Thief 4 not dead!

Garrett

Advanced Member
gameinformer

Have to admit, I'd long since put it out of my mind.

Still not too optimistic about how the final product will turn out.. as you may have guessed from my moniker I'm a bit of a fan & have replayed the series (yes incl Deadly Shadows) & mods probably more than any other games.

Media incoming soon & I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I'm feeling all protective of the franchise.. 'they better not have forgotten this or screwed up that' etc & please in the name of all that's holy keep Stephen Russell as Garrett.. pathetic eh!  c'est la vie

UPDATE:

Here's a recent podcast with a few of the devs.. hasn't managed to allay all of my concerns, but at least they seem to be aware of what makes the franchise great

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2013/03/29/special-edition-podcast-thief.aspx

& some in game screenshots

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/03/06/exclusive-thief-screenshots.aspx

Here's the first trailer..

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6jHMx6nLco8?feature=oembed

I'm praying that voiceover is just a placeholder

Here's the first live gameplay from E3.. Arrggh! can hardly watch..

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7h5jx0/thief-e3-2013--stealth-gameplay-demo--stream-

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks good, but I don't have any hope of this being good... I'll stick with TDM...

yes, but not only...

some developer comments are frightening like:

"Ten to fifteen years ago you'd have to watch the guards patrol and wait for a moment to move. If the guards saw you, it wasn't game over, but you might as well have pressed the reset button."

hum, i guess it was a stealth game ten to fifteen years ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, thief 3 was rather good even if it didn't have that little thief touch the previous episode had... I prefer the dark mod over thief3 personally...

Anyone remember MANHUNT?? [the first one] That was a great stealth game too.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for T4 for years. I loooove the Thief series, itsw been so good so far.

And the studio building this is the same studio that pulled off Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which is _EXCELLENT_. (in a year with Skyrim and Portal 2 I'd still say it was the top game.)

But its not the same team .. just the same studio, I think. Still, they could do it. I hope they pull it off :)

(I don't even care if its the same storyline or the like .. be nice, but really, if they dor GX:HR and put it into medievil, and ahd the same feal of the previous games, I'd be happy.)

jeff

It's not Thief 4, Jeff - they're rebooting Thief, so this will be Lord Bafford's all over again.

I was initially skeptical, but seeing the great job this team did on Deus Ex and Tomb Raider, I'm less afraid that it will be a cop-out. However, they have confirmed that there won't be any supernatural stuff going on, which is quite a concern for me.

D.

I really didn't care for the supernatural stuff in Thief 1; I liked the thieving part.. sneaking around, avoiding the metal floorings, etc; manipulating the environment to better suit my goals, and stealing as much stuff as I could; I completed Thief 1, and it was fun and all.. but as you went furhter into the game it became less about the thieving and more about killing the fire-guys or whatever, as I recall. At the time I rather wished it had stuck to the stealth thieving action.

I think T2 and T3 corrected that, being more about the sneaking.

So if they're doing T1 and calling it T4.. fine, whatever.. I really liked Baffords etc; but if they're skipping the supernatural bits, then .. its not really a remake of T1, is it? Considering half or 2/3 of that game was supernatural ;)

Admittedly, there was some really col level design IIRC, twisting insane halls and stuff. And the rope arrows of awesomeness (none of this climbing-claws BS :)

jeff

Loved the rope-arrows in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (helluva game), now I know where they took them from :) Gotta play Thief someday...

yes, they somehow improved things a little bit but still, there's no chance it gets anywhere near the old thiefs or the dark mod in term of gameplay...

I've not had time to follow or analyse .. how is it looking .. how is it gone wrong?

(I really liked Thief 1, though wish it had stayed more thiefy and less epic-underworld; I even liked Deadly Shadows, though climbing claws are a failure compared to the rope arrows :)

Problem 1: Not using the voice of the original voice-actor .. why?!!? :)

I do have some faith.. the studio making it, is at least the same studio who did Deus Ex:HR; different teams for sure, but that studio is in my good books just for DX:HR; in a year of Skyrim and Portal 2, DX:HR I still think was the top game (amazing music, great gameplay, good plotting, amazing atmosphere and art design..)

jeff

Back