Less Then A Week Until Preorders And No Finished Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.
b_o_b said:
[The loudmouths can jump and scream and make offensive remarks. That will not change this.
I hope we can get back to civilized conversation. Like Fat Agnes said, if you don't like threads like this, don't read them.
My problem is with the loudmouths that jump and scream and make offensive remarks all over what once was a rather fun forum. By now, I'm havng difficulties to actually find any thread anywhere that isn't filled with spoiled crybabies going "I want this, I demand that, I request that I become appointed as PR manager with craig 'coz he's incompetent with these thnigs (How rich is that?!?)" Here, it is about the pandora, on the regular side of the forums it's about the wiz ("Wherewherewhere can i preorder but I don't want to preorder if it isnt handdelivered to me by a 18 yo virgin i need a GUARANTTEEE that I can surf the web on my 2 inch screen omfgthisllkickthePANDORAASS craig, perhaps gph doesnät like you anymore omg").

Where did the grownups go?

Man, I miss TelcoLou. There's nothing wrong here that the feces- and bloodencrusted corpse of GG Allin couldnt fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hands up anyone who is confusing Launch Date with Preorder Date ?

[Edit]
<--- these hands aren't 'up' - they're 'jazz' !! ;)
[/edit]

Now take that hand and slap yourselves for being impatient and silly.

The hardware prototypes have been shown to be working in videos.
There have been prototypes of the controls.
There have been prototypes of the case.
[cardboard models ARE prototypes]

Have some patience, don't expect hourly updates on every feature added or bug squashed and don't preorder if you aren't sure.

I have every faith in Craig, ED, etc that they're doing all they can to get this done as quickly as they can

Personally I'd be interested in seeing a video of the device booting, the output of dmesg just after boot, that sort of thing. As we've seen videos of games running, and using the display, this sort of thing should be as easy as taking a video of the boot sequence and copy and pasting the dmesg output to the forum.

Pretty please! Whet the appetites of those of us who would like to hack the hardware/software rather than use the games emulators. :)

Kyosys said:
me too! Though I _WOULD_ like to see that GUI, but either way, I'm with 'em!
The GUI is going to be a Pandora-centric version of GMenu(2X) Basically it will take advantage of the different screen size(I've already seen Ryo add new wallpaper and other images for Pandora support) It will support the touch screen. I do suspect it will support the keyboard and remove the virtual keyboards.

We have also drafted up a todo list and I'm working on some of the items... they are general to GMenu rather than specific to the Pandora version though.

Anyway, basically to see the GUI, just looks at your GP2X :) and just think "what if it were wider, etc" :)

PokeParadox said:
Kyosys said:
me too! Though I _WOULD_ like to see that GUI, but either way, I'm with 'em!
The GUI is going to be a Pandora-centric version of GMenu(2X) Basically it will take advantage of the different screen size(I've already seen Ryo add new wallpaper and other images for Pandora support) It will support the touch screen. I do suspect it will support the keyboard and remove the virtual keyboards.

We have also drafted up a todo list and I'm working on some of the items... they are general to GMenu rather than specific to the Pandora version though.

Anyway, basically to see the GUI, just looks at your GP2X :) and just think "what if it were wider, etc" :)

I know, but unfortunately I never got around to getting a GP2X.

edit: also, thanks notaz!

chris_r said:
Thanks for this, it's quite interesting. I see there's some modules like cdc_ether in there which I am guessing are for USB modems.
Well, some USB cable modems, and also USB->Ethernet adaptors.

Kyosys said:
PokeParadox said:
I know, but unfortunately I never got around to getting a GP2X.

Well this is the best I can do for now... it's not the standard skin for GMenu2X but it does show off the main features... and no I didn't make the video.
GMenu2X Liquido Skin on YouTube

100% with what Moxie said.

As a lurker it's been harder and harder to visit the forum sifting through all the childish 'i want i want' posts to get to anything of interest. Wouldn't mind, but even most of the reasonable questions people are asking have been answered time and time again. If you're able to install an emulator and get it running, I'm sure you can use a search function. Also, how many videos of emulators running do you really need to see? Wouldn't you be happier with significant videos every now and then rather than a torrent of the same thing over and over from different angles on different devs coffee tables?

Also, if people really are in a panic about there not being enough info before pre-order. Just wait until other people start getting their pandoras and you can see/hear exactly what you're getting.

Worst case scenario, all 3000 sell out. Well you know what? If all 3000 sell out, I have a funny feeling Craig and Co. will make some more.

Up until recently I was in the boat of those people who were thinking 'omfg what if the Pandora pre-order sells out really quick etc', but now, particularly in the current absence of finished, working prototypes, I don't think that will be the case. Unlike those of us here who are committed to buying one - finished unit video or not - people from other places who have otherwise had varying levels of interest may not be as ready to stump up $330 on something which they have not seen fully finished and running in a video.

Now I know that Craigix/MWeston/Evildragon and co aren't Sony/Nintendo, and Craig has indeed explained that getting a prototype unit finished and running is rather expensive, hence he's been holding off as long as possible. But, I think if he wants to get pre-orders moving a bit quicker, maybe it would be in his best interests to get a finished prototype together and make a video or two of it as soon as he's humanly able to do so.

NOTE I AM NOT DEMANDING ANYTHING FROM CRAIG AND CO. I am just saying, that videos of a finished, working prototype (when he can get one) will get those who are interested, but would otherwise like to see a working unit first, as well as possibly wow others into buying one and get others from other boards/who are linked to videos of it/etc. Otherwise, that first 3000 may take a while to sell.

PokeParadox said:
Well this is the best I can do for now... it's not the standard skin for GMenu2X but it does show off the main features... and no I didn't make the video.
GMenu2X Liquido Skin on YouTube

Good enough for me. After all, I'm interested in content, not form.

