Just bought a GP32

=E=

Hi , I don't know how helpful you guys are but I hope you can help me.
I have just bought a GP32 FLU (I think, it has a little knob on the backside of the unit, you can switch the light on and off??)
It works great but the person who had it before me he liked games I don't really like..I don't really like violence or fighting like I do have on my GP32 , so would be nice if I could figure out how I can put my own files on it. I have windows 10 and XP on my Mac running in an virtual machine called Parallels desktop. I don't know if that helps, but I have tried different drivers for the GP32 that I have found on google. And programs thats supposedly should be able to transfer files back and forth. I have found some program called "Squidgelink" and with that I can only delete/remove files (sometimes, not always) so I have removed a couple of files, but I thought I would be able to transfer new files over, but no. That didn't work. Any ideas?
All programs only work on my virtual machine on the XP side.
I also found GP32 Manager, but I have not had any luck with that one. Any help would be great guys. I just want to have some fun with this oldie :) I had it back in 2000 (something) but I cannot remember how I did back then.
Any help at all would make me soooo happy (as you can imagine if you also love this device still after all these years) :D

edit. I change the text where I said I like girly games because I made rygD upset and I have talked about it in private, but I change the text so I won't be sexist about what girls/women/men/boys like. I never ment to say it like that. I just told how I PERSONALLY as a girl, do not like violence or fighting games. I cannot speak for every girl/women. And I would never...again I am truly sorry.

Last edited:
I've never had a GP32 (I'm here for the Pandora and Pyra, but this thread came up on my feeds), but can't you eject the MMC card and put it into a card reader, and manipulate it from there on your PC? Based on a quick check, it seems multi-card readers you can buy today still take MMC cards, and hopefully windows can still read and write FAT16 filesystems.

Edit: Also, don't mind RygD being sassy.

The GP32 used SMC Cards. Getting an SMC Card reader now could be a bit harder.
[doublepost=1477014922,1477014870][/doublepost]Could you let us know which firmware is installed on the GP32?

I've never had a GP32 (I'm here for the Pandora and Pyra, but this thread came up on my feeds), but can't you eject the MMC card and put it into a card reader, and manipulate it from there on your PC? Based on a quick check, it seems multi-card readers you can buy today still take MMC cards, and hopefully windows can still read and write FAT16 filesystems.

Edit: Also, don't mind RygD being sassy.
Thank you for being kind and having a good mind I never thought about that myself I was so caught up in why windows didn't work with the programs and drivers that that was all I was thinking. I am not the best person when it comes to windows and how it works as I am a mac user and have been for a very long time, so I was and still am very confused, lol.
I hope I can find a multi card reader here in Sweden all I saw just now was just for new cards, sadly. But perhaps they do have the smc but they just do not mention it. Will have to look in person in stores if I can find anything.

But would be cool if I somehow could use the right drivers and program so if someone wanna help I will be here and look if anyone have answered.

Hi :) I got one NLU myself the other month only. Never had any luck with the WIn 7 interpreter for the GP32 manager, and foollowed stoni´s advice on the gp2x.de board, so yes, you ought to do what levi said, goes for any device, look for a SD card reader that still reads this outdated SMC format ;) I got help and found one for around 8 Euro via amazon.de (if link needed, i can provide,...) and never had any problems exchanging games (Giana Sisters and what I most wanted, Doom, but this is nothing for you) ;) I have Windows 8.1 but even the Pandora via USB hub recognizes it, I use the Pandora sometimes as sort of a GP32 "file manager"

[doublepost=1477014922,1477014870][/doublepost]Could you let us know which firmware is installed on the GP32?
Hello I can if you or someone tell me how I can find out :)
[doublepost=1477015519][/doublepost]
Hi :) I got one NLU myself the other month only. Never had any luck with the WIn 7 interpreter for the GP32 manager, and foollowed stoni´s advice on the gp2x.de board, so yes, you ought to do what levi said, goes for any device, look for a SD card reader that still reads this outdated SMC format ;) I got help and found one for around 8 Euro via amazon.de (if link needed, i can provide,...) and never had any problems exchanging games (Giana Sisters and what I most wanted, Doom, but this is nothing for you) ;) I have Windows 8.1 but even the Pandora via USB hub recognizes it, I use the Pandora sometimes as sort of a GP32 "file manager"
Hi :) that's cool would be nice with the link if they are shipping to Sweden ? Thank you!

Ah, so it uses a Smartmedia card, not MMC? Blimey, I'd completely forgotten about those. Yeah, finding a card reader for those might be hard, but looking on amazonuk I can see a couple of old USB2 multicard readers that still support it. But newer readers that support USB3 or more compact readers tend to drop SM and also Fuji's extreme digital format, and newer ones still drop memorystick. But USB2 should be more than fast enough for the size of file the GP32 takes.

Edit: Amusing that if I use the standard abbreviation for extreme digital here, it comes out as xD ;)

Hi I have googled like crazy since you asked me and I finally have the answer on what I have ; fw version : 1.5.7 (2002.1.10) hope it helps
[doublepost=1477016620][/doublepost]
Ah, so it uses a Smartmedia card, not MMC? Blimey, I'd completely forgotten about those. Yeah, finding a card reader for those might be hard, but looking on amazonuk I can see a couple of old USB2 multicard readers that still support it. But newer readers that support USB3 or more compact readers tend to drop SM and also Fuji's extreme digital format, and newer ones still drop memorystick. But USB2 should be more than fast enough for the size of file the GP32 takes.

