Making Pnds

Pleng

Hi I know the information is out there and searchable but my time is very limited.

It is my intention to package up a few things as PNDs so I'd rather fall upon the mercy of those knowledgeable in the relevent areas to point me in the right direction, so that I can spend time actually trying to make some PNDs rather than wasting it searching around for the information.

I need to know:

1. Where I can find the rootfs for the Pandora OS so that I can install it to an SD card
  2. Where I can find the windows tool to make PNDS (I'm sure there's one out there somewhere)
  3. Anything else you think I might have missed that I will need in order to make PNDs
Thanks

Pleng said:
  1. Where I can find the rootfs for the Pandora OS so that I can install it to an SD card

1. We haven't released that yet, please wait a bit more :)
    Doesn't help you with creating PNDs though (as PNDs don't change the system - unless the programs use your Home-Directory)

[*]Where I can find the windows tool to make PNDS (I'm sure there's one out there somewhere)

Not yet released, I really didn't have time to finish that yet.

[*]Anything else you think I might have missed that I will need in order to make PNDs

You might want to look up the instructions here to find out how to make proper PXML-Files and package them into a PND.
Sounds hard at first, but really is easy.
I can help you with some things if you want.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Pleng said:

1. We haven't released that yet, please wait a bit more :)
    Doesn't help you with creating PNDs though (as PNDs don't change the system - unless the programs use your Home-Directory)

Well, yes and no. I don't really want to be installing ipkgs to my NAND, so I'd like to be able to boot a clean OS to my SD card to install the apps I want to PND-up

You might want to look up the instructions here to find out how to make proper PXML-Files and package them into a PND.
Sounds hard at first, but really is easy.
I can help you with some things if you want.

OK thanks I'll take a peek

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know the state of this tool but might be worth a look at

ok thanks! now it's saying mkisofs is missing. Where can I get that?

cheers!

Depends on your distro.

To make a PND simply generate an iso - doesn't matter how, then you have the iso file and append the PXML and icon png (I have seen files with 16x16 to 256x256 pixels - doesn't need to be POT).
You can use any tool for this. The hardest part is probably to generate the iso (mkisofs will simply generate that iso for you - but you can use anything to do it).

Na-Noo said:
Don't know the state of this tool but might be worth a look at

It's in terrible condition. But it just might produce a working PND if you don't have spaces in the path, uses something else than ISO9660 as filesystem (a flag is missing in the call, so it uses short file names) and does everything right the first time. But I'll try to get the RC out, it's much more stable and functional (...when it's done...).

For windows, to make a PND, you can do something like

Code:
copy program.iso + PXML.xml + icon.png program.pnd

to make the .PND.

Just use whatever burning program to make the .ISO.

JayFoxRox said:
Depends on your distro.

Ummmm Angstrom? :p

I'm trying to do this from my Pandora

um any idea how to install mkisofs on Pandora?

Pleng said:
um any idea how to install mkisofs on Pandora?
This tool does not exist for the Pandora (at least not in the feeds that I've browsed), you'll have to use another computer or join in on the discussion about how suitable the PND format is.

Back