Mame4all Gp32 Eta

Thank you for this!

I've never really looked into MAME to be honest... from what I understand, it's an emulator for arcade systems, from very simple to very complex ones. The more complex stuff will not work on the GP32. Can anyone give me any tips for what range of games is playable? How about Puzzle Bobble?

Esn said:
Thank you for this!

I've never really looked into MAME to be honest... from what I understand, it's an emulator for arcade systems, from very simple to very complex ones. The more complex stuff will not work on the GP32. Can anyone give me any tips for what range of games is playable? How about Puzzle Bobble?
You may laugh at this, but Puzzle Bobble would be considered "complex" for the GP32 port. It's currently not compiled in this version. I see the uncompressed ROM is 2.5MB - it may just fit but I suspect it's actually just too large. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. It would otherwise run ok.

Some good games to try are:

Time Pilot
Pooyan
Frogger
Pacman

And work your way up from that. It's the basic 80's kind of stuff that works best on the GP32.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. is it just me or is it kinda crazy for someone to be on a nichest-of the-niche messageboard for something like the GP32 and then say "actually, I only have the vaguest of ideas what this 'Mame' thing is...."

But that's cool, better late than never right?

slaanesh said:
MAME4ALL is (primarily) a handheld version of MAME.
MAME is the Multi Arcade Machine Emulator which emulates old arcade/coin-op games.

<b>This version of <a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/mame/gp32/" target="_blank">MAME4ALL is for the GP32</a> handheld and is still a BETA version - some things will change for the final release.</b>

Downloads via the homepage or <a href="http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1070" target="_blank">directly from here</a>.

Please read the supported.txt included in the download for a list of games that this version supports. The GP32 version does not and will not support all games that that GP2X does.

I've worked pretty long and hard on this project - starting many months ago. Getting the sound right and splitting the games was quite time consuming. As it stands MAME4ALL GP32 beta is fairly feature packed and includes most things that you would expect from a capable emulator.

There is no documentation yet nor source code but I will release both of these soon with version 1.0.
For now see the homepage for details.

Special thanks to Franxis as this version for the GP32 is based on his excellent version for the GP2X.

I know this is a rather old thread, but I figured better to reply to this one than to create a whole new one seeing it's really just a continuation of this thread. Disclaimer aside...

I was wondering if there were any new progress on this project? I generally like the gp32 better than the gp2x and games that work equally well on both systems are more enjoyable on the gp2x assuming sufficient light (mine has no backlight). I am looking forward to it and I very much hope it comes out.

Chris

christo930 said:
I know this is a rather old thread, but I figured better to reply to this one than to create a whole new one seeing it's really just a continuation of this thread. Disclaimer aside...

I was wondering if there were any new progress on this project? I generally like the gp32 better than the gp2x and games that work equally well on both systems are more enjoyable on the gp2x assuming sufficient light (mine has no backlight). I am looking forward to it and I very much hope it comes out.

Chris
Actually I have been playing around with this and made a large number of fixes and enhancements and do intend to release a v1.0 to replace the aging BETA.
Stay tuned.

slaanesh said:
christo930 said:

Chris
Actually I have been playing around with this and made a large number of fixes and enhancements and do intend to release a v1.0 to replace the aging BETA.
Stay tuned.

I can't wait. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

Chris

Back