Keyboard Poll, Finally!

International characters: Do you want to have YOUR OWN language specific characters to be printed on

• a) I'm using a ROMAN ALPHABET language with several accented letters but I DO NOT WANT them printed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b) I'm using a ROMAN ALPHABET language with several accented letters, and I WANT them printed on the

• c) I'm using a ROMAN ALPHABET language with several accented letters, and I WANT them printed on the

• d) I'm using a NON-ROMAN ALPHABET language but I DO NOT WANT that another alphabet (cyryllic, kana/k

• e) I'm using a NON-ROMAN ALPHABET language, and I WANT a character of that another alphabet ([url=ht

• f) I'm using a NON-ROMAN ALPHABET language, and I WANT a character of that another alphabet ([url=ht

• g) My native language is ENGLISH (or doesn't use any accents), I don't need any accented letters nor

• h) My native language is ENGLISH (or doesn't use any accents), I don't need any accented letters nor

• i) My native language is ENGLISH (or doesn't use any accents), I don't need any accented letters nor

• Total voters

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
3rd poll question - pick the keyboard

a) Caine - Final revision
In case the software cannot determine the order of keypresses as described by Kagato above then:
- move wifi toggle to Fn+enter,
- put AltGr on Fn+Space
- Move Compose to right shift as shift value (i.e. lshift+rshift (sticky))
pandorakeyb4zn7.png

b) cosurgi - Final revision
cosurgi_final3_ctrl_alt.png

c) Hootcooler Cyryllic, final proposal. Characters after "/" are accented. "Ь" "Ъ" "Э" are in the corners, and can be memorised. "Ъ" and "Ь" are in the same respective row and corner. "Э" is moved under accent because it's not frequently used. "Е" "Ё" and "Ш" "Щ" don't need to be printed.
4ujdhz.png

d) greendots - Final revision:
pandora_kb_greendot3.png

e) Kagato: Final revision.
Unlabeled functions: Tab, Ctrl, Alt, AltGr, PgUp/Down, Home/End, Accent, SysRq - can be revised without affecting the printing.
4h5h80.png

f) Chip: proposal
pandorakeyboardintrn6.jpg

g) Synthetix: proposal
x1g5sy.png

h) Chip+Hotcooler: cyryllic proposal
2i919jt.jpg

i) original design:
pandora-keyboard1.jpg

The Ctrl, Alt and Fn placement. 2nd poll question:
Every keyboard layout which has Ctrl, Alt on the keyboard is affected by the results of this poll question, and its Ctrl, Alt and Fn placement is affected. To demonstrate on design (B) - here are all alternatives with swapped key locations:
cosurgi_final3_ctrl_alt1.png

cosurgi_final3_ctrl_alt3.png

cosurgi_final3_ctrl_alt2.png

But this choice affects every keyboard capable of that: B) f) and h)

Last edited by a moderator:
10/10 for effort cosurgi. I think I'll take my time.

ps I'm not sure the url links in the poll are how you intended them.

TaG said:
10/10 for effort cosurgi. I think I'll take my time.
Great, thanks! :D

TaG said:
ps I'm not sure the url links in the poll are how you intended them.
yeah, I didn't know if they would work, so I decided to try. Now editing poll options is not possible. But it's not that bad after all, I think :)

One of the things that I saw in a couple of the layouts that I really liked was the shoulder buttons being used for left and right click. I think that those should be the default functions of those two buttons, as when you're already using one to two thumbs for moving the mouse around, you don't have a free thumb to hit 'Fn' first. I also wanted to note that hitting the Fn along with any of the A,B,X,Y buttons might be difficult as those are on the same side of the device.

Nice poll, btw.

Well done on the poll and perseverance throughout. Looks like I'm with the majority so far, it will be interesting to see what others think.

You missed one option in your poll :)

"I'm using a ROMAN ALPHABET language (Spanish, Catalan, Portugues) with lots of accented letters (àáèéíïòóúü) but standard keyboards for my language never had specific keys for each accented letter, they use several special (dead) keys instead. I really want these keys"

juanvvc said:
You missed one option in your poll :)

"I'm using a ROMAN ALPHABET language (Spanish, Catalan, Portugues) with lots of accented letters (àáèéíïòóúü) but standard keyboards for my language never had specific keys for each accented letter, they use several special (dead) keys instead. I really want these keys"

Ouch I'm sorry :( But in fact you had about two/three days to comment all poll options here. And you didn't submit keyboard design which would satisfy you. So it's your fault :p

I think the most important part of this poll is that every one is voting on the printed key layout. This does effect things like ctrl and alt placement or can other wise be mapped to a different key.

Thank you Cosurgi for getting the poll set up.

