Looking For Design And Branding Suggestions

It would help me to know, where this project is supposed to be placed. A third alternative for Craigs App Store and EDs File Aerchive?
A Unique solution or more like the File Archive or more like the App Store? Why Users want to use this "Box"?
Me for myself hate decissions so I actualy want only ONE place where I get my Pandora Software from. The Question is: whcih place will it be? ;)

dflemstr said:
Also, does anyone have color scheme suggestions? (I suck at creating color schemes, especially when it comes down to nitty gritty details like table header colors and diagram gradients)

I would like the standard color-scheme we use here on GP32X as an option.

Also, do you have AIM, MSN, ICQ, Gtalk, Yahoo, or visit freenode? I would like to have a chat with you about this and other things, but would rather like to bounce ideas rather than sending a ping (forum post) and waiting for a response.

EDIT: You can pm me about the IM account, if you don't want it publicized.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
I'm also asking for a final (product) name for this project. "The Box" is and has always been a code name, and a final name for the released product is needed.
Code names are always better than final names. Just be smart and keep the code name!

If you haven't bothered visiting the test page at http://dflemstr.dyndns.org:8088/ yet, be informed that the current design looks like this (nothing too fancy):
91i5vl.png

b49r2t.png

wrc6sh.png

s5iv6g.png
I don't have much to add here, except that I hope you lose the tag clouds shown in the first image. I know they're very web-point-oh and all, but they're also ugly, and waste a lot of space, which is critical for this app.

milkshake said:
apptrackr
I was going to mention that site, but wasn't sure if it was too naughty.
Now someone else has, I'll back it up.
Base your site on apptrackr :).

quote said:
milkshake said:
apptrackr
Base your site on apptrackr :) .

Vindicated, cheers. B)

quote said:
Base your site on apptrackr :) .
Certainly looks nice, but please don't break the back button like apptrackr does.

The title mentions branding, so I had a go at a logo for your site. I wanted it to look robust, modern, and a bit mysterious. Here's where I've got to so far:

pb2h.png

Let me know what you think :)

dflemstr said:
Well I've sketched a hybrid of different design suggestions, trying to simplify everything as much as possible...

Sketch: (powered by Inkscape...)

The home screen would contain:
  • Popular searches
  • Maybe upload history
  • If the user is logged out:
    • A login box
  • If the user is logged in:
    • Basic user profile info like the username + avatar
    • A list of available updates + download statistics like in the current version
    • An "Edit..." and "Logout..." button

The "Popular" and "Newest" tabs determine sorting direction. "Advanced" will replace the categories row with a search field like the one in the current version.

The row with categories contains the most used categories, sorted alphabetically, and the "..." can be clicked to enter a new category.

There are 6-8 application entries per page, and either dots or page numbers as described by milkshake to visualize which page you're on.
Each application entry will have the layout as shown. I might consider replacing the "uploader" or "time" field with rating stars in the application overview, we'll see about that. When an application is clicked, you will be taken to the application's details page, similar to the current one, with comments etc.

Does this design sound like a good compromise?

Also, does anyone have color scheme suggestions? (I suck at creating color schemes, especially when it comes down to nitty gritty details like table header colors and diagram gradients)
It needs an "ALL" tab somewhere. A newcomer just may want to see all apps available and not have to click between catagories. Sometimes you just want to see everything available and don't care if it is a game, emu, productivity or if it is older or less popular etc you are just looking for something that catches your eye. You could sort by chronological or alphabetical via a toggle somewhere.

quartercast said:
Well the X doesn't make any sense to me, but I like the way you make the logo align with the text flow...

DaveC said:
It needs an "ALL" tab somewhere. A newcomer just may want to see all apps available and not have to click between catagories. Sometimes you just want to see everything available and don't care if it is a game, emu, productivity or if it is older or less popular etc you are just looking for something that catches your eye. You could sort by chronological or alphabetical via a toggle somewhere.
Yeah you're right, added to the TODO list.

(I've discovered a huge optimization opportunity in my database code so I'll do that before the redesign)

dflemstr said:
quartercast said:
Well the X doesn't make any sense to me, but I like the way you make the logo align with the text flow...

Coz it's pandora's box, it's saying don't open me unless you dare. It's dangerously enticing. It's... a mysteryyy *cough*

What else could go in the box? an evil file icon? some more boxes? hmm, I'll have to think abt it

Ok I put some files in there for ya.

pb3.png

Pandora's Box loves files.

Or how about PandoraBox muahaha

Me too, and I think I've found a good palette to work with (that complements the logo)!

025C8C ← Main

1B4E69 ← Drop shadow shades
013B5B

3392C6 ← Gradient shades
5AA0C6

DC7800 ← Highlights (dunno where I'd need this yet... but definitely for diagrams and stuff)

A56D29 ← Highlight drops
8F4E00

EE9C3B ← Highlight highlights (hi-lit links and their drops etc)
EEB26B

999798 ← Subtle color (à la the logo)

737272 ← Site partitioning (separators etc)
63314B ← (A little rogue, but I just extrapolated quartercast's base color so yeah...)

CCCACB ← Site segments (backgrounds of comment blocks etc)
CCCBCB

Any critique from you lurking color enthusiasts?

EDIT: "enthusiasts" is a much much better word ;)

Sweet, glad you guys like it.

@ dflemstr

Are you happy with the logo colours? I must admit I haven't delved much into colour variations yet.

I like the colour palette, the highlight colour is a good complement for the blue. It also tints well.

quartercast said:
Sweet, glad you guys like it.

@ dflemstr

Are you happy with the logo colours? I must admit I haven't delved much into colour variations yet.

I like the colour palette, the highlight colour is a good complement for the blue. It also tints well.
Well, you can probably discover a better palette than I, so feel free to go wild. The above color scheme is similar to the one the site currently has (which probably was your intention when choosing the two base colors in the logo)...

Also: "the highlight colour is a good complement for the blue"
Well, it is *the* (mathematical) complementary color to the blue, so yeah... well spotted!

Back