Pandora Making a pnd, PXML, and General PND problems

dan

Still Fresh
so basically I'm having trouble making my project into a .pnd file

I've tried a bunch of times.

I can run the compiled program on the Pandora just fine, it just does not run once i add it to a PND

can someone make me an example PXML my executable file is named SyobonAction

i also tried using a script to launch it but it doesn't seem to work either

Edit: My PND structure

/data <data folder required by my ported app

icon.png <Icon

PXML.xml <PXML

syobon.sh <startup script

SyobonAction <Executable

PXML

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PXML xmlns="http://openpandora.org/namespaces/PXML">

<package id="syobonaction">

<version major="1" minor="0" release="1" build="2"/>

<author name="DannyBoyJaros" website="http://www.openpandora.org"/>

<titles>

<title lang="en_US">Syobon Action</title>

</titles>

<descriptions>

<description lang="en_US">Challenging version of Mario in which you play as a cat and there are crazy traps all around you.</description>

</descriptions>

<icon src="icon.png"/>

</package>

<application id="syobonaction">

<exec command="run.sh" x11="req"/>

<version major="1" minor="0" release="1" build="2"/>

<author name="DannyBoyJaros" website="http://www.openpandora.org"/>

<titles>

<title lang="en_US">Syobon Action</title>

</titles>

<title lang="en_US">Syobon Action</title> <!--Extra block for compatibility with OS versions before HF6-->

<descriptions>

<description lang="en_US">Challenging version of Mario in which you play as a cat and there are crazy traps all around you.</description>

</descriptions>

<description lang="en_US">Challenging version of Mario in which you play as a cat and there are crazy traps all around you.</description> <!--Extra block for compatibility with OS versions before HF6-->

<icon src="icon.png"/>

<licenses>

<license name="I Do What I Want" url="http://www.google.com" sourcecodeurl="http://www.google.com"/>

</licenses>

<previewpics>

<pic src="icon.png"/>

</previewpics>

<info name="Syobon-Readme" type="text/html" src="readme.txt"/>

<categories>

<category name="Game">

<subcategory name="Arcade"/>

</category>

</categories>

</application>

</PXML>

syobon.sh (i've also tried executing the SyobonAction Executable directly in the PXML)

Code:
#!/bin/bash

./SyobonAction

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the application appear in minimenu/menu/desktop but not run, or does the PND not seem to be recognised at all? Why not attach your PXML and then someone from the community would hopefully be able to tell you what's wrong with it. I'm sure if you just ask for an example they'll just link you to the wiki.

I myself have yet to be able to get a PND to actually be recognised by Pandora, so I'm in a similar if not identical situation as you.

can someone make me an example PXML
Just run an existing (non-fullscreen) PND (such as e.g. gedit) and check /mnt/utmp/<pndname>/PXML.xml for an example.

i've done something very similar to that and used the PXML's from pidgin, transmission, firefox, minamp, and others (tweaked of course)

Does the application appear in minimenu/menu/desktop but not run, or does the PND not seem to be recognised at all? Why not attach your PXML and then someone from the community would hopefully be able to tell you what's wrong with it. I'm sure if you just ask for an example they'll just link you to the wiki.

I myself have yet to be able to get a PND to actually be recognised by Pandora, so I'm in a similar if not identical situation as you.

yes i have the same problem the pnd refuses to show up in the menu, but it will show up on the desktop

yes i have the same problem the pnd refuses to show up in the menu, but it will show up on the desktop
Have you checked the "Other" menu? If your category isn't correct, it'll just default to Other.

Have you checked the "Other" menu? If your category isn't correct, it'll just default to Other.

yes i have checked there too, it doesn't show up, but that's not the real problem for now...

i just want the PND to actually launch (from the desktop, then ill fix the categories)

Does /tmp/pndrun_SyobonAction (or whatever you called your PND) report anything interesting?

I'm guessing your problem is in the application ID. I'm not certain, but I think that having a space in it is a bad thing. There are other limits to the ID of which you should be aware too.

If you change that and it still doesn't run, look at the terminal output. Any time a PND application is run, all terminal output is sent to /tmp/pndrun_appid.out. This should give you a hint as to what's keeping it from running.

Finally, as has been mentioned, the list of FreeDesktop categories says your category should be "Game", not "Games". You probably also want to include a subcategory, like "ActionGame".

Edit: Also! Uncomment that one title line. It's still required, as hotfix 6 hasn't been released.

I'm guessing your problem is in the application ID. I'm not certain, but I think that having a space in it is a bad thing. There are other limits to the ID of which you should be aware too.

If you change that and it still doesn't run, look at the terminal output. Any time a PND application is run, all terminal output is sent to /tmp/pndrun_appid.out. This should give you a hint as to what's keeping it from running.

Finally, as has been mentioned, the list of FreeDesktop categories says your category should be "Game", not "Games". You probably also want to include a subcategory, like "ActionGame".

Edit: Also! Uncomment that one title line. It's still required, as hotfix 6 hasn't been released.

I have redone my PXML a bit can u check it for me and see if u notice anything wrong,

Anyone please

Use the wiki.

There you would find something which would be useful for finding mistakes in your PXMLs yourself: http://pandorawiki.org/PXML_specification read it, then do what it says in the last paragraph: validate it. Then you'll see what exactly is your mistake. There are also some example files on the wiki.

ok, so my new PXML now works thanks a bunch guys

now im getting errors with loading sounds from my app

so can anyone give me an example command to move my /data/ folder to my appdata directory /syobonaction/

so can anyone give me an example command to move my /data/ folder to my appdata directory /syobonaction/
What? Your appdata directory is mounted as an overlay over the content of the PND itself. That way, whatever is in your appdata will shadow the contents of your PND and modifications to your files should automatically be stored in appdata instead.

What? Your appdata directory is mounted as an overlay over the content of the PND itself. That way, whatever is in your appdata will shadow the contents of your PND and modifications to your files should automatically be stored in appdata instead.

AHHH i understand now, that explains alot for me

well i'm getting an error about loading sounds (gonna have to investigate)

If you didn't know this before I suggest you first read all the pages about PNDs and PXML in the wiki. It's worth it.

If you didn't know this before I suggest you first read all the pages about PNDs and PXML in the wiki. It's worth it.

thanks for the advice i read some of it, but i found a solution for my problem

if i copy the /data/ folder from inside my pnd to /appdata/syobonaction/data/ the sound loads

can anyone give me a script to copy a folder from inside a pnd to the pnd's appdata folder?

If you want to do this:

Rename the folder you want to copy to something else like data_def

put the following line in the startupscript:

Code:
cp -R -n data_def data

This should do the trick ;)

Back