Latest Build News

@miseryguts
Afaics, they are sending them out in order number/time order. Some might have reordered too late back then and so slid down some places in the queue.

:ph34r: , kind of.

Some confusion here, eh?

Well, except for the one-nubbers (where it was possible to jump the queue) and three units for blogs, the Pandoras have always gone out in the order they had been ordered.

The numbers that are NOT ordered are the serial numbers. Except for the very first ones, they are completely random (well, the first 1000 cases will have a number from 1 to 1000, but that's about it).

To emphasise that randomness, my new one is from the recent newly-built 100 units, and its number is 171. :p My previous ones were 426 and 246 (in that order).

I seem to recall that Craig said that only the first 100 have sequential serial numbers, although I don't have the quote to hand right now. :p

EvilDragon said:
Some confusion here, eh?

Well, except for the one-nubbers (where it was possible to jump the queue) and three units for blogs, the Pandoras have always gone out in the order they had been ordered.

The numbers that are NOT ordered are the serial numbers. Except for the very first ones, they are completely random (well, the first 1000 cases will have a number from 1 to 1000, but that's about it).

"I can see clearly now the rain has gone"

Thanks for the clarification ED.

Last edited by a moderator:
DynaMight said:
So while we're on it. Whats the current update with the cases?

Nothing, the case situation was over in April. There is nothing more to happen there, we decided to order 7000 last month. 1500 are coming by UPS the rest by boat (4-5 weeks).

The 1500 are due here next week sometime (well, due in to customs!).

EvilDragon said:
...the Pandoras have always gone out in the order they had been ordered....

Although it seems there may have been some movement during the "re-order" period. I re-ordered within 48 hours of receiving a refund - unfortunately it took several weeks to receive the refund (a problem with OpenPandora & the banks/cc card people according to 'Debs' who I was dealing with at them time). It's hard to be certain due to all the factors (international orders not being accounted for in UK position quotes, only order info based on claimed order time and lots of GMT/BST/UTC confusion) but this appears to have moved order position for some. I'm only pointing this out for completeness - it was confusing enough being quoted order numbers which missed out hundreds of non-uk orders....

craigix said:
The 1500 are due here next week sometime (well, due in to customs!).
Well, this is news, and good news. I think people have been worried by the delays which happened before with the cases, and were quite concerned that it might be easy to loose another month through some small problem. It seems this might have been harder to control than the PCB assembly - even if it is the PCBs which are the immediate bottleneck in the short term.

Sounds like next week is going the be the re-start of a busy few months.

Sphinxter said:
What was the solution for the issue of the cases cracking around that middle screw like they were cast in cookie dough and left in the oven too long?

We have only had 2 of these returned, looked like the screws were too tight.

TWO out of 700.

craigix said:

TWO out of 700.
Come on, that is an issue minor enough and far from crippling to prevent people from return it.
While I don't think it is an epidemic (after all, the cases are supposed to be hard plastic), the number of people with such cracks is most likely higher.

What's more, when you see that you can wait up to a month (or more) for the return, you'd better have a good reason to go for it and RMA it.

I perfectly accept such faults as I couldn't care less on the aesthetics as long they don't spontaneously break or cease to function.
I'm very happy with the humongous battery size, good controls, power under the hood and freedom to do whatever we want with it (software wise, that is), sure a Apple or Sony like design would help, but not much in this community.

My point is, that a bit of humility on your part, would do wonders on the relations of people. Only after you have shipped all of them, and a month or so has passed, you will see how good quality control were, specially at the end when you should have mastered the assembly.

EvilDragon said:
Some confusion here, eh?

Hey, you should do a lottery for the rest of the pandoras! (Hopes and dreams of a 3000+ queuer).

Blue Ion said:
craigix said:

TWO out of 700.
Come on, that is an issue minor enough and far from crippling to prevent people from return it.
While I don't think it is an epidemic (after all, the cases are supposed to be hard plastic), the number of people with such cracks is most likely higher.

What's more, when you see that you can wait up to a month (or more) for the return, you'd better have a good reason to go for it and RMA it.

I perfectly accept such faults as I couldn't care less on the aesthetics as long they don't spontaneously break or cease to function.
I'm very happy with the humongous battery size, good controls, power under the hood and freedom to do whatever we want with it (software wise, that is), sure a Apple or Sony like design would help, but not much in this community.

My point is, that a bit of humility on your part, would do wonders on the relations of people. Only after you have shipped all of them, and a month or so has passed, you will see how good quality control were, specially at the end when you should have mastered the assembly.

he had TWO returns, what more do you want him to say?

something like "we had two returns out of seven hundred so we estimate there's actually four hundred broken ones in the wild" ???

you are just speculating negative BS and being a patronizing jerk.

you go ahead and start a company doing business with the public and then you deal with your customers the way you want.

I thought he was pretty restrained and polite actually and also raised valid points.

If openpandora arent following up with the pandora owners asking for some kind of feedback and only accepting data from returns well then the next batch is doomed to have many RMA'd units too. As Blue Ion pointed out not everybody is willing to RMA a unit for small defects if the wait time for a replacement unit is over a month.

I'm not sure it's that much over a month, my turnaround time for one shipped to WA in the USA was pretty close to 6 weeks. Not amazing, but pretty easy to wait that length if you have a real issue (mine had two dead nubs, so far just the screen bezel issue or whatever it was referred to, been about 6 weeks since I last read anything Pandora related aside from emails).

Korlithiel said:
I'm not sure it's that much over a month, my turnaround time for one shipped to WA in the USA was pretty close to 6 weeks. Not amazing, but pretty easy to wait that length if you have a real issue (mine had two dead nubs, so far just the screen bezel issue or whatever it was referred to, been about 6 weeks since I last read anything Pandora related aside from emails).
Okay, but the point is - that's considerably over a month, and so not something one would probably do if the only issue was cracks around some screws. That doesn't mean the issue shouldn't be addressed.

That said, I can see why that might not be a high priority for Craig, given the other, major issues.

zacaj said:
So does that mean were at 525 in craigs list?
I'd hazard a guess and say "no". There seem to be no posts as far as I can see on the forums that says anyone in the 350-450 range at Craigix' store have recieved a unit (except for those that settled for a one-nub unit). I'd love to be proven wrong though.

craigix said:
Sphinxter said:
What was the solution for the issue of the cases cracking around that middle screw like they were cast in cookie dough and left in the oven too long?

TWO out of 700.

okay, so including mine is 3 of 700...still nothing to be upset about and let me tell you that i'm a perfectionist!

cheer up, they're coming and are well worth the wait :)

Back