Release KOBO Deluxe (rebuild with working music)

alavaliant

Still Fresh
After getting my pandora recently I tried out the existing Kobo deluxe pnd (http://dl.openhandhe...?0,0,0,0,27,267) but it has music hardcoded off in it's setup. (which I rather like having)

So considering I wanted to start off generating pnds doing a test with a known program that would run on the pandora (so I knew any build errors were problems with my build env rather than issues with the program I was trying to compile up) I've done my own build of kobo deluxe with working music -

(working on my 1ghz pandora with the firmware it came with, I don't know how this build will run on older firmware versions).

So anyway if some of you guys can try out the kobodeluxe pnd attached to this post and confirm I've actually produced a build that runs on more than just my pandora I'll upload it to the pandora repo. (and feel confident to continue on looking at building some more pnds (time and skill dependant, it took me long enough to collect all the patches to make kobo compile ok and to write some further small ones to fix paths and key mappings to work on the pandora ))

Thanks

kobodeluxe.pnd

Attachments

• kobodeluxe.pnd
    1.6 MB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

Tried on my "Classic" Pandora. Works very well. Takes a little while to load sound effects, but it's worth the wait.

Have you thought about using the left-nub for movement?

Congrats on a successful PND build (I always manage to screw something up). You should definitely up it to the repo !

Nice one.

Never got around fixing the music playback.

Nice that You were able to do it.

Don't forget to add it to the repo :)

The Kobo Deluxe author originally generated all sounds dynamically/procedurally/algorithmically at game startup, which took a long time.

He mentioned to me a few years ago that he was working on an option to "cache" these sounds by writing them to disk, to be loaed at game startup. Perhaps this can be enabled for faster startup?

Hi.

Tried on my "Classic" Pandora. Works very well. Takes a little while to load sound effects, but it's worth the wait.

Have you thought about using the left-nub for movement?

Congrats on a successful PND build (I always manage to screw something up). You should definitely up it to the repo !

I hadn't really looked at setting up the nubs since I find the dpad easier to use for this sort of game. However doing some quick testing it looks like setting the left nub to joystick mode and enabling joystick in kobo should be fairly trivial so I'll look at rebuilding the pnd to cover that. While researching on the nubs I think I've also found out some info on why the sound effect loading bit goes on so long and a possible work around so I'll try to cover that as well. (klapse as it happens you've posted about what I'd found right as I was writing this post - yes there is a cache option and that is what I'm going to be looking at)

After playing this for a few days WOW just WOW ...would love to see nub support :)

v2 of the pnd attached to this reply.

Changes;

• copy of pre-generated sounds included and option set to load them. Increases pnd size but greatly speeds up startup
  • sets left nub to joystick mode on load and has option set to have joysticks enabled in kobo (also naturally returns left nub to previous nub mode on exit of kobo). Seems to be the best supported way of using the nubs in kobo that I could find in my testing, having this enabled shouldn't stop anybody (like myself) who wants to continue to use the dpad.

Assuming no issues are found this will most likely be the version I'll upload to the repo.

kobodeluxe-2.pnd

Attachments

• kobodeluxe-2.pnd
    3.7 MB · Views: 235
feedback - I tried the new .pnd with nub support ,the nubs didn't work for me .I deleted the app data and tried again ,still nubs didn't work ( says joystick not found).I proceeded to turn on joystick in nub configuration and behold the nubs worked and the nubs didn't feel too responsive though like the d-pad (try just rotating the nubs in a circle while in game play ,seems to not hit all the diagonals ),also It didn't revert the nub back to mouse mode on exit . At this point I will continue to use the d-pad, keep up the great work and Thanks Again for this classic on the Pandora :) Bud

The nubset script needs time to set the nubmode before the Program starts.

Try to put a sleep 1 after it in the startupscript.

The nubset script needs time to set the nubmode before the Program starts.

Try to put a sleep 1 after it in the startupscript.
Thanks for the hint, I guess some pandora's respond faster than other since my one did seem to switch nub modes fast enough for it to work in my testing.

feedback - I tried the new .pnd with nub support ,the nubs didn't work for me .I deleted the app data and tried again ,still nubs didn't work ( says joystick not found).I proceeded to turn on joystick in nub configuration and behold the nubs worked and the nubs didn't feel too responsive though like the d-pad (try just rotating the nubs in a circle while in game play ,seems to not hit all the diagonals ),also It didn't revert the nub back to mouse mode on exit . At this point I will continue to use the d-pad, keep up the great work and Thanks Again for this classic on the Pandora :) Bud
Unfortantly I think what you saw with the nubs in joystick mode is about as good as I'm going to be able to get it, any further refinements would require patching of the source rather than just setting options and I think adjusting that part of the code is beyond my knowledge of C.

This game is AWESOME !! Version 2 loads pretty much instantly now. I didn't try using the nubs as I've got used to using the D-Pad now. You should repo it, so that we can all forget to rate it ;)

Um, is there any reason why I'm not seeing text?
Yeah, me too unfortunately. There's a problem with this build with text for the menu and in-game not showing up (I had to totally guess how to exit it)
Rather odd,   text shows fine my end.   My only guess is that the -videodriver 1 option that I didn't think mattered and took out in the last upload actually is important in some cases.   (I only had it initially because the original pnd at http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,27,267 had it but when I tested on my end having it set or not set didn't seem to change anything so I took it out when removing the half working nub support for the repo upload).   I've now uploaded a new build to the repo that has the option put back in.   Does that fix text display for you guys?

I'll check the next time I can - in this case, likely tomorrow. Assuming we're all still here tomorrow ;)

Good news:  The world didn't end.

Even better news: This PND is working brilliantly now.

Also, not bragging or anything, but I just got to stage 008.  That's impressive, right?

Back