Lode Runner recommendations?

diligentcircle

Website
onpon4.github.io
Anyone have any recommendations for what port or clone of Lode Runner to play on the Pandora?

I can think of three versions off the top of my head. The first is the DOS version of Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, which is one of my favorite versions of Lode Runner (second only to its sequel, Lode Runner Online), but that seems to run much too slowly in DOSBox on the Pandora. The second would be the NES port of Lode Runner, but that port is easily inferior to the original (limited level editor without save, smaller screen with bad camera scrolling). The third would be the original Apple II version, but I don't own it and it doesn't seem to be widely available on the internet (talking about purchasing original copies from sites like Amazon, of course...). I'm not too fond of the original graphics and sounds, anyway.

Is there one that's been ported specifically to the Pandora (i.e. a PND has been made) that I haven't seen? If not, what ports or clones of Lode Runner would you recommend that can run well on emulators readily available for the Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any recommendations for what port or clone of Lode Runner to play on the Pandora?

I can think of three versions off the top of my head. The first is the DOS version of Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, which is one of my favorite versions of Lode Runner (second only to its sequel, Lode Runner Online), but that seems to run much too slowly in DOSBox on the Pandora.

Lode Runner: Legend Returns was released for PSX as well. It was working excellent on PCSX ReArmed

I can think of three versions off the top of my head. The first is the DOS version of Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, which is one of my favorite versions of Lode Runner (second only to its sequel, Lode Runner Online), but that seems to run much too slowly in DOSBox on the Pandora.

Lode Runner: Legend Returns was released for PSX as well. It was working excellent on PCSX ReArmed

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I'll have to check it out. But how is the level editor and the way it handles custom levelsets? I absolutely hate TLR's built-in level set, but there are some great custom sets (including the entire original Lode Runner set made by Presage), so if I can't load *.pzl files, it would be a hefty setback.

Ever hear of linapple??

That's an emulator, not a game.... I already know there's an Apple II emulator, which is why I listed the Apple II version as a possibility.
Well THAT game plays on THAT emulator and is easily found online. I know the difference between an emulator and a game.

I don't understand your problem.

Last edited:
Ever hear of linapple??

That's an emulator, not a game.... I already know there's an Apple II emulator, which is why I listed the Apple II version as a possibility.
Well THAT game plays on that emulator and is easily found online.

So I don't understand your problem.

Like I said, I didn't have such an easy time finding it.
It is easy to find if you know where to find it at.

I have Lode Runner on Linapple and it runs perfectly.

Last edited:
Lode Runner IV under Mame is practically fullscreen and looks great - no level editor of course.

ZX Spectrum owners will usually have a soft spot for their version, very minimal but fully featured.

I'll leave you to it if you want. It's past my bed time :D

Done :D

I'll attach a test PND for onpon4. Tell me if it works (tested on my precious Pandora already, but who knows).

Game controls are D-Pad and L + R shoulder buttons to dig.

Controls can be remapped in game.

The only weird thing is to exit game. It's explained in main menu, but who thinks of Alt-X as a normal button to quit?

If you're happy with it, I'll upload it to repo.

scavenger.pnd

scavenger-ingame.png

Attachments

• scavenger.pnd
    356.2 KB · Views: 160
Yeah, I noticed that, I was going to remap that to the Pandora button.

Did you check the settings path? on mine it created a hidden config folder on the NAND in the home folder.

Yeah, I noticed that, I was going to remap that to the Pandora button.

Did you check the settings path? on mine it created a hidden config folder on the NAND in the home folder.

Yup, had to hardcode some specific Pandora paths... Scavenger does strange things with data files on start-up. Noticed the two install lines in Makefile when compiling? That's crappy :D

why not remap it to escape :p ??

Could do. I'm not really sure what's better. Some people says that ESC is not a natural button in full screen games. Pandora button may be a better alternative. Or just Q.

Noticed the two install lines in Makefile when compiling? That's crappy :D
I was cross compiling, so that wasn't an issue for me, I just copied the executable with the data folder underneath to my sd card for testing.

why not remap it to escape :p ??
Yes, and no... Escape is logical from a "standard" approach, but requires two keys to be pressed

Could do. I'm not really sure what's better. Some people says that ESC is not a natural button in full screen games. Pandora button may be a better alternative. Or just Q.
Maybe hack in both Esc and Pandora keys :)

Back