LeTux OS

johnicboom

Fresh as a buzzard
Trying to boot the latest LeTux OS on the Pyra after seeing Askarus' post here:

Here's how I prepared my SD Card (info from here: https://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-makesd/):

In my Downloads folder:
wget -O makesd "https://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-makesd.git;a=blob_plain;hb=HEAD;f=makesd" chmod +x makesd

Double-checked SD Card device (Pyra's left SD slot):
sudo fdisk -l
mine is mmcblk3

Wrote image to SD card:
sudo DEV=/dev/mmcblk3 ./makesd pyra-4gb

This boots to tty1, but no Fn keys work, so I can't type most symbols. This is what I see:
LeTux-Stable-Pyra4gb-Sm.png

Askarus, is this how it fails for you and ED?

I tried adding "-v stable" like this:
sudo DEV=/dev/mmcblk3 ./makesd -v stable pyra-4gb
and it appears to be the exact same image as not specifying a version.

I tried adding "-v latest", but it can't find this file:
"!! could not find https://download.goldelico.com/letux-debian-rootfs/latest-armhf-pyraos.tbz

I tried adding "-v unstable", but it can't find the kernel file:
"could not find https://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/unstable-lpae/uImage

I didn't have a ton of time today, but I'll dig into this some more this week and see what I can find out. If anyone has any pointers, I'm all eyes and ears.

This is more that what we got. For us, the installer failed. Maybe there was some update within the last few months since we have tried.
It is great news that you were able to get it to boot.
I do not call this a failure.

It most likely does not have funkeymonkey/pyrainput, so it is natural that the fn keys do not work. I guess you need to ssh into t or use an external keyboard.
Can you type "-" (FN+X) if so, you can type underscore via FN+SHIFT+X.

EDIT:
I will definitely give it an other try. This already helps a lot. I am not sure if I will do this today because I need a bit of a break after all those news post and an other day spent on finally fixing the keyboard on Bookworm.

Being able to boot LeTux should be enough.

If you want to help me further, see how easily we can get a network connection. Not sure if USB to LAN works. If that is the case, then I can install XFCE and Modemmanager to test LTE.

If you have an LTE version and want to test the modem, you can enable/disable it via
Code:
sudo /usr/share/pyra/scripts/letux/wwan-on
sudo /usr/share/pyra/scripts/letux/wwan-off

At least that is how it is done on the Pyra.

Last edited:
Pyra keyboard can't type anything that needs the Fn keys, so:
- _ /
are all not possible for me. As you suggested, an external keyboard works perfectly.

I am able to connect to wifi by doing the following, though it's possible one of the first 2 steps is redundant. I need to reflash my sd card later and see exactly what is needed:
ifconfig wlan0 up

Since running
ip link
still showed that wlan0 was DOWN, I ran:
ip link set wlan0 up

To save my WiFi network name & key:
wpa_passphrase WLAN_NAME WLAN_PASSWORD > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
replacing WLAN_NAME with my actual SSID, and WLAN_PASSWORD with my actual password

Connected using the wext driver, hoping it would work:
wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp3s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wext

Turned on DHCP:
dhclient wlan0

I could ping 8.8.8.8, so I tried an
apt update
and it worked! :D

Finally, I tried installing XFCE:
apt install xfce4
when asked, I chose lightdm, and then over-wrote /etc/x11/xinit/xserverrc with the package maintainer's version.

I can't start XFCE using
startxfce4
LeTux_XFCE4_Error-Sm.png

I foolishly did not check that log before shutting down. :oops:

I can try again later today or tomorrow, now that I've refreshed my SD Card with a fresh LeTux. I'm sure I made a novice mistake or am just missing something important. We'll see!

Last edited:
Pyra keyboard can't type anything that needs the Fn keys, so:
- _ /
are all not possible for me. As you suggested, an external keyboard works perfectly.

I am able to connect to wifi by doing the following, though it's possible one of the first 2 steps is redundant. I need to reflash my sd card later and see exactly what is needed:
ifconfig wlan0 up

Since running
ip link
still showed that wlan0 was DOWN, I ran:
ip link set up

To save my WiFi network name & key:
wpa_passphrase WLAN_NAME WLAN_PASSWORD > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
replacing WLAN_NAME with my actual SSID, and WLAN_PASSWORD with my actual password

Connected using the wext driver, hoping it would work:
wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp3s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wext

Turned on DHCP:
dhclient wlan0

I could ping 8.8.8.8, so I tried an
apt update
and it worked! :D

Finally, I tried installing XFCE:
apt install xfce4
when asked, I chose lightdm, and then over-wrote /etc/x11/xinit/xserverrc with the package maintainer's version.

I can't start XFCE using
startxfce4
View attachment 39324
I foolishly did not check that log before shutting down. :oops:

I can try again later today or tomorrow, now that I've refreshed my SD Card with a fresh LeTux. I'm sure I made a novice mistake or am just missing something important. We'll see!

Man, this is super valuable information. Thank you. It will save me a lot of time once I am back to investigating the LTE issue.

Back