Mame4all 1.0 For Gp2x (soon)

muchas muchas gracias amigo.....
awesome release.......

since beeing a beta tester :)
this is what i found out so far :
(all with 250 mhz 16 bit no cyclone & dr z80 , v-sync normal , 11 khz fast sound)

88 games ok
Ajax ok (havent tried 3d stages yet)
Aliens ok
Assault very slow gfx error
Block hole slow
Blood bros ok
combattribes ok
crime fighters ok
d. Sullivan indy heat extremely slow
dead connection slow
demons world gfx error
don doko don extremly slow
dragon buster ok
empire city 1931 bootleg ok
escape f.t. planet o.t. robot monsters slow
fire shark slow no sound
flying shark ok
football champ gfx error
galaga 88 slow
gradius II slow
gradius III slow
gunforce ok no sound
gunbird slowest game yet
hammerin harry slow
hot chase very slow
image fight ok
in the hunt ok no sound
insector X perfect (no cylone&dr z80)
karate blazers ok no sound
major title I gfx errors
major title II gfx errors no sound
Missing in action ok
metrocross ok
mortal kombat gfx errors slow
mutant knight not working
mystic riders ok no sound
nba jam gfx errors slow
narc slow
ninja kids ok
pole position very slow
pole position II very slow
r-type missing roms
r-type 2 ok no sound (cyclone&dr z80 doesnt survive quitting game)
r-type leo missing roms
Rabio lepus ok
raiden very slow
rally bike ok
rambo III ok
Rampage World tour too big for mem :(
Rollergames ok
Rolling thunder very slow
S.P.Y special project Y no collison detection
Simpsons ok
smash tv very slow
splatter house very slow
sunset riders very slow
tank force very slow
TMNT Turtles in time very slow
Terminator 2 ok can configure guns properly
thunder cross slow no collsion detection
thunder cross II missing roms
undercover cops ok no sound
vendetta ok
wec le mans slow gfx error
x-men freezes gp2x

the only problem i see is that you are not able to save "optimisations" per game.. if you select dr z80 for ex.
it will be enabled for all game , ditto for gp2x clock...
and autofire option would highly appreciated :)

i am looking forward to ver 1.0
and no i wont give the beta away as franxis asked me not to ... be patient :) :)

Is there a reason why you are not using Cyclone and dr.z80 in those tests? Surely not using them makes the emulator painfully slow?

:eek: :D B) :wub:

The current release version of MAME for gp2x is little short of awesome as it is. This new one sounds just incredible!

Judging by the responses in this thread, there's a decent chance the server will fall over when it's released! :p :lol:

pongplaya said:
the only problem i see is that you are not able to save "optimisations" per game.. if you select dr z80 for ex.
it will be enabled for all game , ditto for gp2x clock...

Seconded. It's a bit of pain when the emu doesn't remember the screen orientation and cpu speed for individual games.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Is there a reason why you are not using Cyclone and dr.z80 in those tests? Surely not using them makes the emulator painfully slow?
Yes, should at minimum be using Cyclone as it's 100% compatiable now. Unless Franxis knows of a specific reason, Cyclone should run all 68K games really well and up to two times faster.

Aliens! Ever since I got a GP2X I've been hoping to play this!
Great stuff Franxis!

/me gets ready to donate...

Setting up DrZ80 and Cyclone definitely helps. For instance I ran Indy Heat at 260mhz, DrZ80 and Cyclone active, and processors at 90%. The game doesn't run great, but it's certainly playable.

Obviously it varies game to game. The Simpsons at those settings runs great. On the other hand, don't waste your time with very demanding games like NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat. After all, I recall that NBA Jam wouldn't even run on my 366mhz laptop several years ago.

Another thing I didn't appreciate at first is the new 4:3 scaled render mode. Allows you to play vertical shooters while holding the GP2X in it's normal layout without blowing the proportions out of whack. Very useful for playing a vertical shooter like Gunsmoke which has 3 fire buttons.

naples39 said:
Ok, so I figured out you access the main menu by pressing start+select in-game. Let me tell you, it's pretty awesome to have this feature in MAME on gp2x!!

My only remaining question is how do we adjust volume if we launch a game in vertical mode?

Also, I converted my roms, and wow, there are a ton of new games!! Don't expect miracles on speed though as many games are basically unplayably slow, but it is very cool to see.

Oh, and I was wrong above. R-Type is supported! I couldn't build that rom atm, but I did try R-Type 2 and it worked pretty well. :)

Great work Franxis!
Yeah now you can't adjust volume in vertical mode. It is impossible now due to the way the menu works. In vertical mode I suggest holding "start" (or "home" on an F200) plus the volume control button at the same time to set volume (Start+Vol up to increase, Start+ Vol down to decrease). Since "start" is set for start game it doesn't effect the game itself when playing if you hold "start" while changing volume.

