Latest Build News

Both of my Pandoras have this problem with the cracked case around the screw, and yes .. I've decided its too minor to warrant a return. I wish there'd been some quality control on the issue, but meh .. whatever ..

torpor said:
Both of my Pandoras have this problem with the cracked case around the screw, and yes .. I've decided its too minor to warrant a return. I wish there'd been some quality control on the issue, but meh .. whatever ..
I assume you mean the screw by the USB port? I don't see any cracks there on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup .. and be sure you keep an eye on it, though, because it starts off as a micro-fracture and gradually widens. There's a washer/spacer missing, in my opinion, on that screw .. to keep the case separated and reduce stresspoints ..

craigix said:
Nothing, the case situation was over in April. There is nothing more to happen there, we decided to order 7000 last month. 1500 are coming by UPS the rest by boat (4-5 weeks).

The 1500 are due here next week sometime (well, due in to customs!).

Craig, have you received any of the new batch of cases then? (I've lost track) If so, did they not paint the D-PAD, action buttons and shoulder buttons like you asked?

Thank you.

^ Sounds like they have some unpainted bits now:

NickLoTurco said:
Recieved my second unit today, loving the non-painted keys! The lid is still higher on one side, higher than my 1st one, no big deal. Shoulder buttons are better, had some paint wear on my 1st on delivery so happy about my spotless new one. Bezel problem still there too but couldn't give a toss really! Glad to have it back although I bit gutted as my first was serial number 8! Don't know which this is yet but would imagine in the 700's.......happy days!

I still can't tell if mine are unpainted or not. They look almost the same... I can't deny that the fit is definitely better, though.

I'm not sure what this talk of unpainted parts is about, nothing has changed, the only part unpainted in this batch on the way is the shoulder buttons so they will hopefully fit better.

There can't really be any 'quality control' over this crack because we have only seen two and they were from very early units. We don't put the screws in nearly as tight now so maybe that's solved it, we will find out. But since we don't know for certain why it happens it's kind of hard to progress with a solution, also for a problem which is quite rare (<1%?) how much time should be invest in it?

It does remind me of my cracked macbook case though, if Apple can't get it right I suspect random cracking plastic might be difficult to solve.

I've got high hopes for less tight screws though, since the crack is right above one.

I know things are going slow but 170 more boards are arriving soon and things will start to really speed up and those units should be very good quality due to this lengthy test process. We're getting there and it will mean great things for the future - did you see that the OMAP5 now seems to have been confirmed ;)

craigix said:
It does remind me of my cracked macbook case though, if Apple can't get it right I suspect random cracking plastic might be difficult to solve.
Let me guess... At the front, on the right-hand side of the wrist-rest, by any chance? I've got that on mine, as well.

When that model was still for sale, they actually would pre-warn potential customers about it, at least in their shops.

EDIT: That is to say, it affected all of those, and that's a multi-million unit product line, too.

craigix said:
I know things are going slow but 170 more boards are arriving soon and things will start to really speed up and those units should be very good quality due to this lengthy test process. We're getting there and it will mean great things for the future - did you see that the OMAP5 now seems to have been confirmed ;)
You mean this?

http://newscenter.ti.com/Blogs/newsroom/archive/2010/08/09/ti-announced-as-the-first-licensee-of-the-next-generation-arm-cortex-a-series-processor-core-474641.aspx

So when are they going to ship OMAP4?

Prometheus said:
craigix said:
Let me guess... At the front, on the right-hand side of the wrist-rest, by any chance? I've got that on mine, as well.

When that model was still for sale, they actually would pre-warn potential customers about it, at least in their shops.

EDIT: That is to say, it affected all of those, and that's a multi-million unit product line, too.

Left side now too, seems to be spreading over the whole front of the case, on the right side it's starting to head upwards. I suppose normal mac customers don't keep their machines this long though! :) Hmmm at least the keys are not popping off never to go back on like my old Dell...

I guess we're somewhat rare ones - I buy stuff and use it for a damn long time. :lol: I really should stick something over the hole that the plastic fell off of (never to be seen again :rolleyes: ), though...

craigix said:
There can't really be any 'quality control' over this crack because we have only seen two and they were from very early units. We don't put the screws in nearly as tight now so maybe that's solved it, we will find out. But since we don't know for certain why it happens it's kind of hard to progress with a solution, also for a problem which is quite rare (<1%?) how much time should be invest in it?
IIRC, someone mentioned that one of the cut out areas in the case is too small so that the connector puts pressure on the plastic. It's really not advisable to refuse to acknowledge problems of non-returned units. I've counted several people with the crack here and on the German boards.

On the other hand, Craig is right about that they can't really cook up a fix for a problem that they don't see:

"Why haven't you fixed this! It is a problem!"
"Well, we didn't see it..."
"Of course you didn't! You should have fixed it anyway!"

:D

In order to be able to find out the extent of the problem and determine the cause, they would need to see and physically examine units with the problem.

I'm sure it's not a big deal (as reported) and most people won't care (as most haven't), but it's a bit odd to still hear reports of "the bevel problem" on newer completed units. Perhaps older case assemblies are still coming through. We'll see.

I'm not even sure why I'm posting this. Just thinking out aloud, I guess. :)

Moxie said:
In order to be able to find out the extent of the problem and determine the cause, they would need to see and physically examine units with the problem.

They could ask some of the folks to return their unit, if it's too hard to reproduce at home in the town hall ;)
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55019-case-is-cracked/

Moxie said:
On the other hand, Craig is right about that they can't really cook up a fix for a problem that they don't see:

"Why haven't you fixed this! It is a problem!"
"Well, we didn't see it..."
"Of course you didn't! You should have fixed it anyway!"

:D

What's funny to me is the small number of returns we have had and the way it appears opposite on the boards (especially gp32spain), I was in the returns room yesterday, almost all the returned units are there, and I wanted to take a photo, it's such a small pile of units. I went in there expecting there to be more of them after the hoohah on here. It's a bit depressing really that this opinion has formed, I think we have done a really good job with the QC so far, but some people just keep pushing that it's terrible.

^ You realize that some simply don't return their units because of certain reasons even if they encounter defects, don't you?

I suppose that "magnifying glass" effect is almost inevitable, unfortunately - you've sold a lot more units than there are active forumites, after all.

It's a bit like how the thing about the hinge cracking and shoulder button issue on the Nintendo DS Lite persists as if it affects all DS Lites ever made, when it only affected the first run or two of them. I'm sure there's a proper term for it, but I'm not recalling it right now.

(My opinion is that I agree that you've done a great job with tightening up the QC - I can see massive, massive improvements in my new unit.)

mali said:
^ You realize that some simply don't return their units because of certain reasons even if they encounter defects, don't you?

and of course people who are happy customers say nothing, while those who arent bitch and whine all over the shop like a 5 year old with a skinned knee*

*i dont know any five year olds with skinned knees (officer) but do feel free to replace whatever other whining type you like.

Back