Aleph One Port

Yono

Website
Visit site
From http://tonsomo.roguegunners.com/a1.htm

[GP2X]
Aleph One is an Opensource version of the Marathon engine made by Bungie, prior to their purchase by Microsoft. The Marathon games are some of the best loved on the Apple Mac and are the spiritual predecessors of Halo. Ported from the Aleph One/SDL project: Here

Download here and extract into a directory on your SD card. You then need to download the marathon datafiles (Here) these are free, but not freely distributable. Unzip the contents into a directory called Data underneath the directory Aleph One is placed in.

I have played through the first version of this port (until I died) and the only problem I saw was that the scaled down computer screens were unreadable. Definitely worth a space on your SD card.

Edit: Changed link to archive.

I must say, I'm amazed. Not because Marathon itself wouldn't have run (relatively old game - cool though) but simply because everything I could see on the Aleph One site implied that it was OpenGL (or similar) heavy.

Glad I was wrong!

I've put it down as a Pre-release, hence the reason why it's not on the archives yet. Mainly I want feedback on how well the controls work (mapping has been a little bit of a nightmare).

The main problems at the moment:

The scaling has made the text unreadable. I'm going to have to tweak things a little.

Don't use the terminals - i've done nothing on the handling for those yet.

The main menu doesn't work, just press the start button to start.

As far as the datafiles go, all 3 should work - but i've only tested 2.

I meant to add this earlier, the community beat me to it :D

Wow! ive been hoping for a port of this ever since i got my gp2x.

Downloading now :)

Do you have any ideas for a setup (possibly involving scripts) that would allow for booting of Marathon 1&2? (For example mara1.gpe for Marathon 1 and mara2.gpe for Marathon 2)

my mapping on Quake is as follows:

joypad up and down: move forward and backward
joypad left and right: turn left and right
L and R shoulder buttons: strafe
SELECT: 'mouselook'
Y: switch weapons
B: jump
X: attack
A: run

i suppose joypad l and r could be strafe, and the shoulder buttons 'turn'...

NoidZ posted on Jul 30 2006 at 12:28 PM said:
Can't get past the first door :lol: what to do?

Left and Right shoulder buttons at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could always use scripts to change the datapath I suppose, that would allow you to have all 3 in the same directory.

I'll need to allow multiple controller configurations too - so if you guys give me an idea of what's wrong with the current setup then I can tweak it a bit. I've already changed activate to be VOLUP+VOLDOWN instead of L+R (after blowing myself up trying to activate a button).

Nemesis/112 posted on Jul 30 2006 at 07:26 AM said:
I could always use scripts to change the datapath I suppose, that would allow you to have all 3 in the same directory.

I'll need to allow multiple controller configurations too - so if you guys give me an idea of what's wrong with the current setup then I can tweak it a bit. I've already changed activate to be VOLUP+VOLDOWN instead of L+R (after blowing myself up trying to activate a button).
Unless you are planning on linking start to an ingame menu, you might want to use it as activate, since it doesn't seem to be doing anything ingame at this point.

jmetal88 posted on Jul 30 2006 at 12:20 PM said:
What's jump? I tried a bunch of combos and couldn't figure it out.
From the bungie forums:
Q. How do I jump/crouch?
A. Sorry, the only jumping you'll be doing is by blowing up a grenade at your feet. Or a rocket (I DON'T recommend using rockets to do this). You can't crouch either.

Back