Ehh, Yes, Sure

maniaX

Still Fresh
Ah..ok..since the other topic is closed and only few understood what i was going to say - i will try it in a more clear manner - hope this thread wont get closed as well. So, this is what happened today: Tired from evil work i decided todo some other things this evening. This lead me to the gp32x forum, just to check out some news for my favorite handheld system. But - i was confronted with something i wasnt prepared for: nonsense. Really mad nonsense.
For example the UT Thread: UT2k3 on a GBA from a guy stating it would run on his 200Mhz PC smoothly. Em.. ok.
A while back there were threads like "Why not write a snes player instead of an emulator to run that stuff at fullspeed?" from a guy claiming himself to be a computer expert.
Ok, we had those Ngage-emu threads - but i am sure there was really something similar to the PSX on GP32 thing - at least there was some CD32 emu requests. But the worst thing about all of those threads (apart from the NGage and GBA stuff) are the answers - i mean, look at the Playstation in PC emu on GP32 thing - guys really trying to explain why PSX wont work on GP32 - hell, there must be some really insane ppl in here. No offense - the gp32x community is greate but some ppl are really weird.

I think it may be possible, but at really slow speed. I'm talking slower than GBA emulation on GP32 right now. On a 206mhz strong-arm ppc you can get a psx emu to run at something like 8fps. Most GP32's can OC to 166mhz or 170mhz or whatever. The GP32 isn' that far behind from the ppc I was talking about. Some serious optimization would be needed to get it working though.

Just how are people supposed to know you are joking when the same question you asked (as a joke) has been asked over and over (for real) already? You should have suggested something really crazy, something that nobody would ever consider to be a genuine request (can't even think of anything people wouldn't seriously consider). Forget Playstation, forget Nintendo64 and start thinking BIG.

Now just think about this for a while, think of something outrageous and just try again. Maybe we'll all have a nice laugh realising you are joking this time...

It is not possible to get a full speed emulated gba, but
it is possible to Simulate a gba in full speed.

gba and gp32 useses the same cpucore, so why do we need to emulate the cpu of a gba ?
Just use the arm9 to execute the gba assembler code, and if it goes to sound/video, emulate this stuff...

oh my god .. ,look at this again, forgive me, i will never try to critizise anything again. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. hehe..outha here ;)

Nevermind I looked at some of your old posts and shit. I get where you where coming from in the original topic but just remember some people take sarcastic posts like that seriously because there have been posts that have been more far fetched which have been dead serious.

I think most questions are not that stupid. Most of these questions are asked by people who fall into one of the two following groups.

The first group are people with no technical knowledge who just see an old(er) console and a new console (the GP32) and think; this console is over 10 years old, surely the GP32 must be able to emulate this.

This also includes people, like the CD32 question, who just liked the CD32 in their time and do know nothing about it's Amiga heritage. So the GP32 not being able to emulate an Amiga is of no interest to them.

The second, more 'technically', group of people just sees things like screen resolution, processor speed and RAM. If the GP32 matches this or even surpasses this (case of PS) surely there must be no problem emulating this on the GP32.

So I think, from their point of view, they are asking a valid question. Explaining why this can't be done is very usefull since a simple no just doesn't stop them from asking the same question, for a different console, over and over again.

Now if you will excuse me I'll go back working on my PS2 emulator. You see I just found out the GP32 has 16bit graphics and the PS2 just 24. This leaves only 8bits to emulate, shouldn't be that hard ;)

I think the best you could really hope for is for people to port games in a limited fashion, you arnt going to get a cd into a 128mb SMC, youmight be able to fake a few games. The Resident evil demo looks like a start...curious to know just how much of the original game would fit on a 128 with lower quality BGs and such.

Stuff like Tombraider i could see, if the system can do doom and what not all you need is to add a polygonal Lara... but that might be the sticking point.

I'd really like to see a polygonal GP32 game character someday soon.

mr.mirko posted on Feb 12 2004 at 01:55 AM said:
It is not possible to get a full speed emulated gba, but
it is possible to Simulate a gba in full speed.

gba and gp32 useses the same cpucore, so why do we need to emulate the cpu of a gba ?
Just use the arm9 to execute the gba assembler code, and if it goes to sound/video, emulate this stuff...
Coincidently, I mentioned this to a friend who is well up on assembler just last night (over a pint or two). He said it sounded possible and it all hinged on whether calls to the graphics processor etc were made through hardware or the OS. Straying from the thread, I know, but interesting nonetheless...

