Let it be known that I am now starting a pool for a Final Burn Alpha port

I'll add $100 but it should have an interface the same as Notaz's GUI.
I'll add it, but I'm throwing in a question mark off to the side. sebt3's probably still fuming over the $500 that I assume never came.

What the hell are you talking about? Seb3 ported a spotify client which does not work with 90% of spotify accounts.

But whatever, I'm removing the $100.

If you're talking about it not working with anything that isn't premium, what did you expect? I'm telling you, you'll never get a Spotify client on the pandora that works with non-premium accounts. And if somebody finds a way around, it'll be short-lived, and leading to no spotify at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add $100 but it should have an interface the same as Notaz's GUI.
I'll add it, but I'm throwing in a question mark off to the side. sebt3's probably still fuming over the $500 that I assume never came.

What the hell are you talking about? Seb3 ported a spotify client which does not work with 90% of spotify accounts.

But whatever, I'm removing the $100.

If you're talking about it not working with anything that isn't premium, what did you expect? I'm telling you, you'll never get a Spotify client on the pandora that works with non-premium accounts. And if somebody finds a way around, it'll be short-lived, and leading to no spotify at all.

Thus the point of the challenge?

Anyhow, I'm quite curious about what seb3 has been saying, I'd like it to be public, because I PM'ed him and said when I got my hands on a premium account I'd try his player and probably pay up anyway.

So come on, as usual, I like these things in public...

imho, its a bad precedent to throw money around on emus -- we're talking $100 to $200 so far (wow!); why should anyone port anything, if $$ is on the line if they just wait for it to come up? I always found it distasteful myself, but maybe just me. Still, for desire to get something ported and to hook someone .. that'll work :)

For FBA .. _Really_, specify which; I did a FBA port ages ago; I could just do a dumb-ass post of that, but it wouldn't be right.

To make a bounty, the requirements should be _clear_ -- what sourcebase or version, what expectations -- some simple UI or fancy? USB joypad support or just pandora native controls? windowed or fullscreen? scaling or no? etc etc.

The Spotify one was _not well defined_ (at least when offer was made), and when sebt3 posted a (what appears to be valid) contestant.. theres no good reason _not_ to fess up the $500, since he fulfilled the request. This is why bounties suck -- people forget to make very specific requirements, then it all goes to bad will :) (If you adjusted requirements _After the fact_, that looks like a bait-and-switch.) Does the spotify client work for non-premium.. yes it does; *shrug*. The other side of the coin in -- sebt3 is a valued member of the community whose done thousands of hours work, so do you want to snub him?

He certainly has not been saying anything, he's a very nice fella; but personally, I think you made an offer, you gotta stand by it. Man up :)

<history>Craig -- you still owe me a free pandora for GBAX2007 victory ;) </history>

jeff

Let's drop this before it gets too nasty. If you want more specific requirements, then fine; let's talk requirements!

imho, its a bad precedent to throw money around on emus -- we're talking $100 to $200 so far (wow!); why should anyone port anything, if $$ is on the line if they just wait for it to come up? I always found it distasteful myself, but maybe just me. Still, for desire to get something ported and to hook someone .. that'll work :)

For FBA .. _Really_, specify which; I did a FBA port ages ago; I could just do a dumb-ass post of that, but it wouldn't be right.

To make a bounty, the requirements should be _clear_ -- what sourcebase or version, what expectations -- some simple UI or fancy? USB joypad support or just pandora native controls? windowed or fullscreen? scaling or no? etc etc.

The Spotify one was _not well defined_ (at least when offer was made), and when sebt3 posted a (what appears to be valid) contestant.. theres no good reason _not_ to fess up the $500, since he fulfilled the request. This is why bounties suck -- people forget to make very specific requirements, then it all goes to bad will :) (If you adjusted requirements _After the fact_, that looks like a bait-and-switch.) Does the spotify client work for non-premium.. yes it does; *shrug*. The other side of the coin in -- sebt3 is a valued member of the community whose done thousands of hours work, so do you want to snub him?

He certainly has not been saying anything, he's a very nice fella; but personally, I think you made an offer, you gotta stand by it. Man up :)

<history>Craig -- you still owe me a free pandora for GBAX2007 victory ;) </history>

jeff

Firstly it was $400, not $500. See where things seem to blur randomly? And did you even read what I said? I told him when I was ABLE to try it, I would.

And secondly you have a Pandora, don't you? If you bought it... it begs the question... why when you were entitled to a free one? Didn't we send you a dev unit too, free? You know the dev units cost about $3000 each right?

ENOUGH!

Let's go back on topic.

