Make Your Xfce Scroll Bars Wider

xopher

If like me you use the XFCE desktop more on your Pandora you might be annoyed with the default width of the scroll bars. I didn't see (or really look) for anything in XFCE settings to change the width. I did some searching because mousing with the nub and using the stylus was a bit of a PITA to me when it came to scroll bar usage. I came across the following page that helped remedy this annoyance for me. :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=255065

For the too lazy to click you must create a file in your homedir called .gtkrc-2.0

Code:
mousepad ~/.gtkrc-2.0

Next paste the following text inside and save:

Code:
style "scroll"
{
    GtkScrollbar::slider-width        = 25
}

class "*" style "scroll"

Restart your XFCE session.

Enjoy!

Using a width of 25 makes using the scroll bar more manageable. Adjust to your personal liking.

SomeGuy99 said:
This is awesome. Thanks :D

I just punched in 40 after trying 25. Good size there, able to use a fingertip now and not waste too much real estate. ;)

EDIT: Anyone handy with a .gtkrc that could add/suggest more XFCE mods please add them or let's make a thread dedicated to this. I'll be doing more research.

EDIT AGAIN: For fun here's one for menu popup delay for submenus (untested)....If I get a collection I will change the title of the post and add them to post #1.

gtk-menu-popup-delay=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that is fantastic. :D I'll be trying that out right away as soon as I get my Pandora back. Thanks very much!

Would be cool if these little hacks could made it into the next Hoftix/Update. :)
I imagine a small Menu where you can set the size of the Scroll Bars - if this is possible.

Someone should make a HackApply tool, with a database of little hacks.

(ie: I'm reminded of HackMAster for PalmOS)

ie: Have it parse a XML file, list all the known hacks, and each hack would have an Setup and Remove script.

Anyone got free time, that would rock :)

jeff

Well, for this kind of thing, someone should just make a general gtkrc editor. It'd be useful on PCs, too. I'd be surprised if this doesn't exist already.

EDIT: Here's the GTK 2.0 documentation. It lists all the "properties" you can assign to them through .gtkrc-2.0. Basically look at everything below GtkWidget for all the standard crap, and look in /usr/share/themes/*/gtk-2.0/gtkrc for some examples on how to get this stuff working.:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/ch01.html

xopher said:
skeezix said:
Anyone got free time, that would rock :)

jeff

I has time, but no skills heh
Me too. :D All time in the world but very bad coding skills. I wish I could sell my time to some talents here, I would make a fortune with that. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers thats a nice tweak. I agree it would be lovely if a bunch of them could be made into an app with tick boxes and values etc in a nice GUI. Sounds like hardwork though.

If you want the scrollbar buttons stretched to match your new scrollbars, the file needs to read like this:

Code:
style "scroll"
{
    GtkScrollbar::slider-width        = 25
    GthScrollbar::stepper-size        = 25
}

class "*" style "scroll"

Here's the ones from vminko :

Code:
gtk-theme-name = "Elegant Mine"
gtk-font-name = "Liberation Sans 11"
gtk-can-change-accels = 1

sorry for the bump, is there some reason this doesnt work anymore? i get a "Can't convert codeset to 'ANSI_X3.4-1968'" error every which way i try it out

Back