J(ohn)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha2 posted on Feb 12 2004 at 08:30 AM said:
I think the best you could really hope for is for people to port games in a limited fashion, you arnt going to get a cd into a 128mb SMC, youmight be able to fake a few games. The Resident evil demo looks like a start...curious to know just how much of the original game would fit on a 128 with lower quality BGs and such.
That's true up to a point....most CD based games don't take up much 'data' room. Most of the CD is taken up with music and sound effects, and as GP_SCUMM is proving (with source code of course) you can convert that to OGG or MP3. As for FMV that can be taken out. So in some cases it is possible to fit a CD on a 128 SMC.

As for PSX emu, I reckon rpgchocobo has got it right. pocket PC's are running PSX stuff right now with CPU's faster than the GP, but of the same type. So we may see it one day, but at a much lower speed.

I think the main problem is that some people don't know the differance between emulation and ports. when they see doom running, perhaps they think it is emulated, so they think....doom runs better than on my PSX, so why shouldn't the GP run the rest of my games faster than a PSX. And if it does that, hey, why not N64? etc

Dozer posted on Feb 12 2004 at 09:58 AM said:
moz posted on Feb 12 2004 at 09:14 AM said:
does this mean no xbox emulator? :eek:
fxbox32 is in its beta stages... or so i heard ;)
Yeah iv'e seen it running. You need to add some expansions through the EXT port though....like an xbox connected to a car battery...

VirtuaLeech posted on Feb 12 2004 at 08:50 AM said:
I think most questions are not that stupid. Most of these questions are asked by people who fall into one of the two following groups.

The first group are people with no technical knowledge who just see an old(er) console and a new console (the GP32) and think; this console is over 10 years old, surely the GP32 must be able to emulate this.

This also includes people, like the CD32 question, who just liked the CD32 in their time and do know nothing about it's Amiga heritage. So the GP32 not being able to emulate an Amiga is of no interest to them.

The second, more 'technically', group of people just sees things like screen resolution, processor speed and RAM. If the GP32 matches this or even surpasses this (case of PS) surely there must be no problem emulating this on the GP32.

So I think, from their point of view, they are asking a valid question. Explaining why this can't be done is very usefull since a simple no just doesn't stop them from asking the same question, for a different console, over and over again.

Now if you will excuse me I'll go back working on my PS2 emulator. You see I just found out the GP32 has 16bit graphics and the PS2 just 24. This leaves only 8bits to emulate, shouldn't be that hard ;)
Most questions are not stupid when they are asked for the first time. But all of those questions have
been answered like a hundred times.
You might be right with the 2 groups of people, but:

- non-technical people should know things like: a CD32 used CDs. CDs have a lot of storage capacity, a
lot more than 128mb. This one fact makes an emulator impossible or quite restrained at least. The power
of that machine does not matter then.

- the more technical people should've read all those explanations about how much power emulation
consumes. You can't emulate a playstation just because the GP32 runs at a slightly faster speed.
Some years ago I read about a rule of thumb on emulation that said you need at least ten times the power of the
original machine, and I think this works for machines without a lot of custom chips only.

Another thing is, you shouldn't forget different hardware architectures. So a ppc processor is reported to
be a lot faster than a (strong-) arm processor even when running at the same clockspeed.

The people who have ppc's and use the PSX emu(I am one :D ) rip the games by taking out the movies and replacing them with blank files. That is how you would make it smaller to fit on a 128mb SMC. Use CloneCD, Isobuster and things like that,

ah ok..well, you should prolly do a 'What is emulation' and a 'What can be emulated' pinned thread or even a complete 'Noob-forum'. Not that i wouldnt salute new ppl, everyone is a beginner at the first place and the scene needs 'fresh-meet' - but to keep the sometimes too serious answers ;) away from here. Dont get me wrong, i wont call my self a gp32-expert (havent done any gp32 coding yet), but some questions and the seqiential answers got my already much too small brain almost imploding.
Anyway - gp32scene is greate - go to hell mr Z.O. diac

actually i found something like that

About the missing 8bit to emulate a PS2 .. hehe, greate ;)
I connected my CD32 with the GP32 - just because each of them got 32 cords.

The idea above about a noobie section with what can and can't be emulated including other simular 'beginner' questions is a very good idea. Just have to be careful that people will still reply to questions that occur. The death of any scene is ignoring the 'new comers'

I think it may be possible to emulate PSX if you have a Virtual PC emulate running instead of the MultiFirm. Then you can run PC emulate on the Virtual PC.

:rolleyes:

Back