I would really like a way saving per game settings for clock speed and screen aspect etc. Now if you set it up for a different game it ruins the settings for the last game. I would nix the settings autosave "feature". There are alot of different settings needed depending on the game. For example CPS1 could use scaling down horizontal. Ms Pac-Man would use rotate mode non-scaled, Robotron would use normal mode non-scaled, Pac-Man doesn't need overclock but CPS1 does etc. It is not good to have to memorize and reset all of those settings everytime you play a different game. Even if it is a text file that you edit by hand that would be OK.

I have had the emu crash ALOT while playing classic games (all I tried). It will just freeze and quickly loop the last sound being played at the time of crash. It seems random, and will do it after anywhere from 1-25 minutes of play time. I have the ASM cores off, and no overclock, still crashes almost every time in every game I tested. I tested on an F200. Maybe this is a F200 bug?

Also vector games are unplayably slow now. This is because it defaults to *antialiased* vectors and without any kind of 3D graphics acceleration hardware it crawls. There needs to be a way to shut off the antialiasing to bring back the speed.

Other than those things it shows huge promise and is great work. Thanks again Franxis :)

I was never able to figure out how to change volume in vertical mode on the current MAME emu. Can anyone tell me how?

Shifty said:
I was never able to figure out how to change volume in vertical mode on the current MAME emu. Can anyone tell me how?
Hit the shoulder buttons to flip to horiz mode as in that orientation the volume buttons change volume (or change volume when you first start the game and it is already horizontal) , change to desired volume, then hit shoulder buttons to flip back to vertical mode.

DaveC said:
Shifty said:
Hit the shoulder buttons to flip to horiz mode as in that orientation the volume buttons change volume (or change volume when you first start the game and it is already horizontal) , change to desired volume, then hit shoulder buttons to flip back to vertical mode.

Oh I was originally thinking you were saying volume could be controlled without having to switch to horizontal mode and then back to vertical... Maybe the volume keys could be mapped to Y and X keys when in vertical mode?(On the current Mame)

Can you bring up the "on screen" display and adjust the volume from that?

You may need to remap the "on screen" display button to something first in the "general controls" section.

As for Hammer' Harry being a bit slow, it's the same driver that's used by R-Type, Dragon Breed and Ninja Spirit. Some of the problem is that the NEC cpu wasn't very accurately emulated in these initial versions in which the NEC CPU is used. Later versions of MAME address this to some degree. I have already tried using a later version of the NEC CPU but the results weren't stellar. :-(

The NEC chip is the V-20/V30 series of CPU which are basically 8086 compatibles. See the DOSBOX thread about difficulties in emulating this CPU.

The other problem is that the FM sound emulation for the YM-2151 is a bugger to emulate. It's a slow. It's the same chip use in many CPS-1 games as well as a host of other games.

If anyone knows of a fast YM-2151 (and for that matter YM-2203 and all the other FM chips) emulation then don't hesitate to put your hand up...

DaveC said:
I have had the emu crash ALOT while playing classic games (all I tried). It will just freeze and quickly loop the last sound being played at the time of crash. It seems random, and will do it after anywhere from 1-25 minutes of play time. I have the ASM cores off, and no overclock, still crashes almost every time in every game I tested. I tested on an F200. Maybe this is a F200 bug?
Give some examples of games crashing, i haven't experienced it myself...

slaanesh said:
craigix said:
Yes, should at minimum be using Cyclone as it's 100% compatiable now. Unless Franxis knows of a specific reason, Cyclone should run all 68K games really well and up to two times faster.

i tested without any cause i wanted to see if the games run... for example Empire city 1931 doesnt run with dr. z80... :) also Poleposition I + II, some others crash when quitting back to menu, which require restart of gp2x which is very annoying :). but i will test some more...but i dont have much time before it will be released anyway :)

another question pops up.. with this mame it would be possible to play WWF wrestlefest....? droool :)

Awesome news Franxis - I've been wanting to play some of those Konami games for so long (Simspons, X-Men, Aliens, etc).

I guess the GP2X isn't dead just yet!

another question pops up.. with this mame it would be possible to play WWF wrestlefest....? droool :)
[/quote]

Wwf wrestlefest would be fantastic. Is this possible on GP2X :p

Thanks Franxis keep up the great work.

my excitement is a bit dampened but some of the beta testing reports but then again this is the start of a whole new version so some slowness and other things and problems (like having to convert your romset) are to be expected.

jbrodack said:
my excitement is a bit dampened but some of the beta testing reports but then again this is the start of a whole new version so some slowness and other things and problems (like having to convert your romset) are to be expected.

the new version is really great.... but dont expect miracles...back in the day you needed 500 mhz+ to run some games at decent speed

all new williams games (MK ; NBA JAM; NARC etc.) run slow as hell and most have serious Gfx issues
but the Konami games (aliens, Simpsons , Turtles , Sunset Riders) run very well :) :)
the only bad side is really the not saveable settings per game..

Back