Two questions: Shipping and Emulation

tnpir4002

I've heard some great things about the Open Pandora, and I just ordered mine yesterday. Now come two important questions:

1) I've heard that in the past there have been issues with shipping. How soon can I expect mine to be ready for shipping? Is there an average?

2) I've read review after review telling how awesome the emulation capabilities are on this thing...but no one's posted any details about how it actually works. Does the Pandora come with any emulators, or will I have to find them? If it's the latter, any recommendations for emulators for the major systems?

Specifically looking to work with:

NES

SNES

Genesis

Nintendo 64

And maybe Game Gear and one or two others. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PS. I just bought a LetCool N350JP from ChinaVasion about a few weeks ago and I love it, this looks like it's FAR superior!

Hi and welcome! :)

I don't know how the current shipping situation is, as I don't really need to follow it anymore (I'm lucky enough to have had my Pandora for a while), so I can't answer that part. However;

2) I've read review after review telling how awesome the emulation capabilities are on this thing...but no one's posted any details about how it actually works. Does the Pandora come with any emulators, or will I have to find them? If it's the latter, any recommendations for emulators for the major systems?

Specifically looking to work with:

NES

SNES

Genesis

Nintendo 64

And maybe Game Gear and one or two others. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
The Pandora doesn't include any emulators - you'll need to install them yourself by putting them in a particular location on your SD Card.

At the top of the forum, you'll see a bar with several drop-down menus on it - mouse over the one titled "Resources", and the first item in it, "Software Repository", is where you'll find everything you need. To get you started, though, here are the recommended emulators for the systems that you listed;

gpFCE-GP2X, for the NES

Snes9x4P, for the SNES

PicoDrive, for the Mega Drive/Genesis, Mega CD, and 32X

Mupen64Plus, for the N64

Dega, for the Game Gear and Master System

I hope this helps! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered mine at the beginning of April, it will be at my door may 7th. So about a month to get.

The pandora come with no emulators. However many are available for download. But finding the Roms are up to you (I suggest bit torrents) there is also an extensive library of games developed for the pandora! Hope this helps! Go to openhandhelds.org

The pandora come with no emulators. However many are available for download. But finding the Roms are up to you (I suggest bit torrents) there is also an extensive library of games developed for the pandora! Hope this helps! Go to openhandhelds.org
Careful, remember that ED is legally responsible for any endorsement of illegal activities :unsure: (its his server)

However, using a retrode to access your original game carts is perfectly legal and supports another nerdy/niche product

Last edited by a moderator:
^ My understanding (from asking ED about it a while back, so that I could be sure about how to do what I'm supposed to do) is that discussion is ok, but linking to copyright-infringing materials or giving directions will cause trouble for ED.

Fair enough :) (I suppose its still worth avoiding the topic though)

^ Most likely, yes... I just wanted to stress that, at least as far as I know, Desertsniper didn't do anything that would cause issues. :p

Yeah I tried to be helpful with out crossing any lines! Thank for watching out for that.

Copy the Pandora Emu Pack to your SD card. This is a good starting point.

Appreciate the info, folks. I downloaded a selection of emulators from the Repository, so in terms of emulators I'm set.

Now the question turns into one about ROMs. I have a library of ROMs already, in the typical formats (i.e. *.nes for NES, *.smc for SNES, and so forth), will these programs read those formats or do I need to find them in proprietary formats?

Back