List of PSX games you plan/hope to play

Another thing people are forgetting here? Battery life. The early videos of Psx emulation on Pandora devboards are at 600MHz and are (when not framelimited) running at between 90 and 150fps. This is also before they worked out that the L2 cache wasn't enabled, which does, of course, speed things up immensely. So if you want perpetual full speed, 400MHz should be enough, and in all probability, 300MHz may suffice.

Now, consider: A snes emu running at 550MHz (without L2 cache on) lasted 8.5 hours. This is without framelimiting, so the CPU is getting a good level of work from the emulator.

So, always keeping L2 off (I haven't seen any figures for battery life with it on, after all), and assuming my maths is right (I think it is):
8.5 = (400/550)x (x = theoretical time @ 400 MHz)
x = ~12 hours.

Show me a PSP that can play 12 hours of psx, and then I'll consider psx on Pandora inferior. And even then, only if it's at a comparable level of optimization for the respective chipset.

Tobriand said:
Another thing people are forgetting here? Battery life. The early videos of Psx emulation on Pandora devboards are at 600MHz and are (when not framelimited) running at between 90 and 150fps. This is also before they worked out that the L2 cache wasn't enabled, which does, of course, speed things up immensely. So if you want perpetual full speed, 400MHz should be enough, and in all probability, 300MHz may suffice.

Odd, i was under the impression i read most of the topics regarding the Pandora. Yet, i don't remember reading that the L2 cache was disabled on the PSX emulator. If i remember correctly, FF7 was running at 60fps at 500 or 600Mhz, and 100fps @ 900Mhz. And this was with the L2 cache disabled or what? And while i'm on it, for what Arm version was the PSX compiled? Armv6 or Armv7?

BTW, there is one flaw in your 12h calculation. Enabling the L2 cache will result in a lower clock speed needed, true. But, the L2 cache also drains power. It will depend on how much power the L2 drains, and how much lower the clock speed can go, to get a true idea of the extra batter life...

I wish there was some more info about the current state of the PSX emulator ( its been a while already from the original movies ) ...

To begin, for someone who's not a psp fanboy, if you got any more up on psp, you'd be dating it. Without even buying it dinner first. Classy.

Trying to compare a psp to a Pandora is like trying to compare a Scooter and a Harley. Sure, a scooter will get you places. But I'd rather get there on a much more powerful machine.

Your psp cannot outperform a Pandora, point blank. There's just no denying it. It's a simple look at system specs. So why would I want this? Because to put it simply, it does more, it does it better, and it will surely do it faster.

vree said:
Not everyone has or wants a PSP, a closed source platform. Go and enjoy your PSP. :|

If you put custom firmwire on it it's open :p.

I really want the Pandora if it can handle N64.

But why else would you get this.
The PSP can run like every major handheld and console out there.
And you knwo what... It can even run PSP games :p

And no I don't want to flame the Pandora. I just don't get it. the only thing i'm excited about is the N64 part of the Pandora.

And no I'm not a PSP fanboy.

I own the xbox 360, PSP , DS, PS3 and the old consoles like: N64, Sega 16-bit, snes, nes, ....
and so on and on

It's just if I compare the the Pandora with the PSP it fails if it can't handle the N64.

Yes my PSP is modded. So don't complain how hard it is and stuff. It's not

I don't have a PSP myself, but going off of what my friend has been saying and what I've read online, the PSP is still pretty far from running SNES at full speed. According to my friend with a modded PSP, many SNES games using the PSP's SNES emulator have graphical glitches and don't run full speed with sound (at the very least you need to use a decent amount of frameskipping), and this isn't even talking about games with special chips. Also, I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) the Pandora's Amiga & MAME emulators will have better compatibility and will run faster than the PSP's emulators. Yes, the PSP can run PSX games, but the Pandora has the edge with much better battery performance (I also believe it'l be able to use some nice graphical filters that aren't available on the PSP, though I could be wrong). The Pandora will be able to "perfectly" emulate a decent amount of systems that the PSP still can't emulate "perfectly" (also don't forget that the Pandora's keypad makes its emulation of computer systems that much better than the PSPs).

vree said:
Why is everyone so excited about the psx emulator?

The PSP can run any PSX game at full speed without any problems.
Why then, why I ask you does everyone cares so much?

Same goes for the Sega 16-bit, snes, nes, GB, GBA, genesis, wonderswan, ...

If you tweak your PSP settings you can run all those systems at full speed.

The only thing I want to see is a N64 emulator.

