Lack Of Fun Games

psj3809 posted on Dec 6 2006 at 10:52 AM said:
Must admit any new original games which arent used by emulators i dont really bother with, emulation all the way for me.
Real great mate.

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read over all the posts here but its probably already been said by others. The gp2x is pretty much an emulation console at the moment. If more interest was shown in homebrew games then maybe developers would be more persuaded to put in the extra effort to make a polished and original game... I mean this in a nice way, not trying to piss off games devs, I am in the same boat where I have worked hard to make decent games but after release theres not much interest. I understand that the game may not be everyones cuppa tea but there just doesn't seem to be much interest or if there is nobody is bothering to give any feedback like they would do for an emulator.

A good example is the top downloads on the gp2x archive, out of the 10 listed its:

4 emulators (MAME, Genesis, NeoGeo, PSX)
3 ports of game engines (Quake, BOR, Duke3D)
3 Misc (User Guide, SDL Libs, Firmware)

No homebrew games whatsoever, you would probably be hard pressed to find any games in the top 20 if there was one.

I hope that the community coding compo does result in some quality and original games as theres no emulators or ports allowed. If there is, this should hopefully give homebrew games a good boost and get more people into games.

There may come a time when everything possible has been emulated (not far off already) and the games devs may have gone elsewhere or given up coding because of lack of interest. Show the games devs some interest while you can, even if the games are crap, give some feedback on how it can be improved, report any bugs, maybe offer to help out with graphics, sound, music etc. If the developer gets feedback they will be more enthusiastic about coding games and you end up with better games, everyone wins :)

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 5 2006 at 09:53 PM said:
Moxie - you will love my next game which should hopefully be mostly ready for the coding compo, a proper version will be released at a later date. its another version of Squares but I have expanded on the original game with some new features. More info at http://www.emuboards.com/guyfawkes/squares.htm

I also done a quick WIP video showing some of the games modes at http://207.44.176.77/~admin28/squares-beta-video.wmv. I am currently working on a multiplayer knockout mode (currently upto 3 players, two on gp2x, one on usb joypad) which is quite fun. I might add more players if it turns out to be popular along with full multiple usb joypad support. Oh you can also play using a mouse via the BOB if you have it.

Your games looks like it will be quite fun and addictive can't wait to play it and good luck in the contest! :)

Oh one more thing make sure that you dont include any of the copyrighted music like you had in your demo video because the rules say All entrants must own the rights to use all media and code in the program and I wouldn't want you to get disqulified because of all you work you have done so far it looks really fun. What are you plans on your future version? I think 3d squares would be kinda cool. Just a thought.

That music isn't in the game itself. Guyfawkes wrote a media player which lets you plug in whatever music you want.

yeah as Orkie said the game scans your SD card in a specified folder for MP3 and OGG files, it then adds them to a playlist and plays in the game. at the moment there is no music packaged in the game (i hope to get something ready for after the compo) so hopefully everyone has one or two tunes on their card :)

The good news from me is progress is being made on my game! You will hopefully have a version of it to play for the compo... I'd say I'm 50% confident I can turn it into a playable game for the deadline although I am getting my Wii tomorrow at midnight... hmmm.

I agree with what Guyfawkes said, support your homebrew devs, even if their games aren't that great! Devs need feedback and any as good as long as it's not "That is a pile of turd!".

If you don't like a game for whatever reason offer constructive criticism:
"I don't like how the player reacts when the enemy shoots him, you should do this."

This type of support is great for a dev because it shows the dev that at least someone has played that game.

PokeParadox posted on Dec 6 2006 at 08:32 PM said:
I agree with what Guyfawkes said at support your homebrew devs at even if their games aren't that great! Devs need feedback and any as good as long as it's not "That is a pile of turd!".

"I don't like how the player reacts when the enemy shoots him, you should do this."

This type of support is great for a dev because it shows the dev that at least someone has played that game.

Seconded...

PokeParadox posted on Dec 6 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
The good news from me is progress is being made on my game! You will hopefully have a version of it to play for the compo... I'd say I'm 50% confident I can turn it into a playable game for the deadline although I am getting my Wii tomorrow at midnight... hmmm.

I agree with what Guyfawkes said, support your homebrew devs, even if their games aren't that great! Devs need feedback and any as good as long as it's not "That is a pile of turd!".

I agree with this totally it really makes me just want to code games for myself and not release them when I get comments like that game sucks it should do this or that. I think credit should be give to every dev. even if the project doesn't turn out that good who knows maybe the next one they make might be the best game ever but they quit because of negative feedback!!! Programming a game is not easy when you have to do everything yourself graphics,sound,controlls,coding,story etc... thats alot for one person to handle. I may be entering the contest myself but I give full support to everyone else who does also. That is one reason why I was telling Guyfawkes about the music I just wanted to make sure he had a fair chance at the contest because he is a dev. and deserves that chance as does anyone else that takes time out of their lives to make the gp2x community stronger :) enuff said!!!

fireflly2442 posted on Dec 6 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
How many people have a GP2X? I'm sure it's purely speculative but I would be interested to find out....

Sales passed those of the GP32 a month or so ago, and that sold 30,000+ units.

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 3 2006 at 11:07 PM said:
if you cant code why not think up some game ideas and let us know, someone might like the idea and code the game?
i would like to see an update of combat (( the tank game )) from the atari 2600, imagine detailed tanks, and lovely ww2 bombed out looking buildings on dusty, pot holed roads, different terraines for levels and with desent sounds....power ups like missiles and flame throwers, boss tanks , a choice of playable tanks , i could go on all night lol...... :D edit due to adding more :)

fatdad posted on Dec 6 2006 at 07:44 PM said:
Guyfawkes posted on Dec 3 2006 at 11:07 PM said:
if you cant code why not think up some game ideas and let us know, someone might like the idea and code the game?
i would like to see an update of combat (( the tank game )) from the atari 2600, imagine detailed tanks, and lovely ww2 bombed out looking buildings on dusty, pot holed roads, and with desent sounds....power ups like missiles and flame throwers, boss tanks , a choice of playable tanks , i could go on all night lol...... :D

Have you tried Combat 2? :p

Back