Lemonboy2X Updated

I agree with Rivroner, I prefer the interpolation setting out of all the display options, but could a frame be used on this setting as on the normal setting?
Different settings for .gb & .gbc roms would be nice also (eg. the Game Boy Colour frame for .gbc roms & the B & W Game Boy frame for .gb games etc.)
The sound seems fine to me, excellent work. :)
Cheers, Neil

The volume bar still isn't quite right though, it starts off at about 100, when you turn it down it goes quiet at about 75ish, turn it all the way down to zero then turn it back up and you can hear it again at about 10ish, but you need to turn it all the way to 100 to get it up to maximum???

Neil L said:
I agree with Rivroner, I prefer the interpolation setting out of all the display options, but could a frame be used on this setting as on the normal setting?
Different settings for .gb & .gbc roms would be nice also (eg. the Game Boy Colour frame for .gbc roms & the B & W Game Boy frame for .gb games etc.)
Cheers, Neil

The volume bar still isn't quite right though, it starts off at about 100, when you turn it down it goes quiet at about 75ish, turn it all the way down to zero then turn it back up and you can hear it again at about 10ish, but you need to turn it all the way to 100 to get it up to maximum???

Theres not a real good way to do the border in interpol mode, it could be done but it would be pretty. Did you ever see the double interpol mode I had in the vsync version? I can easily add that again if some wants it.
Yeah the volume number you see isnt the volume number actually used, when i get time I can match them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice port the sound is much better now. There is a sound lag that can be a bit weird, when you shoot you don't hear the shot until later. Maybe that could be minimized?

There could be an overclock option too, many games can have chuggy scrolling.

Also why in GBC do black backgrounds look dark grey? On an OLED they should be totally black. For some reason someone made black not black, almost like you are playing on a low contrast LCD. Could this be fixed?

Good work though now GB is decent on the Wiz.

DaveC, in gameboy colors game if you set the palette to colorfull the black is totally black and the colors are perfect. :)

In GB games i use contrasted palette at most games.

I dont´know why but with default palette the black color is not black.

Juanvc is working on a code to include fullscreen aspect ratio in this emulator and ,and something like 53x scale in GP2X, in a few days is posible you will have the code Pickle. :)

And k-teto is back and is working in this Game Boy emulator again. :)

Good news :)

Rivroner said:
Juanvc is working on a code to include fullscreen aspect ratio

Oh, it is only a replacement for the hardware scaled mode that we enjoyed in the Gp2x. Not a big deal, and of course nothing comparable to the wonderful job that Pickle made with the sound system. I still have to research how he fixed sound after all those unsuccessful attempts that lots of people did, including me :)

Pickle said:
Neil L said:
Cheers, Neil

Theres not a real good way to do the border in interpol mode, it could be done but it would be pretty. Did you ever see the double interpol mode I had in the vsync version? I can easily add that again if some wants it.
Yeah the volume number you see isnt the volume number actually used, when i get time I can match them up.

I just tried the double interpolation mode on the old vsync version, it looks nice but it doesn't fit in the screen as there's black bars on the top and bottom. A Scale2X deformed interpolation would be nice. (If it could be done)
Thanks for your promise to fix the volume bar problem and can seperate settings be used for .gb & .gbc roms be used? (As mentioned above, if not I'll just install Lemonboy twice on my SD card, one for B&W games and one for colour)
Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
I just tried the double interpolation mode on the old vsync version, it looks nice but it doesn't fit in the screen as there's black bars on the top and bottom. A Scale2X deformed interpolation would be nice. (If it could be done)
Thanks for your promise to fix the volume bar problem and can seperate settings be used for .gb & .gbc roms be used? (As mentioned above, if not I'll just install Lemonboy twice on my SD card, one for B&W games and one for colour)
Cheers, Neil

Yeah from your description i remembered, that interpolation code was taken from gpsp. It doesnt quite interpolate to the size of the entire screen. But maybe something could be done where the top and bottom are interpolated separately and then copied into place for the final screen. Although im not sure what the speed hit would be to do it.

Other than the palette color is there any setting that needs to be different? Why not make colorful a forced default for gbc, would anyone really want to use something else?
If not, another item to select a palette for gbc's could be added.

Rivroner said:
DaveC, in gameboy colors game if you set the palette to colorfull the black is totally black and the colors are perfect. :)

In GB games i use contrasted palette at most games.

I dont´know why but with default palette the black color is not black.

Juanvc is working on a code to include fullscreen aspect ratio in this emulator and ,and something like 53x scale in GP2X, in a few days is posible you will have the code Pickle. :)

And k-teto is back and is working in this Game Boy emulator again. :)

Good news :)

Yeah I tried that but it seems that it adds too much contrast and modifies the colors. The default mode would be OK if black could be changed to really be black.

DaveC said:
Yeah I tried that but it seems that it adds too much contrast and modifies the colors. The default mode would be OK if black could be changed to really be black.

Edit:

Sorry your talking about the black in color...its apparent black is the sum of red, green, blue. If you look at default that would make it not fully black. Where as the colorful has the colors evenly split.
I will take a look at how these palette's are used and see if black can set/forced.

