Letcool N350Jp

Here's me clicking the world with my new Letcool N350.
snap0012.jpg

Design wise could say it's almost an exact copy of the bottom piece of the DSi, it's got a matte finish with similar button positioning and shape. Heck, it even come with the same shitty camera. I've only played with it a little bit, but I can already tell that the corners of the unit are too sharp, it isn't that comfortable to hold. This may be remedied by a silicone case, but I don't know what the chances of obtaining one are.

The screen quality seems good, if a bit dark. Unfortunately there's no option to change brightness, I hope an update comes out for this (maybe not seeing as www.letcool.net is down already) or someone ports linux to it. I'm just watching a high quality episode of The Wire on it, its playing nice and smoothly.

The controls on the unit itself are well placed and firm, the buttons on the external controllers are a bit sticky/clicky for my liking. That's all for now, I'm gonna see if I can get Turtles in Time working on this baby :)

more testing - tv out is buggy - using md, if you bring up the game menu in a game, it locks up.

i don't have any 720p vids to test - but other vids which don't run, or run badly, on dingoo or my other old pmps, run perfectly on LC. Looks pretty good on tv too. so i've got no reason to doubt it would pay 720p well.

screen is colourful and bright, no dead pixels for me. manual doesn't say what res it is - it isn't high res, but the games do look good on it, and contrast is pretty nice when viewing at the right angle.

most of the emulators do suck in their current state, the md emu might even be fs1 on closer analysis.

so average right now, but absolutelyy tons of potential if devs get on board.

cheers, simon

Thanks and some good news there, Trooper.
I really want the L & R shoulder buttons to be mappable though...Nonetheless, it looks like a winner once they hack the crap out of these sunplus chips.

the menu of every spmp8000 device is based on bmp images, so it's very easy to edit.

SiENCE, you should talk to MaleAxx from MP4Nation, he was the guy that made the Doom port, I guess he is the only one who can give you all directions and informations.

thing are starting to look interesting for the letcool just tried early doom release on it and results are very positive it runs very well but early days yet i guess. hope it all takes off for letcool because it has potential to be good device :D

quick question to anyone who has been brave enough to buy one of these already...whats the battery life like? Does it suck like the GP2X?

Cheers
Reesy

Reesy said:
quick question to anyone who has been brave enough to buy one of these already...whats the battery life like? Does it suck like the GP2X?

Cheers
Reesy
it claims 4hrs of game time on full charge been on same charge now for over 3hrs and says battery half full will time it tommorow to see how long it takes to flatten

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been following several discussion here at gp32x forum, dingoonity and at modding section of mp4nation. Specifically I'm an owner of SPMP8000 pmp, the same chip used in this Letcool.

My devices, which is a generic spmp8000 with knock off look of Sony PSP. I got it from dealextreme. Here is the link where I buy it. About the battery life, I don't know about letcool since it have smaller screen size (3.5 vs 4.3) but it got quite impressive play time, around 6-7 hours of playing game/video for about the same charge time.

@Reesy: Considering that developement kit and SDK for this sunplus chip and letcool is almost not existed, how possible and difficult is for you to port the DrPocketSnes to spmp8000 platform?

If anyone want to hear about the system/software side review of this spmp8000, I could do it here. Most of spmp8000 use the same eCos OS, only the theme/cosmetic change, so I expect the emulator and problem is still there for you to experience it.

Anyway, I'm satisfied with my spmp8000. Currently playing Advance Wars 2 and almost quarter more to finish it.

Cheers and Hello again to all of you.

Reesy said:
So it looks like you can run homebrew already :) I'm so tempted now.

Go on Reesy, you know you want it :p

I'll give it a proper test for battery life - I'd say about 5 hours feels right, but I haven't timed it.

Like I say, the form factor feels really good, and the screen is very nice. Judging by how well it plays video, this thing has *huge* potential waiting to be unlocked - it's step above the dingoo with the bigger screen, more raw processing power, and the gamepads are a great bonus too.

I don't know if the chap (booboo?) who put linux on the dingoo is still around and interested, but if he applied himself to this, we'd have the obvious successor to the dingoo.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
i let my son run wild with the letcool and from full charge to empty took just over 4.5 hours of game playing on handheld .
hope this helps

That quite mid for me but I won't be satisfied with it if it'll take just as long to charge. I couldn't play all day (around 6 hours) after charging at night time.

Just short info for those who are interested in creating something for spmp8000 based device, AleMaxx who port Doom into spmp8000 (without sound currently) already compile a short getting started guide for potential dev and he say he will update the svn (that contain all spmpdev file and doom port along with some demo) sometimes next week.
http://alemaxx.al.funpic.de/spmp8000/sp8hc.html

Also this is excerpt from dingoonity thread, posted by AleMaxx:
I just searched through this thread, here is the testing app/bin-game: http://www.2shared.com/file/e1xJUlS7/testing.html
Btw, here is another link to a package I put together (for windows) containing an arm-elf toolchain, msys and the libspmp8k sources: http://www.2shared.com/file/12209596/465a1d4/spmpdev.html

Original AleMaxx thread at mp4nation
http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17095

What type of battery does this thing use? And are there already different ones available to extend the battery life? I do love how they were smart enough to make the battery easily replaceable.

I received a unit today and I must say the build quality is very good! It feels solid, not too heavy and like other people mentioned; the buttons and dpad are very nice.
I can't really add a lot of new stuff to what has already been said, it plays video great; way better than my Wiz and Dingoo and SNES and GBA emulators both suck.

I really hope some devs will pick up this machine and put a linux distro or improved firmware on it because the hardware deserves it!

which shop should i buy one from?
i'm from the uk and i don't want to pay import tax (obviously) so has anyones parcel come with a low HKD value on it like dealextremes parcels do?

Back