Jake said:
I'm going to take full advantage of the PSX emulator when it's released for the Pandora. I'm simply curious, what PlayStation games do you plan to play while riding on the bus, wasting time in the waiting room, or just sitting around on the couch? As for me, this is my list:

1) Final Fantasy VII
A lot of my friends have been complaining about me never finishing this game. Frankly, I never got out of Midgar. I always just thought FFVI was better, so I stopped wasting time with it. But, I'll settle and play it. Chances are, I'll love it.
Well you really should, it's a great game (and to me the last quality ff game from square). I've beat several times, but I want to play it again. I played ffv recently and I thought the gameplay was better than ffvi.

I need to beat Saga Frontier II since I got to almost the end and got my saves erased. I hope all the emulators will have speed up/frameskip hot feature or it'll be pointless me since it will be the same as playing with a real psx, I just don't have time for 50hours gameplay no more.

Hello from ZodTTD of psx4pandora!

I have a really great build of the Playstation 1 emulator for Pandora, psx4pandora, running and I am about to take some video of it in action. I know I asked for requests of this nature before, but I landed up getting sidetracked. I'm ready to go this time, I just wonder what games would make a good video.

Some ideas I have:
Final Fantasy 7 - Since its a fan fav.
Ridge Racer - Since it's a game that runs slow on most emulators.

I've done video's of FF7, Einhander, and Wipeout in the past. But I could do them again to show progress.

Games I would like to show off should be graphically good looking and well known to most gamers who play(ed) the Playstation 1.

Be fast with requests, and don't hold back. I'll be making the videos shortly. :)

Thanks so much everyone!
ZodTTD
zodttd@zodttd.com

Game videos that make my list:

FF7 (it'd be nice to compare the progress)
Symphony of the Night
Vagrant Story (the graphics always intrigued me)

I would suggest Wipeout 3. It worked pretty well on GP2X but damn its purty.

Other good looking games: Vagrant Story, Tekken 3, Resident Evil 3 and Dino Crisis 2.

benjiro said:
zodttd said:
I've done video's of FF7, Einhander, and Wipeout in the past. But I could do them again to show progress.

A comparison between the FF7 old & new video ( aka, improvement in speed ) are much appreciated.
that would be great, even though i despise ff7. it makes even less sense to me portably.

Yeah FF7 sounds like a definite. It's almost a pre-requisite. :p
I like the sounds doing Castlevania SOTN. Vagrant Story is good too, but not as well known.
I will see if I can find my Wipeout 3 for a test.

How about some pretty 2D RPG stuff? Legend Of Mana comes to mind but it may not be well known.

There's so many games to choose from. Final Fantasy Tactics, Street Fighter Alpha 3...
Keep em comin! :)

Do you think you could test any of these

*Team Buddies: 3D, works reasonably well on most emulators
* Evil Zone: 3D, works fine on most emulators but bad on some
*Jade Coccoon: works fine on most
* Guilty gear: 2d.
*LSD: 3d.
* Alundra: 2d
* bust a groove: 3d, alot of compatibility issues
haha, that was alot, but if you have any of those and could check working status or post a video that would be great.

The Spyros are bright and colourful. Any one of them would be a fine choice to show off 3d platforming.

Username said:
You sir, have won the thread. How can you be the only one here with that on your list?

MY list goes something like this:

Crash games
Spyro games (really need to get 2 and 3 :p)
Tomba

And probably any other awesome game I still have. I think I have Blasto somewhere, never did beat that game...
...and G-Darius, that game was pretty fun...

I say stick with the staples of the Playstation.
Destruction Derby any
Wipeout any
Twisted metal any
Tekken any
Gran Turismo any

I think any of the later versions of any of those games definetly taxed the PSX plus those are the names people know.
Personally i want to see Bushido Blade or Parappa.

Only one person mentioned Wild Arms?! :eek:

That series gets no credit and is seriously overlooked by gamers. In my opinion it is one of the best RPG's out there. FANTASTIC storyline, and overall fun gameplay. The battle scenes are horrible, but it's not any different from other RPG's. And I'm speaking about Wild Arms 1 here, I still haven't completed 2 all the way.

I've never played 4, or the Vth Vangard, but I've wanted to play the remake of the first one for PS2 FOR SO LONG.

It looks amazing and beautiful.

It's actually the only game I'm REALLY looking forward to. Silent Hill, Clock Tower, MGS1 and such, but above all, Wild Arms.

I miss it so. :(

Oh, and I noticed only one person mentioned it, and it's a big question, how are we going to play PSX exactly if there is no L2/R2? Wouldn't that absolutely ruin a lot of games? THPS is useless under that pretense, as is the MGS series. I just hope it's not as inconvenient as the Delete key on this thing, dear god. <_<

Back