DaveC said:

Actually, "colorful" removes filtering and shows the real colors. But the old gameboy screen is not as good as current screens to show colors, since it washed up colors and removed contrast. Some game designers took into account the effects of the old screen when coding games, and then coded their games with extra contrast and color to make them nicer on the gameboy screen. For example, the GBC didn't show black as black. The game where this effect is more noticeable is "Tales of Phantasia" for GBA: it has awful colors when viewed in modern emulators, but they are really nice on a real GBA screen.

Filtering games to get colors as shown on a GBC (and not as coded by their designers, you see) is not possible. Lemonboy includes simple RGB filters that try their best, but keep in mind that it is just not possible to get the colors of the GBC without a GBC screen.

Try this palette:

Code:
set colorfilter 1
set red   195  25   0  20
set green  25 170  25  20
set blue   25  60 125  20

Copy in notepad/any-other-editor and save in the directory "palettes" as "toblack" or something similar. It will use "very dark gray" when the game asks for black, but will modify other colors as well. They shouldn't be as saturated as in "colorful", thought. If you want real black change "20" for "0" in the last column of the three lines, but expect very saturated colors.

I spent some time with the interpolation modes.
I brought back the doublw interpolation mode, but this time I made so it can fill the entire height of the screen. To do this though it requires 3 passes though the scaling code. It takes at least 600 Mhz to run at full speed. The other negative is that the secong scaling puts the image at bit over 240, so I had to remove some lines.
One good thing I found the scalar code can be run at 144 rows, so theres some time saved there for both regular and double interpolation modes.
I also added more overclock options.

I have a little more to add and I will put up a test version.

Pickle said:
I spent some time with the interpolation modes.
I brought back the doublw interpolation mode, but this time I made so it can fill the entire height of the screen. To do this though it requires 3 passes though the scaling code. It takes at least 600 Mhz to run at full speed. The other negative is that the secong scaling puts the image at bit over 240, so I had to remove some lines.
One good thing I found the scalar code can be run at 144 rows, so theres some time saved there for both regular and double interpolation modes.
I also added more overclock options.

I have a little more to add and I will put up a test version.
Great to hear! How is the sound delay issue coming along?

Excellent news!
Does this mean overclocking will be available in the new version?
Will the Colour Gameboy/Gameboy Advance/Super Gameboy/Super Gameboy 2 option ever be usable? (If not could the GBA/Super Gameboy/SGB border options be removed?)
Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
Excellent news!
Does this mean overclocking will be available in the new version?
Will the Colour Gameboy/Gameboy Advance/Super Gameboy/Super Gameboy 2 option ever be usable? (If not could the GBA/Super Gameboy/SGB border options be removed?)
Cheers, Neil

Color/GBA modes makes sense, since it seems that some games have differences when running on a GBA. For example, Oracle of seasons. SGB is usable in some games (Donkey Kong Land) and even if it cannot be used to play, it is certainly useful to get lots of personalized borders (SGB1 and SGB2 have different border, for example, in Tetris). Furthermore, fixing SGB shouldn't be as painful as fixing sound :) Most of the code is there, but there is a problem with the sprite palette: I can't understand who creates this palette, and then it is empty at the moment. Anyway, there is a switch in the Makefile to compile Lemonboy without SGB support.

Pickle, if you are interested, I've just uploaded a version in gp32spain that includes a replica of hardware fullscreen modes and solves a couple of bugs. Besides, I tried to give a bit of order to the code. See: http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showpost.php?p=1002939&postcount=96

Interesting things in this version:

- All wiz code is in sys/wiz/. Let sys/gp2x/ for the gp2x stuff. That means that sys/wiz/wiz.c holds all the video code for wiz, sys/wiz/sound.c has the sound and sound.c is the original file form gnuboy that is no longer used.
- Compile only with Makefile.wiz. Makefile is for the PC version and Makefile.gp2x for the Gp2x.

These things let us maintain three versions (PC, Gp2x and Wiz) and let an easy porting to another machine in the future (Pandora?) Besides, this version:

- Solves a couple of bugs, especially in supergb.c and menu.c. This should be done in your version as well!
- Hardware fullscreen modes (w and w/o ratio) that worked on Gp2x are emulated in software on wiz. See sys/wiz/wiz.c#vid_begin()
- But it introduces other known bugs: libiconv.so.2 is not included (just copy from old version), the screen is not blancked in some modes after the menu is shown and rolling the video scaling option in the options menu has a buffer overflow that should be very easy to identify.

I'd be a bit careful with the border - a few hours of the same border will burn-in the OLED.

EvilDragon said:
I'd be a bit careful with the border - a few hours of the same border will burn-in the OLED.
So, there are more problems with the OLED than we thought...

EDIT: I wouldn't download Juanvvc's version. I'm having a lot of graphical glitches, plus scale2x deformed doesn't work. Sound hasn't been fixed either.

chickendung said:
EvilDragon said:
So, there are more problems with the OLED than we thought...

EDIT: I wouldn't download Juanvvc's version. I'm having a lot of graphical glitches, plus scale2x deformed doesn't work. Sound hasn't been fixed either.

Not really a problem, that's normal for OLEDs... but usually, you never have a static picture for a while on the WIZ ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tests, chickendung. So, users, do not install my version. Coders, if you are interested in something like the Gp2x fullscreen modes, look in sys/wiz/wiz.c#vid_begin()

Back