Sony Psp Joysticks - Anyone Tried Them?

darkstar87

Still Fresh
Hi, i've just ordered a GP2X (can't wait!) but the joystick seems to be a real issue. All the mods look really inventive but haven't seen anyone try these Lik Sang Just wondered if they could be used as replacements or if anyone has already tried them and found them unsuitable. Cheers :)

good find. I don't recall anyone mentioning them before. They really do make the PSP ugly. I personally hate the analogue stick on the PSP (GTA) -- in my opinion it is worse than the GP2X one.

Just been looking around and people are replacing the psp thumbpad with a rubber trackpoint meant for a laptop - seems to work pretty well, may be another option for the GP2X. I may try both, they're pretty cheap options when i get my console (tomorrow with any luck :D :D )

I tried one of the concave PSP armour kit caps on my GP2X and it was a definite improvement.

The only problem is the shaft is a completely different shape to the GP2X stick so you will need to do some modding. I cut the shaft off the original stick and the new one and stuck the original one on the bottom of the new cap.

Probably still better off with one of DaveC's caps though

I did? I don't remember ever mentioning those, unless I did in passing and forgot. They look like a good replacement though, I endorse them even if I did mention it yesterday!

I tried these and they work great. The only downside if you have to fill the hole with some type of plastic filler/hardener. Then drill a new hole and you might have to do some sanding on the shaft to make it slimmer. It works if you have the time and patience. I didn't and DaveC posted up his cap replacement so I decided to stick with his.

Khatoblepas posted on Mar 5 2006 at 06:40 PM said:
I did? I don't remember ever mentioning those, unless I did in passing and forgot. They look like a good replacement though, I endorse them even if I did mention it yesterday!
My mistake it was K-teto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I ordered a 5 pack of PSP replacement caps on ebay for $5 and am currently working on modding them. The PSP caps have a square base so like people previously mentioned you have to fill them with something or somehow adapt the bottom to be able to fit on a shaft. I've ordered some plastic epoxy and will put that in the hole and then drill or poke a hole for the shaft. Should be rather nice.

I have looked at these too. The grip is good. The main problem is that they are too thick in cross section making the result too high. This extra height increases throw distance and makes a large deadzone even larger. The underside needs to be conical and thinner like mine to allow them to be pressed down farther. They are cheap but if they incease the dead zone and are a pain to fit it doesn't seem tworth the trouble to me.

DaveC posted on Mar 15 2006 at 12:03 AM said:
I have looked at these too. The grip is good. The main problem is that they are too thick in cross section making the result too high. This extra height increases throw distance and makes a large deadzone even larger. The underside needs to be conical and thinner like mine to allow them to be pressed down farther. They are cheap but if they incease the dead zone and are a pain to fit it doesn't seem tworth the trouble to me.
Cmon everyone stop trying to find alternatives. As you can see DaveC's has perfect dimensions, smallest deadzones and best comfort!

For every new joystick mod DaveC will come out and tell you why his joystick cap is far superior :D

P.S: BUY DaveC's cap!

I got this cap working, I'll post some pics when I have it finalized, it's a big improvement over the stock cap. It's sitting a little high right now so I'm going to take an xacto knife and cut off some of the base. If anyone's curious how I got it attached, I found an old ball-point pen and cut off 1/2 inch or so of it, it fit perfectly on the gp2x shaft, but since it was round didn't go into the square hole of the pad very well, so I shaved off a little on each side and it fit nicely. I had to experiment with a bunch of different pens to get the right size to fit the shaft. The base of the pad is a too flat so the plastic of the pen piece needs to stick out a little or you can't use some directions very well. Once I have it the right height I'll put a drop of superglue on the pen piece and then it will be more permanent.

PiratSS posted on Mar 15 2006 at 12:20 AM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 15 2006 at 12:03 AM said:
I have looked at these too.  The grip is good.   The main problem is that they are too thick in cross section making the result too high.  This extra height increases throw distance and makes a large deadzone even larger.  The underside needs to be conical and thinner like mine to allow them to be pressed down farther.  They are cheap but if they incease the dead zone and are a pain to fit it doesn't seem tworth the trouble to me.
Cmon everyone stop trying to find alternatives. As you can see DaveC's has perfect dimensions, smallest deadzones and best comfort!

For every new joystick mod DaveC will come out and tell you why his joystick cap is far superior :D

P.S: BUY DaveC's cap!

Not exactly true. I will only say it is superior if it really is. I am just stating facts of geometry here. Higher sticks are going in the wrong direction if you want to improve control. I did say that the PSP caps do improve grip, which they do. Higher sticks also give more leverage so they are easier to push. They also increase dead zone though and I think people should be aware of that trade-off as well. Mine increases leverage by using a larger disc. It decreases dead zone by being low-profile. It solves both problems (leverage, dead zone) as much as possible. I don't mind if someone doesn't want mine. If they do go for the PSP one they should try to get the cap as close to the pivot point as possible. That goes for all of these mods. I see alot of these and many are very tall giving a bigger throw distance and decreasing precision.

Back