Lets Discuss The New Cases

Moxie said:
XPANSiVE said:
They have to send MORE????!?!?!?!?

*buries face in hands* Yes. As has already been explained. And which is no surprise to anybody who is able to read this or any other recent thread about the cases. Sheez.

Did you mean, 'sheesh' or 'jeez'?

Last edited by a moderator:
Paradox said:
Sphinxter said:
WhiteBat said:
Exophase said:
Of course the units will be silkscreened. Otherwise you wouldn't know which key was which...
the keys don't get silkscreened silly exophase

So the white paint appears in the form of letters how then?

who knows, but the keypad does not undergo a process of 'silkscreening'
LOL

hobbyman II said:
That's like being bemused because the work on your house extension is still ongoing, even though the building firm told you it was going to be finished two months ago.

well!, yes!, I don't know how they do things in your part of the world, but in my experience if the builder says they will have my extension done in two months time, then that's when it happens

Well that's not how it works where I come from. And I come from the same country as Craig. I'm glad service works well in your country.

you don't have to research anything, the people you contract to do the job should know what they are doing, if they don't, then bring out the penalty clause, (that's sort of like Santa Claus , but he makes you richer, rather than poorer :p )

Penalty clauses? With a Chinese firm? LOL

Your following arguments are at best flawed, at worst irrational... ok here we go. If you don't want to bother working through the exercises to find out which part you missed in each of your examples, then simply click the button

In each of your examples, you missed out the whole point of the argument: RESEARCH!

your "oh! you should have known" attitude is a bit cocky, so when you walk into a shop to buy some advertised product and they tell you they are out of stock, that's your fault?

No. However if I used an online checking system, found out there was no stock then spent time quing up to buy one anyway, THAT would be my fault (what extra step did I take in my version of the example?)

when you go to a match and it gets cancelled because of bad weather, that's your fault too

Oh no. Certainly not. However if I'd checked the news/weather reports and found out that game was going to be cancelled then still travelled to the stadium anyway, the waste of time would THEN be my fault. Now, what's different about the two versions of the same situation?

, when you go to catch a train home and find they are on strike, that's your fault?

I don't know about where you come from, but here strikes are pre-meditated and announced well in advance. I'll let you think about this one for yourself. What additional step could I have taken to avoid wasting my time? The answer is a verb that begins with the letter R

, when someone backs into your car at the supermarket, guess whose to blame, why? you of course!

That is a random incident. No transaction took place.

, and when your girlfriend makes off with your best friend, then that's obviously your fault too

I'm not even going to bother with that one

, I bet you spend a fortune on antidepressants :lol: :p

Nope I tend to research things first. I'm well aware of when I've made mistakes and when other people are at fault. All OP have done the entire time is point the finger. If there was ever any moments of rationality with comments such as "well we shouldn't have..." or "we should have..." then perhaps it would be easier to believe it when we hear that OP have been shafted. But so far every single problem has been somebody else's fault.

Your attitude of "you should just believe what you are told by anybody you do business with" is totally off the mark and in fantasy land. Taking that attitude we should ALL be pointing fingers at OP and blaming them for every inconvenience that has been cause by NOT having a Pandora since December 2007.

Why? Because that's what they "TOLD US"

Pleng said:
Your attitude of "you should just believe what you are told by anybody you do business with" is totally off the mark and in fantasy land.

However, you should be able to. Business partners should be reliable.

(If this turns into an argument, I'm not going to continue with it. The previous is an opinion.)

The problem is now, any discussion whether it's OP's or the mould company's fault won't speed up the process. The decision to take that particular company has been made a long time ago and now there is only one option left: Proceeding forward and get MP going. _No_ discussion will change anything.

Edit:
Some padding info:
The cases are _completely_ paid by now, so it's in the interest of the mould company to get this order off the table fastest possible. The OP team booked "maximum quality" and so they are entitled to get that quality.
Anyone interested in the true success of the project should calm down and stop stirring up trouble, IMO.

mali said:
The problem is now, any discussion whether it's OP's or the mould company's fault won't speed up the process. The decision to take that particular company has been made a long time ago and now there is only one option left: Proceeding forward and get MP going. _No_ discussion will change anything.
They will need more moulds made eventually. Probably once these first 10'000 are used up. A mould is only good for so many uses before they need to rebuild it from scratch again. I said it before and I will say it again: failure to identify the source of a problem is a sure fire way of repeating that problem. Discussing where the fault lies doesn't help now, but it does help ensure it doesn't happen again.

I was surprised to hear that the cases were completely paid for now - I'd expected OpenPandora to keep some of the funds back as a "carrot" for completion. Certainly if the case manufacturer is not going to get any more funds then they have little insentive to do more tweaks.

Monk said:
I was surprised to hear that the cases were completely paid for now - I'd expected OpenPandora to keep some of the funds back as a "carrot" for completion. Certainly if the case manufacturer is not going to get any more funds then they have little insentive to do more tweaks.
I would imagine with an order as small as the one Openpandaora placed, the mould company probably required "Full" payment before the final moulds where produced. The prototype cases that have been floating around for the last year might have only required, a percentage to make, but I would have made sure all payments where in before producing the very expensive mould. Now if they had ordered 100,000 units, they might have accepted half up front, and then the other half at completion, but who knows for sure!

