Less Then A Week Until Preorders And No Finished Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxxgp

Website
Visit site
It is less then a week before preorders for the Pandora start and there have been no signs of a finished pandora. Will there be a video of a finished pandora before preorder??? Am I the only one who is nervous that there is about 2 months left and we have not seen the finished product???

I'm a bit worried, but my guess is that the pictures and videos and whatnot will be linked to from the preorder information email that we will receive on Tuesday. Seeing as we have nothing yet, that's what I'm betting on.

Not worried. <_<

They're WONT be video of a finished Pandora, because they haven't made the final injection molded cases for it yet. At least IIRC.
You guys need to put a little more faith in absolute strangers. :(

You won't see a finished pandora because the actual case isn't being manufactured until actual manufacturing starts. We have the prototype, which we've seen, and Craig said they are going to show us a CNC prototype as well. Perhaps then they will assemble the entire thing with the membranes, keys, etc. to allay fears.

We're also waiting for GUI photos/video. We've got until Tuesday, be patient.

the reason they moved the 15th preorder is due to not having supplied enough information

they haven't supplied any additional information so far, so yeah

I'm a little worried

i'm kinda worried, but one of the pinned topics say that the hardware is finished. as for the case....

mazza558 said:
I have a slight suspicion the preorder date will be pushed back a bit more.
Why, because there hasn't been a veritable FLOOD of videos and pictures? Has there ever been with these guys? ;)

Throughout the whole "production" of the damn thing, this is one of the only dates that has been explicitly given. AND even if the release date gets pushed back, why would they pass up an opportunity to get our money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Less than a week until no more pre-order threads. Sadly they will probably be replaced by 50 or more "I just ordered my Pandora when will I get it?" threads.

I am not worried at all. If you have been around this community for a long time you know that Craigix would never intentionally do anything to screw us over.

I'm not saying that unforeseen things will not happen, however, you have to look at it from the stand point that its only a small group of people making this. Companies supplying the pandora may not hold craig and friends in highest priority because they don't have a track record making these things and certain aspects of this process are still new to them. I know they are doing a lot more than I could given the time.

If you are worried, wait a few extra days and see if there is more info. In the end, get a second batch unit if you don't have confidence. It may be a good idea anyways because even well established companies still make mistakes on the first runs. (xbox 360 has giant hardware issues still)

If my money situation doesn't crap on itself I will be preordering one surely.

zxxgp said:
It is less then a week before preorders for the Pandora start and there have been no signs of a finished pandora. Will there be a video of a finished pandora before preorder??? Am I the only one who is nervous that there is about 2 months left and we have not seen the finished product???
Totally agree!

I'm shifting from pre-ordering to waiting until the second batch. To be honest I never pre-ordered anything in my life, so I'm not an expert on this subject.
I have thought of some positive and negative aspects of pre-ordering and I come to the conclusion I will not do it.
This doesn't mean I don't like the project or I don't hope it will be a success. I love the project and hope that Craig and Co will make a fortune and wish them all the luck they can get.
My brainstorm session:

+ Receive the Pandora sooner than the rest, be part of the initial exitement
+ Give some trust and money to the team, so they will be able to continue without having to worry about finances and support.

- Details of pre-ordering still not known, so on the day of pre-ordering there might be unpleasant surprises
- Haven't seen a working prototype yet, so you buy without anyone testing or reviewing it.
- There are only a couple of devs working on Pandora software, not enough to assure a great UI and a lot of emulators. (one of my smaller concerns btw)
- Is there a change there will be mistakes in the hardware nobody thought of and will be changed in the second batch? I think very likely.
- Delays? When one of the major parts of the production will arrive the end of october, how feasible will it be to produce the first batch before christmas? Also very unlikely imo.
- How much influence has Craig on the production schedule of TI? Can TI pull the plug?

Too much uncertainties / questions to pre-order right now. That can change, but I think I can wait until next year. Software will be a lot better, maybe hardware issues from batch one will be fixed.
I'm sure I will buy one whenever it is launched, but for now.. I'll wait and enjoy the show.

People regularly preorder games before the final version is complete, and in essence it's the same thing. I'm not worrying.

I'm not worried about a finished Pandora. I will be worried if its November and still no finished product. I just want a little taste of the OS.

Nobody is ordering anything until they're pretty sure that the units can ship in a reasonable time frame. Maybe that's in five days, and maybe it isn't. After orders are taken, manufacturing problems could push back shipping into December, or even next year. If that possibility is not acceptable to you, do not order from the first batch. There are plenty of people who are willing to take the risk and wait patiently.

If you can't handle waiting and possible delays, then stop reading the boards and come back in six months when everything is sorted out. Your whining and worrying and passive-aggressive threats are not making anything happen faster. All you're doing is annoying the people who actually can get things done.

DisgruntleElf said:
Less than a week until no more pre-order threads. Sadly they will probably be replaced by 50 or more "I just ordered my Pandora when will I get it?" threads.
yeah and 10 of "oh no 50 treads about ive just ordered my pandora when will it come " ^_^

Chip said:
If you can't handle waiting and possible delays, then stop reading the boards and come back in six months when everything is sorted out. Your whining and worrying and passive-aggressive threats are not making anything happen faster. All you're doing is annoying the people who actually can get things done.
I agree. There's no sense in working yourself up over shipping dates and things being ready or not ready.

Although I don't think they're annoying folks that are actually making a difference and getting things done. If they're the ones getting things done, they probably have better things to do with their time to read about people deciding to pre-order or not pre-order. I give the team a lot more credit than getting bogged down b/c they just HAVE to read all of these posts.

DisgruntleElf said:
I expect there to be a lot of "OMG I CAN'T USE PAYPAL NOW I WON'T BE FIRST TO GET ONE!" threads too.

Chip said:
Nobody is ordering anything until they're pretty sure that the units can ship in a reasonable time frame. Maybe that's in five days, and maybe it isn't. After orders are taken, manufacturing problems could push back shipping into December, or even next year. If that possibility is not acceptable to you, do not order from the first batch. There are plenty of people who are willing to take the risk and wait patiently.

So. It's not making anything happen any slower either. Talk about passive-aggressive threats :rolleyes:

Chip said:
There are plenty of people who are willing to take the risk and wait patiently.
I'm sure a lot of people will pre-order because they expect Pandora before Christmas (that has been stated more than once). They will not be waiting very patiently.
So it will be important to be honest about possible delays and only predict launchdates when they are rock solid. Before that Craig should use "we hope to" instead of "we will"

b_o_b said:
- How much influence has Craig on the production schedule of TI? Can TI pull the plug?

Too much uncertainties / questions to pre-order right now. That can change, but I think I can wait until next year. Software will be a lot better, maybe hardware issues from batch one will be fixed.
I'm sure I will buy one whenever it is launched, but for now.. I'll wait and enjoy the show.

There are few reasons for TI to "pull the plug". Strings were pulled to even pitch the sale of the processors at such a low volume at the end of 2007 / beginning of 2008. Their minimum orders are typically in the tens of thousands. Anything less are special orders. Although in the last several months, I think they've reduced or removed this barrier. I don't remember.

That's a pretty good pros / cons list. I think anyone on the fence could use it as their checklist. I bought my gp2x several months after the public launch and am glad some of the software bugs (emulators not the firmware) got worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back