Lemonboy (Super/color Gameboy Emu)

Hi Pickle, this is only to give thanks for the emulator Lemonboy you're doing, and all the other things we're doing to Wiz, I love them.
Greetings ;) .

eolpxw said:
Hi Pickle, this is only to give thanks for the emulator Lemonboy you're doing, and all the other things we're doing to Wiz, I love them.
Greetings ;) .

Thanks. Glad you enjoy them.

Ive got very nice sound with gngb now :) I think something is goofed with SDL and 8 bit sound. I had to do upconversion to 16 bit again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a way for a while... but woah! Now I can play Pokemon G/S on my wiz! Pickle can I just give you one big thanks rather than praising you in every single topic/project/port you've done? It's gonna take me a hell of alot of time otherwise :p

ok gngb is up

pickle.gp2x.de/gngb.zip

I really like this emu, ive compressed the filters to fit, not the prettiest but better than native size i think.

dpad,menu,select,a,x : gameboy controls
enter menu/enter: shoulder right
exit menu/escape: shoulder left
volume control: volume buttons
quit emu: b+y+voldown+volup

Ive also provided a example gmenu entry so gmenu can be used as a frontend like with visualboyadvance.

Pickle said:
ok gngb is up

pickle.gp2x.de/gngb.zip

I really like this emu, ive compressed the filters to fit, not the prettiest but better than native size i think.

dpad,menu,select,a,x : gameboy controls
enter menu/enter: shoulder right
exit menu/escape: shoulder left
volume control: volume buttons
quit emu: b+y+voldown+volup

Ive also provided a example gmenu entry so gmenu can be used as a frontend like with visualboyadvance.
nice! :)
gngb is actually an old project of my brother. I've write the sound part and the frameskip code however. I'm happy to see that it work ok on wiz, on the gp2x it was too slow. gngb should have a good compatibility but is not as optimized as gnuboy. Is it fullspeed?

pepone said:
nice! :)
gngb is actually an old project of my brother. I've write the sound part and the frameskip code however. I'm happy to see that it work ok on wiz, on the gp2x it was too slow. gngb should have a good compatibility but is not as optimized as gnuboy. Is it fullspeed?

Hah, thats funny.
Im surprised it wouldnt run on the gp2x. On the wiz with no scaling i get 60 fps, it goes down with scaling, but a little overclock should fix it.

Edit: A little more detail the original gameboy run at fullspeed, the color stuff is much slower.

Update: Just ran VBA on the pandora, runs fullspeed with filtering. Ive tried gb and gbc stuff. I will try some gba stuff later.

Pickle said:
Hah, thats funny.
Im surprised it wouldnt run on the gp2x. On the wiz with no scaling i get 60 fps, it goes down with scaling, but a little overclock should fix it.

Edit: A little more detail the original gameboy run at fullspeed, the color stuff is much slower.

Update: Just ran VBA on the pandora, runs fullspeed with filtering. Ive tried gb and gbc stuff. I will try some gba stuff later.

Hey Pickle, if I want to run gngb do I HAVE to have gmenu2x running? I only ask because there is no gpe file included, and I haven't yet been able to get gmenu2x running on my Wiz.

Pickle said:

Thats great to hear! It would be great to play Golden Sun again on the pandora :)

punkrockserfer said:
Hey Pickle, if I want to run gngb do I HAVE to have gmenu2x running? I only ask because there is no gpe file included, and I haven't yet been able to get gmenu2x running on my Wiz.

Its probably the best way at the moment. Did you get the latest version of gmenu2x? I just recently updated the zip since I forgot some of the shared libs needed.
The only other way is to write a bash script for each rom.

Pickle said:
Its probably the best way at the moment. Did you get the latest version of gmenu2x? I just recently updated the zip since I forgot some of the shared libs needed.

No I used the initial version that was uploaded to the archive. I'll give the updated version a shot then, as I was interested in gmenu anyway. :) Thanks!

Pickle said:

Ok I tried to run gmenu2x (on FW 1.1.0) and it loads now, but it freezes. I can't access any of the menues. I saw something similar to this on the forums here with other users. So since Gmenu appears to be unusable right now, are gngb and vba unusable as well? I know you said I could write a batch script for each rom, but other than that, those emulators are unusable for now correct?

I would not rely on Gmenu2X to make these emus run. Gmenu 2x is basically un-useable due to GPHs lack of making the menu re-load. Gmenu is painfully slow to load (seems to take an extra 15 seconds or so to load, much slower than on GP2X for some reason) and then after all of that waiting you can only use it once. Because of this I doubt anyone is really using it.

Maybe a much better option would be to use one of those front ends like the one used in Capex or something.

DaveC said:
I would not rely on Gmenu2X to make these emus run. Gmenu 2x is basically un-useable due to GPHs lack of making the menu re-load. Gmenu is painfully slow to load (seems to take an extra 15 seconds or so to load, much slower than on GP2X for some reason) and then after all of that waiting you can only use it once. Because of this I doubt anyone is really using it.

Maybe a much better option would be to use one of those front ends like the one used in Capex or something.

