Just to make sure it's dead (WiiU)

Garrett

Advanced Member
I'm sure plenty here are already aware of this but I've only just heard of it and I'm probably not the only one.. visited a pal recently and was invited to play a bit of WiiU with his kids, after clicking a saved link on the WiiU's browser a few screens later brought up a menu full of game icons which are all stored on an SD card, card size doesn't seem to matter (theirs was 128GB.. game file sizes are much lower than a WiiU disk's 25GB) and all the games we played ran without issue apart from a little longer loading times with a few.
Apparantly it's a browser exploit that allows the use of a program called Loadiine GX2 to launch the games, if it ends up anything like the Wii scene with all the homebrew/emulator support etc then I guess it will probably re-energize the hardware sales for a while but I'd say the new game releases are pretty much finished now apart from a certain one with a chap in a green tunic.

Last edited:
Yes, it's game over for the WiiU.

But regardless of the bad sales and lack of third party support I do not regret my first day purchase.
My game library is about as big as the one I have for the Gamecube and Wii.
These Games made the Console worth its money for me..
These are:
Bayonetta 1&2
Super Smash Bros 4
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Lego City
The Wonderful 101
Hyrule Warrior
Mario Kart 8
Splatoon
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
New Super Mario Bros U
Yoshi's Woolly World

There are even more Games I wanted to play but didn't have time to do so:
Star Fox Zero
Project Zero: Maiden of the black Water

As I'm mainly a Nintendo Gamer and only have a (high end) Gaming Laptop for recent games it gave me access to some early third party games.
My first Wii U game was Darksiders 2 and I enjoyed it a lot.
Also I've played my only Assassin's Creed and Ninja Gaiden Game.

That's enough Games for me and I definitely can't complain.

Zelda will be NX for me.

It's dead but appealing.
You can play that great list of games Askarus mentionned. I would add Nintendo Land just for the ghost game that is really brilliant for local multiplayer.

On top of that you get Wii and Gamecube games (with Nintendont) with an HDMI output. And the older Nintendo systems on the WiiU's virtual console. That means all of the Nintendo consoles in 1 with the best video output that is possible and a screen mirroring option to the gamepad.
That is appealing to me.

I have a WiiU and PS3 (both hacked) plugged in my living room. The older consoles are in a storage place at my parent's house :D
WiiU: WiiU, Wii, Gamecube, N64. It also emulates DS but I am not using this.
PS3: PS3, PS2, PS1, PSP, Retroarch for all 8/16 bits and arcade.

The only systems I'm missing are Saturn and Dreamcast. They used to be the only legacy machines I still used but I had to move without them abroad.

If anything that is good for the WiiU. It was not working before, and this gives it new life.
Yep at least now the homebrew scene and the pirates will buy it. Nobody seemed to have cared about it anymore even before the NX announcement anyway.

It also emulates DS but I am not using this.

That's cool. Didn't know that's possible.

My WiiU isn't hacked and I don't plan to do so.
The time where I had time to do Smash Bros Hacking is over and besides that with the Bayonetta DLC there is every character in the game I could dream of.

But DS Emulation sounds nice (For me Pyra will do the Job ;))

I bought an old Wii with Gamecube ports to be able to play my old GC games, and I ended up homebrewing it up the wazoo. Since the WiiU doesn't have GC ports I'm not that interested in it. Nintendo will surely be rolling out a patch for this though, for anyone that accepts updates (can you even refuse them on a WiiU?)

Does the WiiU have the gubbins in its Wii menu to boot GC discs though? Pretty sure its drive can't even read the smaller discs (later model Wiis couldn't, for example), but I went to the trouble of ripping my GC discs using my Wii so I won't wear the drive out in the future, and it was convoluted enough getting those to work with a homebrew discloader and interface with the right OS modules to boot the disc image, but if it hasn't even got the OS modules to boot up as a GC then it'd be difficult. These machines aren't powerful enough to emulate a Gamecube I think, so I rely on the fact its hardware is similar enough to run the games natively provided a few things are disabled.

Back