Edit: Amusing that if I use the standard abbreviation for extreme digital here, it comes out as xD ;)
Yes a really old card :) thanks I'm gonna try amazon and have a look thank you!

edit. I change the text where I said I like girly games because I made rygD upset and I have talked about it in private, but I change the text so I won't be sexist about what girls/women/men/boys like. I never ment to say it like that. I just told how I PERSONALLY as a girl, do not like violence or fighting games. I cannot speak for every girl/women. And I would never...again I am truly sorry.
Thanks for changing it. As I said in private, some will probably think I read too much into it or something. I think everyone understood what you meant, I just dislike those stereotypes, and they don't fit my experience with people.

No worries, and I didn't want to make you feel unwelcome our that you can't say what you think or feel. I frequently have something to comment about, so don't take it personally. Again, we are glad to have you here.

Edit: Also, don't mind RygD rygD being sassy.
Exactly this!

Enough with the off topic. I will leave you in the hands of those who can actually help you.

Btw, the Dragon Box Shop (linked above) belongs to @EvilDragon, and he keeps our handhelds (and consoles) running. As an enthusiast, he is also involved in making the kinds of things we enjoy, and he goes well beyond the responsibility of a typical merchant. He also brought these open source handheld communities together.

another thing about SMC cards is they are easily corrupted/damaged. please take care when handling this media. i still have my first digital camera (Olympus Camedia c-3040 Zoom) and if i attempt to erase photos with the SMC card in an external reader, it will tend to get messed up and need to be formatted. have to do all operations with the card still in the camera, and connect the camera itself to the computer... and format the card with the camera as well.

Btw, the Dragon Box Shop (linked above) belongs to @EvilDragon, and he keeps our handhelds (and consoles) running. As an enthusiast, he is also involved in making the kinds of things we enjoy, and he goes well beyond the responsibility of a typical merchant. He also brought these open source handheld communities together.

Thanks for letting me know about the dragon box shop. @EvilDragon seems like a hero in my eyes! Awesome!
[doublepost=1477044320,1477044074][/doublepost]
another thing about SMC cards is they are easily corrupted/damaged. please take care when handling this media. i still have my first digital camera (Olympus Camedia c-3040 Zoom) and if i attempt to erase photos with the SMC card in an external reader, it will tend to get messed up and need to be formatted. have to do all operations with the card still in the camera, and connect the camera itself to the computer... and format the card with the camera as well.
Uh oh, seems scary. And sad. Thanks for the warning! Maybe that is why I get errors at times. But everything on it seems ok,so I don't know.

Are there any links for the gp32 free launcher still? I would hate to loose that one. But then again at the moment I cannot do anything else than remove stuff on the unit. Cannot add.

I like how the SMC look, but they are fragile though. The reason why I can't do anything with it at the moment is the empty-SMC I have, it removed all the content. One of the things that happen with FAT16, just like the even older floppy drive.
The GP32 itself is great though. The FLU (I also have the FLU) is not always stable, as it was build-in unlike the BLU that had the light function already. For me the light sometimes doesn't work and have to switch it off/on again.

Anyone tried an SMC-alternative like a SMC-to-XD adapter yet?

Card reader: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282193916492

Firmware:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/resources/categories/firmwares.80/

I remember when I got my gp32. It was the coolest handheld I had ever seen. There was nothing like it. enjoy
Thank you! How do I know what firmware I should have on mine?
I am also interested to know about the SMC-to-XD adapter as I saw it on Amazon earlier. I was looking for a solution to have more space because 128mb is really not that much as we all know..

And does anyone know if it IS the FLU version I have? It has a little knob/switch(?) I don't know the word haha on the backside of the unit, and with it I can turn the light off or on.
[doublepost=1477067522,1477067468][/doublepost]
I like how the SMC look, but they are fragile though. The reason why I can't do anything with it at the moment is the empty-SMC I have, it removed all the content. One of the things that happen with FAT16, just like the even older floppy drive.
The GP32 itself is great though. The FLU (I also have the FLU) is not always stable, as it was build-in unlike the BLU that had the light function already. For me the light sometimes doesn't work and have to switch it off/on again.

Anyone tried an SMC-alternative like a SMC-to-XD adapter yet?
see above post I just made please I forgot to quote you too.. sorry (and thank you!)
edit: I forgot to add with that adapter we can maximum only have 2gb card, right? because of the fat16 format that GP32 can read? Or can it also read fat32? So many questions :) Oh. and how do one go about to format a new card into fat16 all I ever saw was fat32 on windows.

It sounds like an flu to me so I think you want the flu euro firmware but I would wait until someone else chimes in before flashing.

I believe the smc to xd adapters work but I you can still only use 128mb. It's been a bit since I really dived into my gp32.

It sounds like an flu to me so I think you want the flu euro firmware but I would wait until someone else chimes in before flashing.

I believe the smc to xd adapters work but I you can still only use 128mb. It's been a bit since I really dived into my gp32.
Yes, I will wait until more chimes in if it is the FLU feels like its very important to know for sure.
Oh, thats a bummer if you still only can use 128mb. Are you sure about this? Do you own the adapter yourself or? Thank you!

I don't think XD cards go any bigger than 128mb either. You'd need a SM-MMC adaptor or SM-SD, but I've never seen one of those in the wild. I think most people who had a lot of stuff for their gp32s just ended up with more than one card. Maybe some people here with Gp32s they don't really use anymore might have old SM cards they could sell.

Back