Mame4all V2.0 Released

alright, thanks...

yeah i dunno, can't get kof98 or dead connection to work... i probably have bad romsets.

w/ neogeo roms, do you put the bios rom in a separate folder or always w/ the romset itself?

and do they always need to be zipped, or?

sbock posted on May 18 2009 at 07:52 PM said:
Yes, that's no problem...
Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the problem with wrong romsets is a known issue . You need roms for MAME 0.37b4. Use the clrmame.dat file in the MAME4all package together with ClrMamePro. Although that doesn't solve all problems.
For the NeoGeo: It's not important if the ROMs are merged or split. Both variants should work. They should be zipped.

Regards,
Stephan

sbock posted on May 18 2009 at 05:22 PM said:
I found a possible bug with "Blazing Star". The Wiz version crashes in the loading screen. The GP2x version 2.0 runs it without problems.
Perhaps not enough free memory on the Wiz? Blazing Star is the biggest game I have tested.
Yes, some of the biggest Neo·Geo games run on the GP2X and not on the WIZ, due to memory limitations. The problem is not the memory size, but the fact the GP2X memory is 32Mb-32Mb (32 Mb available to Linux and 32 Mb of upper memory) and the WIZ memory is 48Mb-16Mb. This leads to have smaller chunks of memory in the upper part.

Peter R posted on May 18 2009 at 11:38 PM said:
Is there no way around this?
No easy way, because the biggest Neo·Geo games needs several chunks of 8 MB of memory.
In the GP2X several chunks can be placed in the upper memory, but not in the WIZ (the upper memory is 16 MB, and substracting the video buffers memory, etc, only one chunk can be placed on it). And the memory fragmentation in the Linux malloc() makes the rest...

Some GP2X Vs WIZ performance numbers:

Mortal Kombat:
GP2X 250 MHz: 25 fps
WIZ 700 MHz: 46 fps

Out Run:
GP2X 250 MHz: 26 fps
WIZ 700 MHz: 45 fps

Street Fighter 2:
GP2X 250 MHz: 35 fps
WIZ 700 MHz: 57 fps

All tests done with MAME4ALL 2.0, 8 bit color, 22 khz sound and frameskip 0.

I converted my roms using clrmamepro. All the ROMS except the neo geo ones work. I then tried copying my neogeo.zip from my .130 release and that didn't work. It is looking for neo-geo.rom, and ng-sm1.rom. Which is the neogeo.zip file I need for this? Also, for the game Baseball Stars 2 as an example it is also looking for stars2_m1.rom. My ROM is missing that one. It has stars2_c1-c4.rom, stars2_p1.rom, stars2_s1.rom stars2_v1-v3.rom. Did I convert them wrong? All the other neo geo roms follow the same pattern. Please help and thanks in advance!

There seem to be a problem with "rbtapper" and "rampage". In both games scaling doesn't work. It's OK in the GP2x version.

Regards,
Stephan

Mortal Kombat:
WIZ 533 MHz: 37 fps

Out Run:

Street Fighter 2:
WIZ 533 MHz: 48 fps

Good numbers. Clearly the Wiz is capable of significantly faster performance than the GP2X, albeit not at the level some people would assume from the CPU speeds. But that's not the point - 45 fps is better than than 25 fps! That's the point!

I wonder how the Wiz compares to the PSP in terms of emulation speed potential? For example, I know gpSP runs many games 100% speed at 0 fs on PSP @333Mhz. I'm very curious to hear how a gpSP port will perform on Wiz @ different CPU speeds.

I finally got my Wiz today. It's at home waiting for me. First thing I will try out is MAME.

Hopefully I can make some more contributions to MAME as it's exciting to see that the Wiz when overclocked looks to be fairly capable - of course - with many thanks to Franxis and his keen optimizing of the code. :)

I'll see if I can help out with adding some new games, etc.

Prophet posted on May 19 2009 at 01:39 AM said:
Good numbers. Clearly the Wiz is capable of significantly faster performance than the GP2X, albeit not at the level some people would assume from the CPU speeds. But that's not the point - 45 fps is better than than 25 fps! That's the point!
I wonder how the Wiz compares to the PSP in terms of emulation speed potential? For example, I know gpSP runs many games 100% speed at 0 fs on PSP @333Mhz. I'm very curious to hear how a gpSP port will perform on Wiz @ different CPU speeds.

I would guess the PSP is still faster due to better memory and GPU etc.

Anyone else have problems w/ Ninja Master's?

The game loads all of the roms up to _c7, then never loads c8... unlike samurai shodown 4/kof98/last blade, it just hangs instead of telling me it can't allocate enough memory..

metal slug 1 works pretty well, as does puzzle bobble... i was thinking that since it wasn't too too big, ninja master's might be playable as well...

As far as clrmame is concerned, my set is correct, too..

Any ideas?

thanks

Franxis posted on May 18 2009 at 11:47 PM said:

Mortal Kombat:

Out Run:

Street Fighter 2:
WIZ 533 MHz: 48 fps

Could all these games get to 60 fps with frameskip 0 on the Wiz with extra optimisation, at 533 Mhz? if not atleast at 700Mhz?

for anyone interested,

RB Fatal Fury Special does not work (too big, i'm guessing)
WW7 works (slow sometimes, but definitely playable)
Puzzle Bobble works
Super Dodgeball works
Kizuna Encounter works, but very slow
Galaxy Fight works

What exactly do the RAM tweaks do?

Thanks,

neogml

NeoGML posted on May 19 2009 at 06:56 PM said:
What exactly do the RAM tweaks do?

Thanks,

neogml
Look here.