Aleph One Port

Nemesis/112 posted on Jul 30 2006 at 08:45 PM said:
Yeah, there is no jump (no normal jump). Start is going to be the in-game menu (load,save,quit). I might remove the center joystick and use the joystick click as activate.

Please allow configuration to remove the joystick center push completely. For one thing it can lead to premature joystick failure, plus it is not available on many of the new d-pad replacements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or are the controls y flipped (up is down, down is up) on the joystick?

I really think the controls would benefit from a fix-up. Something like the default setup for Quake would work well, I think. Quake plays surprisingly well on the Gippex, so I suggest checking that out.

Fishbong posted on Aug 1 2006 at 02:19 PM said:
Unpacking the Datafiles gives me just a heap of crap files. :( I'm usinf iZarc ATM, which unpacker should i try

What are you using? On windows I just used WinRAR. There's an alternative on most platforms out there.
Which dataset did you download? Personally i've only tried Marathon 2

Just to give all the people who downloaded it a bit of a progress report, here's what i'm hoping to have achieved before the next (first?) release:

1) Replacement start screen with control preferences (left,right,quake,inverted)

2) In game menu to allow you to exit and change volume, gamma levels

3) Saving and Loading

4) TERMINALS!!!!

At the moment you can navigate around the terminals, but they're still unreadable. I've got 2 ways of dealing with this, either the hard way or the easy way.

The easy way is changing the resolution when you enter a terminal back to 320x240. This should make the text readable.

The hard way us to rewrite the terminal rendering routines to display bigger fonts.

The other way, of course, is to change the entire game to use 320x240, unfortunately there is a LOT of hardcoding around a 640x480 resolution.

Also i've managed to create a nasty bug in IN2X which i'm also trying to fix.

Plus real-life (tm) is always there :)

Sounds like you've got a good set of stuff for us for when the next version comes along! Keep it up!

Nemesis/112 posted on Aug 4 2006 at 12:23 PM said:
Real Life is so overrated. Once you get past the technical aspects of it, it loses its appeal really quickly. I mean, it has like max a 60-70 year play-time before it starts to get really tedious and samey. Not to mention the physics. They're stupid and boring.

Magnulus posted on Aug 4 2006 at 12:02 PM said:
Sounds like you've got a good set of stuff for us for when the next version comes along! Keep it up!

Nemesis/112 posted on Aug 4 2006 at 12:23 PM said:
Real Life is so overrated. Once you get past the technical aspects of it, it loses its appeal really quickly. I mean, it has like max a 60-70 year play-time before it starts to get really tedious and samey. Not to mention the physics. They're stupid and boring.

Some of the effects look really ropey too. I'm looking at this tree and thinking it could have been done much better with a shader

Nemesis/112 posted on Aug 4 2006 at 10:23 AM said:
Also i've managed to create a nasty bug in IN2X which i'm also trying to fix.

Cool to hear that you are still working on the Intellivision emu too. Hopefully you got the new menu that I gave you working with the select box etc and wasn't too much trouble.

Real life can be a real bummer though. The lack of save states really sucks sometimes.

Thanks for the good work.

Nemesis/112 posted on Aug 4 2006 at 06:23 PM said:
Just to give all the people who downloaded it a bit of a progress report, here's what i'm hoping to have achieved before the next (first?) release:

Can't wait for the next release.

Thanks a lot for the work your doing.

I've updated the file on the archive, this isn't the big update all it does is allow you to navigate the terminals (using B and A or L and R). I'm uploading it because it froze on me a couple of times when it was changing level. However, it seemed to only be when my GP2X was running out of batteries. I've tried it a few times now without it repeating, so I was wondering if someone would give it a whirl to see if it happened on theirs.

The key layout has changed slightly: Primary fire is now on L and Secondary on R.

I've removed volume and gamma (they're going to be in the in-game menu) VOL_UP now rotates weapons, VOL_DOWN does activate.

Cheers.

Just tried out the new version with the m1a1 marathon1 data files, havnt had any lockups.

Improvments ive noticed:

- Terminal navigation works
- Correct first level splash screen now works for marathon 1
- Gun sound effects seem to be synced up better now (sound was slightly delayed after shooting in the last version)
- The graphics corruption visible along the border between the radar/hud and the main window is gone.

Nice work!

Back