Well gmenu2x is the only option unless you like writing shell scripts for each rom. Im trying to get gph to fix the reload issue, we just have to see. Of course you right a builtin menu is ideal, but I dont have that right now. I ported this emu's to see if there was a better gameboy emulation out there and to give us more options.

I have a new lemonboy beta with a possible fix for the timing issue. Im using the vsync info that exophase published. This is a test only for those that know gameboy timing down pat.
Theres a new parameter setting for the number of clocks per horzontial line, this number will effect the rate at which the screen is updated. The key is finding a number that gives 60 fps.
I found 315 gave me 60 fps my wiz, but it expected this could change with firmware. So this is the instructions for finding the number:
1. Set the clock to highest 550 and turn fps to be on
2. Choose a game that isnt too tough, i used super mario land 1
3. Start the game and give a couple seconds and record the fps given
4. If the number is greater than 60 increase the Vsync Clock count (press right)
5. If the number is less than 60 decrease the Vsync Clock count (press left)
6. Once you have the right number save global options (you can lower the clockspeed too, 400 Mhz seems good, but some games can go to 300)

Please report back the number you find, if a common number is found I can update for the release version. Ive also made minor changes, like clearing up the screen in interpolation mode and I added a new double interpolation mode, but it isnt too great. I also made some small sound changes.

File is at pickle.gp2x.de/lemonboy-wiz.zip

Pickle said:
Well gmenu2x is the only option unless you like writing shell scripts for each rom. Im trying to get gph to fix the reload issue, we just have to see. Of course you right a builtin menu is ideal, but I dont have that right now. I ported this emu's to see if there was a better gameboy emulation out there and to give us more options.

I have a new lemonboy beta with a possible fix for the timing issue. Im using the vsync info that exophase published. This is a test only for those that know gameboy timing down pat.
Theres a new parameter setting for the number of clocks per horzontial line, this number will effect the rate at which the screen is updated. The key is finding a number that gives 60 fps.
I found 315 gave me 60 fps my wiz, but it expected this could change with firmware. So this is the instructions for finding the number:
1. Set the clock to highest 550 and turn fps to be on
2. Choose a game that isnt too tough, i used super mario land 1
3. Start the game and give a couple seconds and record the fps given
4. If the number is greater than 60 increase the Vsync Clock count (press right)
5. If the number is less than 60 decrease the Vsync Clock count (press left)
6. Once you have the right number save global options (you can lower the clockspeed too, 400 Mhz seems good, but some games can go to 300)

Please report back the number you find, if a common number is found I can update for the release version. Ive also made minor changes, like clearing up the screen in interpolation mode and I added a new double interpolation mode, but it isnt too great. I also made some small sound changes.

File is at pickle.gp2x.de/lemonboy-wiz.zip

I downloaded the file in order to test it, and while I do notice an improvement in the sound (it sounds much less distorted), I am unable to get the FPS to show. I set it in the menu to Show FPS, and nothing happens. Also, I can't figure out how it is that you change the Vsync clock count. I know it says to "press right" and "press left", but under what option? The menu looks exactly the same as before. I don't see any vsync option.

punkrockserfer said:
I am unable to get the FPS to show.

I don't know if Pickle finally solved the system messages issue, but in the SDL version (not in minimal) they have a wrong vertical offset in some video modes. Try to use other video mode.

juanvvc said:
punkrockserfer said:
I am unable to get the FPS to show.

I don't know if Pickle finally solved the system messages issue, but in the SDL version (not in minimal) they have a wrong vertical offset in some video modes. Try to use other video mode.

The messages should work, sounds like an old version. The new option should show up just below the clock setting. Just to be sure i replaced the zip again.
Remember get it from pickle.gp2x.de/lemonboy-wiz.zip

Update: I made some more sound changes, I think this version is ok. I also added a scaler mode juanvvc came up with, its called scale2x aspect ratio.

I've just tested it and a vsync clock of 470 gave me 60 fps at Super Mario Brothers Deluxe. Thank you very much Pickle!

Jan-Nik said:
I've just tested it and a vsync clock of 470 gave me 60 fps at Super Mario Brothers Deluxe. Thank you very much Pickle!

nice i think thats about the number exophase gave in the other thread, 487 I think, so if wanted you to use it that might be more accurate.
Which firmware are you using?

Pickle said:
nice i think thats about the number exophase gave in the other thread, 487 I think, so if wanted you to use it that might be more accurate.

Alright Pickle, I redownloaded from ur archive and this version did have the vsync options and such. (FYI I KNOW I did download from your archive before as well, but for some reason the vsync option wasn't there. Whatever. Maybe I messed up some other way.) Anyway, I just tested with my Wiz (FW 1.1.0) and tried Super Mario Land 1 @ 550 mhz. The Vsync that works right for me is 492.

I also tested Super Mario Land 2 at this setting and I averaged 60 fps.

Edit: I just tested Legend of Zelda: Oracle of the Ages and 492 gives a fps average of about 58 or 59. Then again, it is color, so I'm not sure if that affects it at all...

Hope any of that info is helpful.

Pickle said:
Jan-Nik said:

Back