Chris

whenever the cases get approved, we still arent even close to getting our units, or at least I dont think so. what about keymats and all this silk screening chat. I hope they are making up their minds, as mass production still cant begin, untill all these other issues have been taken care of.

jumpman said:
Monk said:
I would imagine with an order as small as the one Openpandaora placed, the mould company probably required "Full" payment before the final moulds where produced. The prototype cases that have been floating around for the last year might have only required, a percentage to make, but I would have made sure all payments where in before producing the very expensive mould. Now if they had ordered 100,000 units, they might have accepted half up front, and then the other half at completion, but who knows for sure!

Chris

Agreed, chances are the finished mold and subsequent unit run are being charged pro-forma.

This whole case thing has turned into another instance of "I wish I hadn't bloody asked"
I'd make a two months comment, but even that's long since wore thing.

spikeyxx said:
jumpman said:
Monk said:

Chris

Agreed, chances are the finished mold and subsequent unit run are being charged pro-forma.

This whole case thing has turned into another instance of "I wish I hadn't bloody asked"
I'd make a two months comment, but even that's long since wore thing.

Yes, because 2 month jokes are so 8 months ago :)

anyone that had ordered a unit say in the past couple pf months, would have a nightmare, about months this and months that, but I enjoyed the comments, about 2 months and so 8 months old. sadly the comments are actually true, in the since that we have no idea within reasonable time frames, when are if we will see the pandara.

Jaguar said:
whenever the cases get approved, we still arent even close to getting our units, or at least I dont think so. what about keymats and all this silk screening chat. I hope they are making up their minds, as mass production still cant begin, untill all these other issues have been taken care of.
Well, in reality, yes we could be a lifetime away from receiving final units, and based on the last 12 months, I would place bets on the "lifetime"! I've actually said late february to mid march is a more realistic expectation. The keymats have been finalized for a very long time, and the silkscreen was also decided awhile ago! The mould company just never apllied it to cases before, and there seems to be a few hiccups. Now the team has stated many times in the past, that the silkscreen doesn't add any time to the case creation process, and the keymats and cases can be turned out by the thousands, as you would expect any mass production factory would be able to do.

Now there in lies the problem, I'm trying very hard to believe once the green light comes, that things can be done within a few weeks, but that is everyones choice to belive or not to! The factory where thousands of cases can be turned out, is the same one that said the silkscreen was no problem, and that the moulds should be done in 45 days! The team was fully prepared to try and ship as close to 1000 units as they could before christmas, and the only thing that derailed that was the "final case" delay! Now, if those cases had been perfect, we still might not have seen units for the holidays. Since it didn't happen, it's anyones guess!

So my "2 weeks" comments are just being based on the holiday expectation, and what has been said all along. Things can be done very quickly once The case is finally complete! I'm just trying to hope for the best! Although the lack of certain information can sometimes Suck Ass!

Chris

Vlynndar said:
Pleng said:
Your attitude of "you should just believe what you are told by anybody you do business with" is totally off the mark and in fantasy land.

(If this turns into an argument, I'm not going to continue with it. The previous is an opinion.)
That had got to be one of the most naive things I have ever heard. Who trusts any company to do anything it says? If companies did what they said, there wouldn't be such a thing as class action lawsuits. Seriously, what Fantasy land do you live in, or are you just a kid who doesn't know better?

BackAssward said:
Vlynndar said:
Pleng said:

That had got to be one of the most naive things I have ever heard. Who trusts any company to do anything it says? If companies did what they said, there wouldn't be such a thing as class action lawsuits. Seriously, what Fantasy land do you live in, or are you just a kid who doesn't know better?

Just a kid who doesn't know better.
You should be able to make a deal and trust each other to hold up their end of the bargain.

EDIT: Ah dammit I continued the argument.

All the other vids, however, were done by devs who were working on the emulator, the one ndbsolar was talking about was not. I don't remember the devs mentioning any large speed increase between the last dev video and Craig's, therefore, I see it more likely that Craig was running it with Frameskip than a great speed increase that the devs just didn't mention.
There has been large speed increases since the last sm64 video. I would say it runs ~15% faster than when i made the Neon optimised sm64 video. The other difference is using the PAL version which is more optimised and only runs at 25 fps. I think most people would be happy at around 700mhz for PAL sm64.

Wow, that's good to hear. Was sound enabled?
I don't think so. The old binary of the sound plugin doesn't work with the new OS, I'm guessing its just a SDL issue or something else that can be fixed with a recompile.

Is frameskip implemented yet? Don't remember any vids being done with it enabled afaik.
Standard frameskip is implemented, Auto-frameskip isn't. The gfx plugin uses at most ~50% cpu time so at half the framerate you will get a maximum of a ~33% gain in perceived game speed.

Back