Let there be light!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
This will just be a pretty quick blog post without much explanation or anything else (more will follow soon :) )

Finally, we received the missing datasheet for the driver IC as well as some other needed documentation, and shortly after, Nikolaus managed to do the following:

DSC01893.jpeg

Now, before you are getting excited:

This is NOT a picture from the Pyra devboard.

It is a built-in test pattern from the driver IC.

However, it means that the LCD is now properly initialized - now we're talking ;)

Shortly after however, Nikolaus managed to do this:

DSC01894.jpeg

This doesn't look spectacular, I know. It looks like a white box on a black screen.

However, it isn't.

It's actually an X server with a white xterm window.

If you look careful, you can see a tiny symbol in the top-left corner of the LCD - that's the shell waiting for input.

It's very very small (well, FullHD on 5"...) and the camera is a bit overexposed.

But yes, that does mean: We've got the LCD running on the devboard.

Now you can get excited.

I don't have the hardware PCB at home right now to connect the display myself yet, so I can't do any more pictures.

However, as soon as I get an updated version from Nikolaus, I'll do pictures and videos.

Now it's fullspeed ahead mixing the components further together :)

DSC01894.jpeg

DSC01893.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The screen looks rather good in photo, I wonder if it can stand up against more main stream ones.

It's good to know the bugs are getting worked out, I hope Pyra will go into production soon.

The screen looks rather good in photo, I wonder if it can stand up against more main stream ones.

It's good to know the bugs are getting worked out, I hope Pyra will go into production soon.
It's the same screen as the nexus 5.. that isn't mainstream enough?

Apparently, it was probably PLANNED to be the screen used to be in the Nexus 5... we recently got a Nexus 5 in our hands and it uses a different screen.

Maybe this one wasn't finished in time...?

I thought we want to get away from mainstream :p .  

Nice progress ED!  Pyra wil be for sale in Two Monthstm

ha! I was jokingly thinking the same thing... this is progress... 2 months more and I'll have a Pyra :)

Good news though ED, cheers for the update and snaps 

Well done!

I like this steady progress. What is the next problem to tackle?
not just proble,s I think; but undefined/untested things a tthis stage:

- keyboard mat

- bakclight

- case (not finished/molded)

- logo

- probably tons of other things (the devil is in the details)

Back