Looking for level designers / pixel artists / music&sound / playtesters

Do you have a windows build?

Testing graphics is not very comfortable, when I have to transfer to the Pandora eacht time I did some changes.

Askarus said:
Building towers could be more user friendly.

That's how it is:

-Build button

-Selecting unit

-Build button

-Building tower

That's how it is usual:

-Build button

-Selecting tower

-Build button

-Moving curser to select a position

-Build button

-Building tower

If we have more towers this might be better I think.

Also it would be nice if you could show how an enemy's way will be effected before the tower is built.

In the next release you'll be able to choose between the two ways to build (instant build or build with confirmation, allowing you to re-position the new tower before actually building it). Also in both modes it will show the hypothetical new enemy paths.

I'm not sure, but if you select real time mode: off in options it won't be saved when the game gets closed
Will be saved in the next release.

I would like to see a different gameplay.

Wouldn't it be better to make 30-50 waves/epidemics.

Your first level are that short and easy. I don't think anyone will play them more than 2-3 times.

There shouldn't be much difference between the levels. The longer you play a level the harder it gets.

Every level has to be challenging after playing some time.

In the first waves you should build up your defence and collect some energy.
I want to keep the first few levels short, because they're essentially just tutorial levels. The future levels should indeed be longer and more challenging, and you'll have to make sure your towers are well-protected (by barricades or healers) or else you'll have to do a lot of rebuilding.

Couldn't you make the levels bigger?

It's a free-field tower defence game. Bigger levels would give much more space for building up a good strategy.

If we get more different units players can hardly get the full potential out of the game if there's not enough space to build a good strategy.

I could make some nice big fields for you.

Currently I'll stick to one-screen levels (max 19x14 squares, or maybe 20x15), because it allows you to keep an overview and I don't have to implement scrolling. It should not be too hard to change that later to allow bigger levels (with scrolling; zooming is harder), but first I want to explore what is possible in one-screen levels. 19x14 = 266 squares is quite a lot already, if you fill that with towers it is probably already too much to draw while getting a decent FPS.

Attacking more than one enemy with one unit would be nice, too.

This could be an L/R option or a different type of unit.

I've implemented this. It'll be an L/R option, but I'll probably only make it available in a few units.

Version 0.3 is on the repo. Forgot to keep a changelog, sorry. Added quite a few units, they are hidden in the tutorial level pack to keep things simple at first; they are available in the "Microbes" level pack (you can unlock it when reaching level 5 of the tutorial level pack). Most of the game mechanics should be OK now. Time for playtesting, balancing and more levels!

This is starting to become a single-person thread - I would very much appreciate to hear feedback from anyone.

I'm currently working on touch screen support, you can expect this in the next release.

Any feature requests?

Own units get destroyed to fast for my taste. Could you please weaken enemys attacks a little.

Soon version 0.4 will be ready, and I'll declare it Beta (while 0.1 - 0.3 were Alpha releases). New features include touchscreen support, level previews in the menu, and some new units.

Level preview works? Great :) .

Will 0.4 be a little easier to play? At least the first 1 or two waves?

I'd prefere to see much more waves wich become really hard at the end but a more easy beginning to build up a proper defence.

Yes, the first levels should be easier in the next release. I've been playing this game myself too much now, and I know too much about the inner workings and the techtree, it is not easy to know how difficult things are. Maybe I'll add a global difficulty option, and in the easy mode the enemy hp and dmg would be scaled down.

OK, I started a thread in the Beta testing section (http://boards.openpa...ndora-microbes/) to collect feedback. You can still use this thread if you want to discuss the game from a dev point of view, or if you want to contribute to it in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back