Let it be known that I am now starting a pool for a Final Burn Alpha port

Blue Protoman

Sure, MAME .106 is nice, but it's clumsy and slow. Wouldn't it be nice to have something better, more optimized?

What is Final Burn Alpha?

It's an arcade games emulator, like MAME. The difference? Final Burn Alpha is much faster. It plays a lot of games that either don't run or run slowly in MAME .106, such as all the good Taito games from the mid-90's. Or a lot of Sega games. And the good old CPS2! Games in which overclocking just won't cut it. For example, if FBA were ported, you'd have a whole slew of new bullet-hell (aka "danmaku") shmups at your fingertips, which I understand the Pandora is lacking in a bit. Sure, there's the PS1, but not everything's been ported to it, and PS1 games are big. Really big. Too big. Also, a lot (but not all) of the Saturn's best games would become available. For a full list, see this gallery. Actually, the gallery's a bit outdated, so there's probably a bit more.

Yes, the GP2X and Wiz versions are available through Ginge. But consider this; first off, the GP2X version doesn't run in Ginge. The Wiz version does, but not only is it an older version (thus supporting less games), it can't take advantage of the Pandora's extra hardware! (Bigger screen, more buttons, etc.) I think, but I'm not positive, that performance takes a hit through Ginge as well. Correct me if I'm wrong.

How can I help?

Simply leave a pledge in this thread. But only leave a pledge if you know for a fact that you can pay it! I'll mark down pledges in this post. The only money that's going into my PayPal is my own; your commitments are just those, commitments. If no one but me promises money? Fine, you can consider this to be a lone man's bounty. If someone comes along and ports it, and it's up to your standards? Pony up the cash directly to the porter like you said you would. We're all honorable guys (and Prometheus), right?

And if we want something in particular?

That's up for discussion. Of course there are standards, but beggars can't be choosers. This is what I feel is necessary. If you don't feel the same way, say so! It's your money, you decide what you're willing to put it towards!

*Latest version (Source is available here.)

*Scaling options similar to those of MAME4ALL

*A usable interface

*Basic things configurable (controls, mainly)

*Nubs!

*A green on the scale used on Pandora Wiki

Just keep in mind that considering the money we've got on this, splurging in requests might not be such a bad idea.

I'll kick this off with an Andy. If you want a Final Burn Alpha port, show it by flashing what your bank gave you!

Pledges

• Blue Protoman ($20 USD)
  • Link (Free Pelican case of your choice from his shop and shipping, one per member if it's a team port)
  • scorpio ($20 AUD)
  • Juliano ($30 USD)
  • Klaus Kinski (£25 GBP)
  • Sugarfix (£10 GBP)
  • Alerino ($10 USD)
  • Miv ($20 USD)
  • socket ($10 USD)
  • b1llygo4t ($20 USD)
  • gfrancisdev (£20 GBP)
  • Nathan (£10 GBP)
  • Azuma ($10 USD)
  • Gyges ($15)

Total (in various currencies; approximate due to exchange rates):

$261.45 USD

£168.55 GBP

$255.80 AUD

201.97 EUR

+Plus a free Pelican case of your choice (and shipping) from Link's shop. If the port is a team effort, then one case will go to each member.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody start a pool for a DS emulator!

It's been said time and time again that that's not happening; the requirements for fullspeed are simply too high. With extreme (extreme) work, 20FPS is possible, at best. Best to focus on things that are possible.

Horray! Yes FBA so I can play all the campcom games. on the gp2x it would play the entire Street Fighter Zero catalogue and almost ran SF3 and SF-EX

So if i can get those on my panda i'll pay AU$20

Added!

oh goshdarn, why must i not have any time to work on this

(bp, you should at least mention how much your'e willing to pay, and payment methods :p )

I'm in, a certified vertical shooter loon resides here - i would be more than happy to contribute £25 to the cause.

I think i already know the answer (but i have to ask!) support for Radiant Silvergun yet (ever?)

I can help with US$30. You can count with me.
No problem. Added.

I'm in, a certified vertical shooter loon resides here - i would be more than happy to contribute £25 to the cause.

I think i already know the answer (but i have to ask!) support for Radiant Silvergun yet (ever?)
Added. And no, no Radiant Silvergun; Final Burn Alpha doesn't cover 3D games. A real shame, I know.

(bp, you should at least mention how much your'e willing to pay, and payment methods )
I did. First post. An "Andy" is a $20 bill. President Andrew Jackson?

(bp, you should at least mention how much your'e willing to pay, and payment methods )
Fine, I'll stump up a couple of Charlies for the cause. (Charlie? Charles? Charles Darwin? He's on the £10 Sterling note? The orange and brown one in the UK?)

"FBA" needs definition; I think I've gone on about it before ..

(heck, I even ported a couple FBAs already ;)

"FBA" _was_ something concrete once; a single coherent project, many years ago.

If I recall (its been awhile since I looked), FBA source was posted, and then many projects ran with it; some hacked in asm, while others removed it, some added more games, others removed it; some trandom variation was ported to this or that machine such as GP2x, etc.

So what are you asking for..

_WHICH_ FBA port?

The same codebase as was used on gp2x, or one of the others? If so, do searcvhes and provide URLs.

I might be totalyl misremembering, but I bet you coudl find 5 or 10 different projects all called FBA, but very different :)

jeff

Fine, I'll stump up a couple of Charlies for the cause. (Charlie? Charles? Charles Darwin? He's on the £10 Sterling note? The orange and brown one in the UK?)
Added. I'll assume you're throwing in £10, as you weren't specific.

So what are you asking for..

_WHICH_ FBA port?
Didn't know that many existed. Let's say the one I linked to, then. Doing a cursory search on Zophar, it seems that most other versions have gone discontinued. There's FBA Shuffle, but that only seems to add interface features. The GP2X version, while probably an easier port, supports less games.

I'll add $100 but it should have an interface the same as Notaz's GUI.
I'll add it, but I'm throwing in a question mark off to the side. sebt3's probably still fuming over the $500 that I assume never came.

I'll add $100 but it should have an interface the same as Notaz's GUI.
I'll add it, but I'm throwing in a question mark off to the side. sebt3's probably still fuming over the $500 that I assume never came.

What the hell are you talking about? Seb3 ported a spotify client which does not work with 90% of spotify accounts (mine included so I can't even try it).

But whatever, I'm removing the $100, happy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back