Pandora Shipped Today - Some Questions About What's In The Package

Vorporeal

Yes, no, I, this is.
Website
Visit site
Strange title, sorry. It shipped today (OMG OMG OMG), and I'm wondering what I should be expecting, mainly in terms of the nubs. These obviously aren't the new nubs with fixed tolerances and better materials, but to what degree have mine been tested? Are they going to require the nub dance? Would it be possible (logistically or otherwise) to send my Pandora in to get the nubs replaced with the newer ones if I find that these don't cut it?

Also, totally unrelated - has anyone tried to/considered spraying some kind of fixative or similar on their case to reduce the paint coming off? I'm considering it, but I don't want to do it if people have tried and it's caused the case to not fit back together or caused warping or whatever.

Can't wait to join you guys in the fun. :D

Vorporeal said:
Strange title, sorry. It shipped today (OMG OMG OMG), and I'm wondering what I should be expecting, mainly in terms of the nubs. These obviously aren't the new nubs with fixed tolerances and better materials, but to what degree have mine been tested? Are they going to require the nub dance? Would it be possible (logistically or otherwise) to send my Pandora in to get the nubs replaced with the newer ones if I find that these don't cut it?

Also, totally unrelated - has anyone tried to/considered spraying some kind of fixative or similar on their case to reduce the paint coming off? I'm considering it, but I don't want to do it if people have tried and it's caused the case to not fit back together or caused warping or whatever.

Well firstly congrats ... lets set your expectation so that you love it and are not dissapointed.

ALL NUBS (from my understanding) need the dance ... I have had a couple of pandoras you can get away with not doing the dance a few times but when you boot up and the nub is unresponsive its a bugger then to have to reboot! My current one needs the dance of love before she will perform for me :)

YOU WILL have the bezel issue, all of mine have had it and my current one has it - ITS NOT a big deal!

PREPARE for more fun than you can throw a stick at! :) ENJOY - These two minor points are nothing compared to the gaming power you are about to experience

If your nubs do go on you, openpandora will fix/replace them ... so relax and enjoy and dont worry ... be happy

oh and

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ...... I still have nightmares of the twat on ebay that spraypainted his white!! My second recurring nightmare is seeing ED's in the sand :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Most nubs should be fine, there's just a disturbingly large number that seem to have failed for some reason. It's around about 20% I believe. It is high, but that number includes the ones that were DOA and intentionally shipped out as "one nub" units, so the actual chance of one of your nubs going bad should be lower. I have such a one nub unit, and the good nub is perfect. I never have to calibrate it, nub dance, or whatever: it just works, and has been doing so for 2 months without issue. There's been discussion about being able to pay to have the nubs replaced after the first batch has finished shipping, but I don't think either ED or Craigix have explicitly confirmed or denied that: it's just a thought for future consideration right now. Let them deal with the rest of the first batch before thinking about fixing things.
As for the paint, in 2 months the paint has not really begun to show any wear. I am not exactly gentle with it. The only places where the paint has come off is where I accidentally scratched it. It does not scratch all that easily. I should probably be a lot more careful in the future.

Vorporeal said:

If you don't have a one-nubber, then your nubs are covered by the warranty. I think craigx have paid enough RMA shipping from his own pocket to NOT send you a device that will fail within a few month. If they aren't working as expected (as in no nub-dance required) RMA it.

The content of the package will propulse your brain on mars. Enjoy your OMG days (I was so exited myself)

Um... Should I be worried?

6yLIEl.jpg

(Full Size)

Vorporeal said:

6yLIEl.jpg

(Full Size)

i'm neither a fancy big city lawyer nor a scaremonger but that is something which would concern me. However there is no use being worrying about something which you dont know about, you will no doubt receive some communication about it at which point you can then decide if its time to be worried or not.

Listen to Meher Baba and "Do your best. Then, don’t worry; be happy in his love."

Vorporeal said:
... I'm wondering what I should be expecting, mainly in terms of the nubs. ...

My first Pandora had to be returned for repair under warranty, that unit needed the nub dance and the right nub would never behave in a consistent manner.

OPT replaced the defective unit. The new Pandora has much better nubs, no nub dance is required and their behaviour is consistent.

The general build quality of the replacement unit is far superior to the original model.

Good luck with the FCC.

Vorporeal said:

Well, Craig has been adamant that it didn't need, & he didn't want, FCC certification, so if it's more than a simple clearance formality you know who to turn to.

On the plus side, if it does clear without problems, it's description should be on their records so future recipients shouldn't have the same snag.

It's not FCC. At worst it's been caught by a customs agent having a bad day who decided it is a taxable item. You may end up paying duty on it. They may need more information to decide exactly how much duty needs to be applied. Be warned, there may be bits of brain matter inside the box from when their heads explode trying to figure out whether it classifies as a computer or a game system.

Me smells a brokerage fee coming on he he ...
that will be 200$ for the processing fee thank you very much he he!!

it's my understanding that if there is a fee or import tax required, then ups pays for it on your behalf and then charges you. This way it's not held up in customs forever. Perhaps this is what happened? Let us know if you get a charge, Vorporeal.

I just got my Pandora back from repair and my nubs seem fine, haven't needed to nub dance yet and they have a lot better resistance than my last ones although there is still a small amount of play in them, they don't spring back to exact center but close to it. They work as expected however, so I'm happy. If they go out again, I'll send it back again - no big deal. :D

Congrats on your pandy finally shipping, I've been taking a break from the forums while I waited on mine to get fixed (close to 2 months) so I feel like a kid in a candy store again. So much stuff has happened in the last 2 months, it will keep me happily busy for awhile just checking it all out. fun times :)

Vorporeal said:

Can I ask you what your place in line was?

lobski said:
Vorporeal said:

IIRC it was approximately 500. :p

Tom` said:
lobski said:
Vorporeal said:

IIRC it was approximately 500. :p

So the crew ships #1000 and #500 gets delivered?

wut

lobski said:
So the crew ships #1000 and #500 gets delivered?
As per a message ED posted a few days ago, out of the first 1000:
* 250 went to EvilDragon
* a much smaller number went to Fatih (20, maybe?)
* approximately 150 had one bad nub for which people jumped the queue
* about 100 were returned for RMA
* something else I've forgotten, I think
Which puts Craig's queue at about 450-500.

WizardStan said:
* something else I've forgotten, I think
And some units were kept as spares for replacements? :p (I can't remember if there's been an estimate on how many of those there are/were, though.)

Mine was shipped about the same time as the OP (Oct. 5) to the US via Air Mail, and it hasn't shown up yet. It's probably in customs, but even if that's the case, shouldn't I have gotten at least a letter or something by now? I'm starting to worry. :(

Back