Lack Of Fun Games

G

Goemon4

is it just me, or does the 2x seem to have a lack of original games? i mean the 32 had tons of fun, kooky, original, interesting games that the 2x dosnt seem to have... the 2x just has ports, clones and remakes, which are fun and all, but i have those all emulated! im not saying the 2x sucks in any way, im just finding no real uses for it as far as originality goes... i mean is it just me? i mean yeah, playing neo geo games are fun, but what about something new? cause i could play my 32 for hours without touching an emulator... the 2x on the other hand, i get bored of playing beat2x, tilematch and myriad over and over and seem to start getting bored of playing them. I know alot of things are being worked on, but those are mostly the commercial games and in the time being the community is just getting one or two updates for mame and a shump here and there... i know i cant say much (since im a horrible coder) but still, i know you good coders are out there, so why not do something other than port/ something we dont need (cause i got like 10 tetris clones already and dont need another!)

sry if i offend anyone (cause im not trying to)
-Goemon4

Bear in mind we have the community contest deadline appraching.
Any fun games will be enterred in that atm...
My game will be in it if I get it finished enough... I mean gameplay-wise. the first release is going to be extremely no frills lol...

yeah, im waiting for that (contests always bring good games) and giving ideas.... hmmm ill think into that (cause i have had some semi-borderline crap (lol) ideas) well keeep on posting (id like to here more ideas/opinions)

Really, what's the difference if a game is a port or original? I mean, Freedroid is "just a port" but it's absolutely brilliant to have on a handheld.

Some other great games if you haven't tried them:

Heroes2X
Hexahop
Zooov
Powermanga
Kobo Deluxe
Nethack
Ladykiller
CDogs
and dozens more...

In fact, I'd hazard to say there are more games I enjoy on GP2X that aren't on GP32, than vice versa. The only ones I really miss that haven't already been ported from GP32 are Lacuna (my fave on it), Numo, Akanoid (although that was a clone itself) and Drunken Frogger.

The Community Contest deadline ends in a few days, I'm sure that will reap more original games!

Why I don't agree with you:

There's already some great homebrew software out there! Here's what I have on my SD: Beat2x, BOR, BrassMunkey, Burokku, Dodgin Diamond II, Extender, Invaders, Kurukuru2x, Liquid War, Madmix, Myriad, Noiz2sa, RetrovirusRTS, Sokoban, Spout, S-Tris, Supertux, The Minigame Project, Tilematch, Vektar, and Zoov. Give these a try, I guarantee you'll be off emulators for a long, long time. :)

The homebrew game community contest is about to come to an end, so by mid-December you'll have more new homebrew on your hands than your SD card can handle... so sit tight by then (and give those games I mentioned a try!)

Why I agree:

Lots of people give homebrew game developers the feeling that their efforts are worthless compared to those of emulator authors. When emulator threads reach 20 pages in two days, and most homebrew games gather less than 1 page, on average, I bet lots of devvers get turned off.

On a positive side though, I notice more and more people asking for original homebrew games as of late, which means that demand for them is growing by the day. :)

- Alex

You read my mind man! Yah, I've not bought my gp2x and what you said is what keeps me from getting one! GP2X is all about old games. I have nothing against old games and I even like them, but about some modern games? GP2X BIG problem is the lack of 3D accelerator. GPH, just put that Samsung chipset in there and let us have fun :)

BTW, I have some money and am thinking of developing commercial games for GP2X. How much would that cost me and who can do it?

Fargo posted on Dec 3 2006 at 06:21 PM said:
BTW, I have some money and am thinking of developing commercial games for GP2X. How much would that cost me and who can do it?

It's free if I'm not mistaken (minus the obvious cost of the GP2X/accessories to test it on). PM Craigix for details on publishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Dec 4 2006 at 02:26 AM said:
Fargo posted on Dec 3 2006 at 06:21 PM said:

It's free if I'm not mistaken (minus the obvious cost of the GP2X/accessories to test it on). PM Craigix for details on publishing.
Oh! Let me try again! I want someone to develop commercial games so that I can sell them. Games based on Doom/Quake engine are the best (because I like such games :))

@gaterooze - ive played just about every game on the archive, including those, their fun but dont match up to the pure awsomeness of Mafi Sushi panic!

@Alex. - look at your game list, BOR, Dodgin Diamond, Invaders, Noiz2sa, Sokoban, Spout, and The Minigame Project are all on the 32 and as i said, ive played most 2x games, but have found one or that i can play for a long time (theres 1 or 2 but i usually forget the names in the 100's that i have) but i do agree with you on both of your points

@Fargo - 3d accelerators are nice, but i could care less for one (i still play my atari and find it fun, so... :D )i think all you need is the dev kit (from my uderstanding)

Goemon4 posted on Dec 4 2006 at 02:36 AM said:
@fargo - 3d accelerators are nice, but i could care less for one (i still play my atari and find it fun, so... :D )i think all you need is the dev kit (from my uderstanding)
No, I cannot code! I want someone to do them for me and I'd sell them (outsourcing!).

For the 3D accelerator, yes, many members of this forum wouldn't care about that. There are many potential customers out there who like 3D games (myself included). I think GPH should act asap and puts 3D accelerator in GP2X. Its rival is preparing XGP!!

Fargo posted on Dec 3 2006 at 11:57 PM said:
I think GPH should act asap and puts 3D accelerator in GP2X.

I think you've misunderstood the GP2X ;)

Goemon, thanks for reminding me of Mafi Sushi Panic! Hope there's a port in the works.

I've always wanted to experiment with game design. For lack of a better idea a shooter would be a lot of fun.. either side scrolling 3d like border down, or 3d rendered to 2d like blazing star. Using a similar technique but with a unique visual style. Trippy would be the goal. Trippy and tight.

If a developer would have interest give me a shout. (or if you know anyone, direct them to this post) I have a BA in illustration and computer graphics/animation from RIT. I have flash experience, but not gaming.. so I'd like to start very small, like a ship character and a moving background, then build from there. NO OUTLINE or planning, just a self driven piece of art. I use maya for modeling.

gaterooze posted on Dec 3 2006 at 07:12 PM said:
Fargo posted on Dec 3 2006 at 11:57 PM said:
I think GPH should act asap and puts 3D accelerator in GP2X.

I think you've misunderstood the GP2X ;)

Goemon, thanks for reminding me of Mafi Sushi Panic! Hope there's a port in the works.

ditto, that game pwnz!! (say what goes into porting gp32 games to the 2x?)

Well, there have been 0 entries yet (I expect 99% of the entires to come the last day) and 2 questions about entries so far, so that means that 2 games were considered for entering lol. Thats all the info I've got so far lol.

that sucks (but i hope your right) if no one entered that would suck (but i doubt that)

Well, I guarantee someone will enter, and if there is only one entry, then they are sure getting a lot of cash lol.

hmmmm (gets an idea to code the biggest pos ever then enter it for said large sums of cash)

New rule, it has to score a 2/10 or higher on every category to be eligible to win. :p Take that lol.

Back