Lemonboy (Super/color Gameboy Emu)

chickendung said:
What about porting Goomba Color? I tried running it with gpsp, but it didn't work. The source code is here, and from what I've heard it's pretty good.
It would require more work than its worth. A port from a windows to linux would probably be easier.
Ive already ported 4 emu's for gb/gbc (if you count vanilla gnuboy) it would be better to keep working on one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
chickendung said:
What about porting Goomba Color? I tried running it with gpsp, but it didn't work. The source code is here, and from what I've heard it's pretty good.
It would require more work than its worth. A port from a windows to linux would probably be easier.
Ive already ported 4 emu's for gb/gbc (if you count vanilla gnuboy) it would be better to keep working on one of those.
Maybe you could ask Rlyeh for the source for his GB emu for the GP32. That one was perfect including sound and it ran on a 133 MHz ARM. If that was ported you could probably UNDERCLOCK quite a bit and have it run perfect.

DaveC said:
Maybe you could ask Rlyeh for the source for his GB emu for the GP32. That one was perfect including sound and it ran on a 133 MHz ARM. If that was ported you could probably UNDERCLOCK quite a bit and have it run perfect.

Yes, a 133MHz GP32 is like a 400MHz Wiz ;D

Exophase said:
DaveC said:

Yes, a 133MHz GP32 is like a 400MHz Wiz ;D

Is it? I ask that as a serious question as I don't know the specifics of speeds. I do know that the GP32 was quite primitive in architecture though.

DaveC said:
Is it? I ask that as a serious question as I don't know the specifics of speeds. I do know that the GP32 was quite primitive in architecture though.

I doubt it's that bad, but it sure feels that way sometimes. The basic CPU architecture of the Wiz is almost the same as the GP32 (in terms of pipeline, cache, writeback buffer, things like that), it just adds some instructions that aren't that heavily used. The other sticking point is the memory bus speed which is basically the same on both platforms as far as I'm aware. But I don't really know why Wiz is as slow as it is (at least for me). I think that some aspects of the memory subsystem were misdesigned, or maybe there are gremlins in our Wizes.

Any chance of releasing an updated version for the GP2X?

The last version for the GP2X has a few really minor issues, like the SRAM saving. (Also, adding any improvements made in the Wiz version if applicable.) ;)

DaveC, the source code of the Rlyeh's gameboy emulator is out there... and it is the same source than lemonboy's: gnuboy :) The problems of the Wiz version are hardly of gnuboy itself since it works right on many, many platforms. Including GP32 and Gp2x. It seems that the actual problem is in the interface from lemonboy to the Wiz hardware. Pickle did a wonderful work with video timings, and maybe the next step is solving the hardware timer issue (see http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48761-highspeed-timercounter/) Besides, keep in mind that Lemonboy includes additional videomodes that need a way more powerful CPU than the one on GP32.

Manjuu, I compiled a version for Gp2x that is exactly on track with the Wiz version. According to the complains, it works better on Gp2x than on Wiz. I can warrant it, since I've just gone all the way through Pokémon Gold with the Gp2x version :D It was announced on gp32spain, but it never hit the news: http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=65603

BTW: the SRAM bug was solved a year ago, as soon as I noticed, but I forgot to publish an updated version. I'm really, really sorry :(

Hopefully the timing and stretching issues can be worked out, because at present the emulator to me isn't very playable. With sound off, without stretching, maybe... but...

xD It emulates the SNES and neogeo, but can't manage Gameboy.

Oh, the irony.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Hopefully the timing and stretching issues can be worked out, because at present the emulator to me isn't very playable. With sound off, without stretching, maybe... but...

xD It emulates the SNES and neogeo, but can't manage Gameboy.

Oh, the irony.

Yeah, it's sad. Gameboy is great. Even a Nintendo DS can run a gameboy emulator at full speed. Perhaps I can talk the Lameboy developer into making a port for the Wiz.

There are some great gameboy and gameboy color emulators for windows mobile. Even on a 200mhz arm processor they ran perfect and with sound. Maybe one of those could be ported? I don't know if any are open source, but some are freeware, so the author might be will to port it or at least share the code with somebody who can port it.

I dont think you guys are getting it, lemonboy is not slow and the wiz can do gameboy emulation fine, its the linux timing thats screwed up. I came up with a work around using the vsync signal to get 60 fps, the binary is on pickle.gp2x.de.
The sound is messed up but I think it because the wiz doesnt handle 8 sound bit well, if at all. I tried doing conversions to 16 bit, but it only seems to work well for certain games.
gngb and vba are also on my ftp spot but they dont have frontends (besides using gmenu)

Pickle said:
I dont think you guys are getting it, lemonboy is not slow and the wiz can do gameboy emulation fine, its the linux timing thats screwed up. I came up with a work around using the vsync signal to get 60 fps, the binary is on pickle.gp2x.de.
The sound is messed up but I think it because the wiz doesnt handle 8 sound bit well, if at all. I tried doing conversions to 16 bit, but it only seems to work well for certain games.
gngb and vba are also on my ftp spot but they dont have frontends (besides using gmenu)
The 8-bit sound thing sounds possible but then there are a boatload of old 8-bit sound MAME games (Pac-Man etc), NES etc that sound perfect.

Maybe GNuboy code just don't like the way the Wiz works or something.

Back