Moxie: I have read some threads but I don't think there is a lot of loud mouthing from the ones with some criticism or questions. Could be there are a few, but I think the most aggressive reactions (and frankly speaking, imo you're one of them) are from overly sensitive Craig + Co defenders.
Really I also believe in Pandora but I don't think Craig is the Messiah. If he tells me he can walk over water, I'd like to have some prove.
Craig doesn't need this negative help, he is a businessman for years and will do what he thinks is best for his company. Sometimes I will agree, and sometimes I don't.
I think I (and others) have the right to ask every question we like and if we cross any line, there is a ban waiting for us.

That will not happen though, because the moderators are doing a great job. I have seen them close a lot of nonsense threads that didn't deserve a long life.
This thread still lives and like it or not, apparently has the right to exist.

Well, the point of pre-orders is that they are made before the finished product is available. Otherwise, it is called "order", without the pre-bit. Whidh I'm sure most people understand, but...heck, the very title of this thread says it all. Preorders in a week and noone has still seen the finished product? Who is worried? Considering that the actual time when the finished product ought to be available is still two months off, abouts, why should anyone be worried at all? Over what?

...unless, as beforesaid, you mix up "preorder date" with "launch date".

I do believe I read a quote from one of the team somewhere that doing an oe-off shell in the same way as the finished product would cost in the region of $5000, and that's why they cancelled it for EDs appearance in Leipzig (that does not, in my experience, sound like an unrealistic quote). Yes, there would possibly be more preorders if we saw a video of a finished machine. Do you think that would bring in an increase in orders worth $5000, orders that would not have come in later? Considering, mind, that we will get our fill of videos of the finished machine eventually, once the machine is, actually, finished. Would it be defendable to spend $5000 on a pototype shell at this time, when I'd imagine one would want to keep funds in reserve to have money to throw at last-minute troubles? Would it be defendable to spend the time ordering, building, and filming a prototype, considering the amount of other stuff that needs to be done?

There is, as someone else observed, an assumption here, that says that the team somehow has loads of information that they could present to us, and that they out of pure stinginess has decided not to tell us. That is a stupid assumption. Why would Craig not give us all the info he has? And why would chip, squidge et al lie to us, when they answer again and again that they're telling us what happens as soon as anything of interest happens?

All these threads either are plain stupid (re the title of this thread) or assume that Craig, ED and the rest ate in some secret conspiracy to actually prevent people from buying the product. Which is also stupid. Most of them also depend on the thread starters not being able to read, since the answers usually have been given again and again. Which might point to stupid, again, especially since starting a thread when you can't read and understand the answers in it won't help the least bit.

I want less of the stupid, and more of the intelligent. Please.

Good post Moxie, keep it up :)

I don't think they lie, but it is evident they don't tell us everything. Squidge even admitted that in this thread.
Also it is common sense, when a vital part in the production process only arrives the end of October it seems to me a pretty daunting task to ship in November. Also Squidge told there is still a lot of software to do.
Why shouldn't I ask Craig if these issues will have some impact on the shipment date? I'm not demanding a November shipment, I'm just asking if it is still feasible.

b_o_b said:
Moxie: I have read some threads but I don't think there is a lot of loud mouthing from the ones with some criticism or questions. Could be there are a few, but I think the most aggressive reactions (and frankly speaking, imo you're one of them) are from overly sensitive Craig + Co defenders.
You can't have been reading a lot of "agressive reactions" from me, since I haven't (as far as I remember) said anything on this subject up until yesterday, when it all finally got a bit too much for me. And if you think I "defend Craig+co", you need to read again. I don't believe Craig to walk on water (I don't think he's promised that, either).

My point, such as it is, is very simple: It is the business of Craig and co how they choose to divide their time between making the actual machine, making videos and answering forum questions - That's their business decision. It is up to us, as customers, to decide whether the info we've gotten from Craig et al is enough for us to risk a preorder. And until money has changed hands and the launch date has come, nobody is in the position to make demands or tell Craig and co what they "need" to do. That can't be a difficult point to grasp now, can it? And in what way is this particularily "defeinding" anything except possibly the boards and my own sanity?

b_o_b said:
I don't think they lie, but it is evident they don't tell us everything. Squidge even admitted that in this thread.
What, pray tell, are they not tellng that they could tell? I can't be bothered to go through the thread backwards right now, but if I remember correctly, the qoute was something like "We tell you all we know, although it is possible craig knows stuff he isn't able to tell, yet"?

b_o_b said:
Why shouldn't I ask Craig if these issues will have some impact on the shipment date? I'm not demanding a November shipment, I'm just asking if it is still feasible.
I don't think that is an unreasonable question, no. That isn't what I'm talking about, either. I seem to remember that it is already answered, though, in a "Well, if anything changes that, we'll tell you" way, no?

I think the problem this forum currently has is the viral-marketing-machinery beeing already highly active, while the product itself isn't ready for it, yet.
People unabled to use the forum-search/google/faq/wiki is a disease spread over the whole internet and as this forum gets a lot of attention by people that have not been part of the community in the past, we are suffering from hundrets of multiple-asked-question-threads. I can understand why people think, this is annoying - on both sides.

About the news-frustration: I guess the frustration is caused by the fact, that the probably most impressive thing we will see for a while on pandora - psx-emulation - was demonstrated pretty long ago and very fast after the dev-boards were shipped. People hoped for something similar impressive, but the team is - for a reason - trying to accomplish a complete firmware right now, so nothing impressive will be shown until the first batch of real pandoras get shipped to people and a much bigger group of devs have the time to work on risky projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back