Thanks to Kagato for the SVG files... they will have another purpose to show special software (game) button mapping when everything is released I'm sure :)

My native language is Dutch, we use azerty over here. I still chose cosurgi's layout with the option for NOT placing the éèàç etc... on the keyboard
the reason to this is pretty simple
cosurgi's seems to be the most userfriendly to me. And while it would be nice to have a keyboard for everyone's native language, it would just end up being a big chaotic mess.
It is without doubt easier for people that use other keyboard layouts to adapt to QWERTY then it would be for people to adapt to a keyboard that just gave that little extra advantage to a small group of pandora users.

Certain European countries seem to have this "pride" about their language that seems to make them reluctant of even attempting of using another language.

Mistabeen said:
My native language is Dutch, we use azerty over here. I still chose cosurgi's layout with the option for NOT placing the éèàç etc... on the keyboard
the reason to this is pretty simple
cosurgi's seems to be the most userfriendly to me. And while it would be nice to have a keyboard for everyone's native language, it would just end up being a big chaotic mess.
It is without doubt easier for people that use other keyboard layouts to adapt to QWERTY then it would be for people to adapt to a keyboard that just gave that little extra advantage to a small group of pandora users.

Certain European countries seem to have this "pride" about their language that seems to make them reluctant of even attempting of using another language.

taintedclarity said:
Basically, the french and the Russians don't want to use a qwerty keyboard. (Puts up flame shield)

Or are you talking about the poll.

How hard it sounds actually, I agree. France might be a lovely country and have great historical value, but they take to much pride in being French.
I live in Belgium, which is a trilingual country (Dutch, French and German to those who don't know ^^) and seeing as French is the dominant language in our capital we got dragged along into using azerty.

emil10001 said:
One of the things that I saw in a couple of the layouts that I really liked was the shoulder buttons being used for left and right click. I think that those should be the default functions of those two buttons, as when you're already using one to two thumbs for moving the mouse around, you don't have a free thumb to hit 'Fn' first. I also wanted to note that hitting the Fn along with any of the A,B,X,Y buttons might be difficult as those are on the same side of the device.

Nice poll, btw.
Your remark about Fn is what initially inspired me to put Fn on the left side and double the shift keys (originally most special symbols were on the right, now it more or less balances out).

But don't worry too much about it. The modifier keys (Ctrl,Alt,Shift,Fn,...) can be configured as sticky modifiers (this holds regardless of the designs chosen) such that e.g. Fn + B can be input as [press Fn, release, press B, release]. Not my personal preference, but certainly a valid option.

And I agree, nice poll. It has certainly been a very interesting exercise to design the keyboard layouts.

My native language is Dutch, we use azerty over here.

Believe me, that is a French influence. There is an official Dutch keyboard layout but almost nobody uses it. Within the Netherlands the US keyboard layout is the dominant default.

Dear layout creators,
Some of you have proposed to place FN button in the right corner. At the same time some of you have proposed those adjacent buttons to have additional functions activated by FN. The question is how will you press two small adjacent buttons in the proper order holding P in your hands? This is going to be a pain in the ass I think.
Vote for original layout!!!!!!!
edit: typo

It is quite surpsing for me to see that original design is currently going on better than Kagato's design. Actually I was expecting hard competition between mine and Kagato's. And I had no plans (really) to win this poll. Current results are quite surprising for me that my design fares that good :D

Thank you for voting!

Actually I've always said that polls are nothing like reality, but I voted for what I wanted. Actually I dont really care that much. I'd like to have CYR letters on the keyboard, but that's probably not gonna happen (wich I pretty much knew from the start xD) First off I'd like to see real Pandora to have a look what is keyboard like.

P.S. About polls. It's problem is that only people that voted, are people with kinda want something from keyboard. It's like some forums flooded with posts about bugs of some software. But that's not means that soft is so buggy, that mean only that there's only posts from people with problems, others just dont give a shit about forums e.t.c. (Reflecting on our situation - Since forums is in English, and the whole thing is kinda near UK 80% forum members are using english as their primary language. 70% of them never used a keyboard with symbols other than roman alphabet chars, so any other symbols there and keyboard for them seems quite crowded, more than 50% of non English people on the forum dont give a shit about keyboard layout since they are japaneese for example e.t.c. So what I want to say - that poll is pretty much useless since 90% of people that will vote for the most clear look. ) Sorry for bad interpritation, my English cant handle complex sentenses xD

But!!! This poll will probably reflect the needs of first people to preorder.

P.P.S. Sorry If I'm offended anyone in some way. Bad English, couple beers and 1:30am is not so good for clear posing xD

Russians don't want to use a qwerty keyboard. (Puts up flame shield)

Actually Russians use QWERTY + ЙЦУКЕНГ. Exept really old persons who typed tons of thext on old typewriters. But I never meet someone like that with PC.

Hotcooler said:
P.P.S. Sorry If I'm offended anyone in some way. Bad English, couple beers and 1:30am is not so good for clear posing xD
I think you made some valid points quite well.

Polls are always biased in such ways. But just like any other vote, if its important to you and you don't vote and then don't get what you wanted you don't really have much right to complain because you had a chance to alter the outcome.

Whether the dev's agree is another matter, but it does seem like they might take some notice or some ideas.

Back