one to jump, one to activate and one to change weapon, if theres more buttons you can have a next and previous weapon button, but it isn't neccessary in this game.
I'm working with the source now and trying to get accustumed to it :)
No promises of course, but i would really like a port of this myself <_<
hmm it wasn't a jump button, it only came in alephone build it was a run function way back when to simulate a jump you 'ran' between edges.

Infinity controlls are Look 4, Movement 4, glance 2, triggers 2, change weapon 2, run, activate and menu. That's all IIRC. So the stick for look, thumb buttons to move, shoulders to fire, stick button to run, select to activate and volume button to change weapons and start for menu you should do fine, no glanceing though but IIRC that's only in Infinity and I never used it in the demo.

Thing with Marathon was it was released around the time of System Shock, which blew it completely out of the water ten times over :p

The first System Shock kinda sucked due to it's horrible controll system. System Shock 2 however is one of the best FPS games ever, there's even a project working on improving the model quality that looks kinda cool.

Back