Let's talk about what we deem necessary for a Final Burn Alpha port. I'd like to hear all of your ideas first.

tut tut ... must I remind people.

arguingontheinternet.jpg

Good idea.

Now let's talk about what exactly we want in a FBA port. Let's hear your ideas, mine have been said in the first post.

First of all I think we need to define what the start point of any development would be.

To reiterate what has already been said, what version? Should the existing GP2X source be used? Should a new port be built from the ground up?

Than from these questions move on to what the endgame of this whole endeavour would be.

Playable at stock speed? More speed or more accuracy? Lots of compatibility or just playing a few games very well?

What I'd like to see is good playability @ 500 MHz, with some games (hopefully SF3) playable with overclocking. I have no idea if this is asking too much, just giving my opinion.

What I'd like to see is good playability @ 500 MHz, with some games (hopefully SF3) playable with overclocking. I have no idea if this is asking too much, just giving my opinion.

There you go. I want to hear other's opinions first, because I myself don't know if I'm asking too much. I will reiterate from the first post;

And if we want something in particular?
That's up for discussion. Of course there are standards, but beggars can't be choosers. This is what I feel is necessary. If you don't feel the same way, say so!

*Latest version (Source is available here.)

*Scaling options similar to those of MAME4ALL

*A usable interface (doesn't need to be fancy)

*Basic things configurable (controls, mainly)

*A green on the scale used on Pandora Wiki

Let's talk about what we deem necessary for a Final Burn Alpha port. I'd like to hear all of your ideas first.

I'm not ponying up, but thought some ideas might help. Here are some possible ideas:

• Specific games you want to work
  • A specific playability speed for certain games might be wise
  • Emulator running at a playable speed without overclocking
  • Perhaps using a specific interface or launcher (though with command-line, we could use any gui launcher, I imagine)
  • Using Pandoras native controls (including nubs?)
  • Support for external joysticks
  • Open source, or source available upon request

• Emulator running at a playable speed without overclocking

Actually, I'd make that one 'running at a playable speed without overclocking to more than X', simply because it may not turn out to be playable at that speed no matter how well it is coded. Case in point: MuPen 64, for which most games require OC'ing to at least 800. Yes, this is not the '64, but hopefully you still see my point.

I thought it worked well on Dingux?

But I only played DonPachi

I would like a good GUI and 80-90% of games to work without overclocking above 800MHz

My 2¢

What the hell are you talking about? Seb3 ported a spotify client which does not work with 90% of spotify accounts (mine included so I can't even try it).
Spotify officially only allow homebrew using their own libspotify (close source, x86 bounded).

Then they have a specific deal with the libdespotify team : only works with premium account.

Do you remember that their free services are ads driven. Doing a client working with free account not displaying the ads will cut spotify revenu stream. Which I'm pretty sure will make the company a bit mad against open-source.

Are you implying that you wanted an unlegal client ?

BTW : when you offered your bounty, you never said it needed to work with your free account. So i guessed you wanted something _legal_ !

EDIT :

Anyhow, I'm quite curious about what seb3 has been saying, I'd like it to be public, because I PM'ed him and said when I got my hands on a premium account I'd try his player and probably pay up anyway.
Beside, our PM, all I said about spotify what public on these boards.

In your PM from more than a month ago, you said me that you'll test within the weekend (as some of your friend would borrow you his premium account). one week later I asked you how have gone the test and I was never replied. so 2 weeks later I bumped the public thread were I got no more reply from you...

Cool it, sebt3, let's bring that matter to another thread.

Also, Alerino, I've got your $10 in.

Specific games you want to work
I'm no expert, but in theory, hasn't all the compatibility work been done already? It's just a matter of optimizing things. This isn't really one of my worries.

A specific playability speed for certain games might be wise
Comparable to MAME4ALL, then. Typically 500Mhz, though not much overclocking is required. I said this;

A green on the scale used on Pandora Wiki

A green is;

Emulators with a green background work very well. A lot of games run great at or close to 500Mhz, though some issues do exist. Little overclocking is required. Compatibility issues are minimum.
MAME4ALL happens to fall under this category.

Emulator running at a playable speed without overclocking
See above.

Perhaps using a specific interface or launcher (though with command-line, we could use any gui launcher, I imagine)
I personally don't give a damn, so long as you can change important things like controls and DIP switches.

Using Pandoras native controls (including nubs?)
The buttons would be pretty much a given. But the nubs? Absolutely! Both MAME versions are sorely lacking in this area; a few games are either unplayable or less fun without analog control.

Support for external joysticks
Would also be nice, but I don't think that I would use it.

Open source, or source available upon request
You can either have Mupen's wide involvement, or you can have little to no risk of theft. Take your pick!

Back